It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• crown/cracked tooth question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-28-2004, 06:10 AM   #1
    desmoface

desmoface HB User
    crown/cracked tooth question

Hey gang, I had a toothache from a cracked molar, the dentist had me bite on this stick, and he also tapped my tooth to see if he could isolate where the pain was and he couldn't get it to hurt...It did hurt sometimes when I ate certain foods...he said it could be hydraulic? where the food was forcing liquid into the crack, 2 cracks actually running vertically...well, the dentist said that I needed a crown to stabilize the tooth..he also said that he couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't also need a root canal..

So, he preps the tooth for the crown, upon grinding down the tooth the cracks dont appear to be all the way through the tooth..he puts on the temporary...I wake up the next morning, toothache is gone..Good sign..

Anyway, he tells me to favor the other side of my mouth when eating...Im horrified that when I start eating on the crowned tooth the toothache will return..I've tried eating on it a bit now and it does get a little sore, but its not like toothache pain/a sharp pain, its more like a muscle pain, I know its hard to explain..I'm thinking its because I havent' used the tooth in a week...

Anyway, has anyone else had a similar situation and did it need a root canal? I have to be honest, root canal is not on the list of things I want to do before I die..but if it has to be done, I'll do it...Thanks again for any advice..

Steve Z

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2004, 05:48 PM   #2
    twanger
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twanger HB User
    Re: crown/cracked tooth question

I now am going through the same thing. I had a tooth that hurt when I ate cold things. The dentist said that it was cracked and put some bonding on it and said that the tooth would heal itself in 6 weeks and that I would have a little pain until then. He did not want to do a root canal yet. I don't eat on that side because I am afraid of the pain coming back.

How are you doing now?

Closed Thread