It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Impacted Wisdom Tooth

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-18-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
    Dental Phobia

Dental Phobia HB User
    Question Impacted Wisdom Tooth

I finally picked up the courage to see a dentist a dentist after 10 years.... Just had an impacted premolar removed by an OS under a local last week. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be... had to cut the tooth into 2 pieces, had a couple of stiches, hurt for a couple of days and was back to eating normal solid food again after 5 days...
    However, I have a horizontally impacted lower wisdom tooth that needs to be removed soon... Kind of freakin out as I had read about the pain and horror often associated with impacted wisdom tooth removal.. Has anyone had a partial bony horizontally wisdom tooth removed? OS said he will have to cut some bone and raise the gum flap to get to it.
    Kind of worried too as I'm 30 and I heard that the risk of nerve injury increases with age... Should I even worry about it????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2004, 11:13 PM   #2
    Kikki
    (female)

Kikki HB User
    Re: Impacted Wisdom Tooth

One thing we always hear a lot about are all of the BAD things that could go wrong. No one ever tells about the GOOD things. [short story: Lost my wallet (stupid me - left it on the trunk of my car and drove off); picked up by a postman. He called me; I went to pick it up - all $72 dollars and gift cards still in there Wanted to give him a reward or something. He said that the best thing I could do was to please write a short letter to his supervisor as this would go in his file. I had never thought of that (I write more good letters now) but he said that people are always jumping to complain or write/call with issues, but no one ever takes the time to extend a complement; moral: write positive notes to supers and realize that the GOOD always gets overlooked - its the BAD we always hear about!]

Try not to focus on all of the bad things that can happen. Be aware, but don't dwell on them. The very large majority of people who have impacted wisdom teeth removed have no problems. Even being 30, yes your risks are a bit higher, but still not high. Nerve damage is a possibility, but not probable.

I will tell you my good story. I had 6 wisdom teeth - an extra 2 on the bottom (I would be strange that way ) Removing the extra 2 was indeed a feat, requiring a good bit of bone cut away but I was really no worse for the wear. No nerve damage. There was some extra pain and swelling associated but it was by no means unmanageable. I would all in all consider it either a "nonevent" or at most a "very minor event" in my life. A week after its done, you will forget all about it!

Good luck with your extractions - the worst part is the anticipation!

Old 07-19-2004, 01:55 AM   #3
    Dental Phobia

Dental Phobia HB User

Yes, you're right - sometimes we worry too much.... esp. me...
    I get myself all worked up for a dental appointment and it's difficult to get it out of my head that it's no big deal.... My husband often jokes about it and says that I need a 'BRAIN' surgery instead of a dental surgery..
    Thank you for the kind words. I feel much better now.
    This board has really helped me. It's good to know that some people share the same fears. Bravo to you for having all 6 teeth out at the same time.. If 6 did not seem to be a big deal, I guess I'll survive ... I only need to remove one..

Old 07-19-2004, 11:20 AM   #4
    cbohning

cbohning HB User

I had 4 bony impacted wisdom teeth removed about 6 weeks ago. Everything was fine. I am 31 so I was worried about being a little older also. My OS also warned me about nerve damage- it was no problem at all. That is just something they have to warn you of. It is a risk but not very likely. The only complecation I had was that I got dry socket - very painful but healed up in about 4-5 days. Just listen to your OS orders and you will be fine.

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2004, 11:28 AM   #5
    dwalke

dwalke HB User
    Wink Re: Impacted Wisdom Tooth

i would be upset they didnt take them both out at the same time........
    My 2 bottoms were horizontal impacted those took a little longer to heal, 3-4 days, watch if you need to sneeze, cough, or spit cuzz theyll hurt like hell
    Keep you gauze in a little longer after the blood stops or use a tea bag so you dont get dry sockett, I smoked :30 minutes after my surgery than regulary after that, and I think that helped preventing dry sockett for me

Good luck, but you wont need it

Old 07-19-2004, 12:51 PM   #6
    Kikki
    (female)

Kikki HB User

Its funny - I had back surgery a few years ago and because of the proceedure I was having they video taped the dr. reading all of the possible risks. Stuff like paralisis, death, all sorts of stuff. It was very wierd to hear it as opposed to just breezing over a sheet of paper like I had done in the past. The truth was that these things almost never happen, but the dr. has to tell you about it. The video was just extra protection (after all, everyone is out to sue these days - I think it is sad). Even when I had my wisdom teeth out, they said that death was a posibility - and I didn't have any sedation. But informed consents are SCAREY if you start to really look at them!

Old 07-19-2004, 11:36 PM   #7
    Dental Phobia

Dental Phobia HB User

Thanks for the encouragement.. I will have mine done in a couple of weeks after the premolar site heals 100% .....
    I'm planning to have a local for the surgery... anyone has done this under a local??? I know I will probably not feel anything... just curious how it went?

Old 07-20-2004, 11:38 AM   #8
    Kikki
    (female)

Kikki HB User

When I had all 6 of my wisdom teeth out, I only had a local as nitrous oxide causes me to have horrible migraines (I am probably the only person in the world that has such a response, but I did 2 times and that was enough for me - I don't have a detal phobia, so I make it through just fine) and just plain don't care for IV sedation. They numbed me up so well they could have taken a hammer to my teeth and I would not have felt it. It didn't bother me at all. You WILL know very well what is going on and that can be a bit unnerving for some people, particularly if they have to break the teeth because it does sound like bone breaking (I got to hear LOTS of this ) If this is going to bother you, maybe see if your OS will prescribe you a valium to take before your appointment? Many people do this.

In short, you will have no problems with only a local. Just try to relax, and maybe take some headphones and a relaxing (or your favorite) CD with you to listen to - then you won't be able to hear all that is going on quite so much.

Old 07-20-2004, 08:23 PM   #9
    Doppler4000

Doppler4000 HB User

How many of your wisdom teeth do you have left in your head? If you have the means, you might want to talk to your oral surgeon about taking an IV (why not make it easy on yourself?) and getting them all done at the same time. Sounds like a lot, but you'll never have to think about any of them again down the road.

Last edited by Doppler4000; 07-20-2004 at 08:24 PM.

Closed Thread