It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• nerve pain after wisdom teeth extraction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2004, 11:05 AM   #1
    mxx299

mxx299 HB User
    nerve pain after wisdom teeth extraction

Hi!

I had four wisdom teeth extracted several years ago, and since then, have experienced tingling pain on the left side of my lower lip. The sensation extends down to the left part of my chin and is numb to touch. Sometimes I do not experience the tingling, but usually it comes back when I have canker sores, or have touched the lip often.

My dental surgeon then had told me then that the tingling could be permanent, because the nerve had been exposed during the surgery. I am sure there must be some remedies out there to completely eliminate the tingling and numbness.

I am feeling excruciating pain and numbness now, because I have a canker sore under the lip, which has aggravated the nerve and caused the entire left side of my lip and chin to be sore.

I have also felt the numbness since beginning clarinet lessons again, having stopped for over ten years. Not sure if I will continue with it.

Please provide me with any suggestions. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 11:09 PM   #2
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User
    Re: nerve pain after wisdom teeth extraction

My dentist also told me that if the nerve is hit and irritated when taking out wisdom teeth it can cause permanent damage.

Old 08-17-2004, 10:12 AM   #3
    dale2004
    (male)

dale2004 HB User

It sounds like neuralgia. You could try contacting your doctor for some medication to calm the nerve down.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:29 PM   #4
    mxx299

mxx299 HB User

I really hate to think it would be permanent damage. Are there other options to help the nerve, besides medication? i.e. acupuncture? Anyone there who has had this tingling, and the tingling stopped after three or four years? It seems that activities such as swimming and playing the clarinet have been aggravating it also lately.

Old 08-17-2004, 03:05 PM   #5
    dale2004
    (male)

dale2004 HB User

I had some nerve damage following tooth extractions (not wisdom teeth though) but I had mainly severe pain across my teeth rather then the tingling sensation that you are experiencing. My doctor told me that it is usually temporary and gave me medication which eased the pain a lot. This all happened a couple of months ago so I'm still waiting to see if it will clear up fully or not. I swim a lot too and don't get any discomfort any more whilst doing so, although I sometimes get discomfort whilst eating and cleaning my teeth etc. I'm sure some sports I would find uncomfortable. You really need to see a neurologist to get an accurate diagnosis.

Old 10-28-2004, 05:26 PM   #6
    littlelola

littlelola HB User

Try some clove oil. It's an anesthetic but should be used mixed with water I believe cause it is so strong. It will numb the area I believe. Try to find some info on it. There are also oils out there to numb canker sores.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:20 AM   #7
    dale2004
    (male)

dale2004 HB User

Oh the old nerve damage following tooth extractions - I know this well! Yes, it probably is a form of neuralgia. I have exactly the same, sometimes it's just a tingling numbness feeling, and sometimes I have severe pain from it. It is also aggravated when I go swimming, which I like to do a lot. There are a number of medications that the doctor can offer you, the main one being Tegretol. I take Amitriptyline for the pain as I also have fibromyalgia, but the side-effects of the drug can be too much for some people. Luckily for me it isn't too bad.

To get an accurate diagnosis, you need to see a neurologist who will be able to advise you further. I'll do that sooner than later if the pain is getting worse.

What I find sometimes helps is a deep therapeutic massage around the top of the neck and jaw area. I've no idea why this works but it just seems to relieve some of the tension or impingement that may be on the nerve.

Good luck, and feel free to ask if you need to know anything else.

Closed Thread