It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Halcion for Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2004, 08:22 AM   #1
    ktnap
    (female)

ktnap HB User
    Halcion for Surgery

I am having gum grafting (4 of them) done on Thursday and they have prescribed Halcion for the procedure. I had this same procedure last year with 8 grafts but opted for IV sedation at that time, so I wanted to find out a little bit more on the drug sedation.

I searched these boards and, although I did find that Halcion has been used by others for this type of procedure, it doesn't seem my periodontist has prescribed it in same way as others were prescribed. I have filled the prescription he gave me.

However, my surgery has been rescheduled from a 10:30 time to a 12:10 time. The "receptionist" I talked to said I should take one pill the night before, and another pill in the morning. However, since my surgery isn't until noon and I am an early riser (4:30 a.m. folks!) I'm wondering if I should wait a bit closer to surgery to take it....???

It appears from other posts on this board that they took theirs only an hour before the appt.

I'd call again, but I'm sure I'd get the same girl. I expressed the same concern to her but I feel the dr. would say differently IF I could speak to him and I doubt it.

Can anyone give me their personal experience and the time levels involved??? I would SO appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2004, 08:29 AM   #2
    omysty
    Inactive

omysty HB User
    Re: Halcion for Surgery

Hi,

I'm having 4 grafts as well next week, and they give me xanax to take before and a double dose of Aleve script 550mg for main and then the local in the office? What is the halicon is that for IV sedation?

Thanks,

Dana

Old 08-29-2004, 08:38 AM   #3
    ktnap
    (female)

ktnap HB User

Hi Dana (again),

No, Halcion is in pill form. I've done a bit of reading on it. It's normally prescribed for sleeping problems. I guess it's a sleeping pill they used to use before Ambien (which isn't as strong as Halcion).

I don't quite understand how a sleeping pill would be good for a dental procedure (seems like my head will be nodding and perhaps snoring but doing a search on this board, it looks like it's quite common for sedation during dental surgery.

Kathy

Old 08-29-2004, 08:35 PM   #4
    Kikki
    (female)

Kikki HB User

Halicon is a sedative that is very good for dental proceedures. Your doc gave you one for the night before so that you would get a good night's sleep before having to come in, which will help you relax and help with your healing afterwards. Additionally, that way you won't just plain stay up and fret. You probably won't be waking up at 430 on the morning of your appointment, but thats ok. Then take the next one sometime between 1 and 2 hours before your appointment. I think when you were told "in the morning" that didn't mean at 430 in the morning, but more like 1030-1100 in the morning!

Old 08-31-2004, 07:43 AM   #5
    Dance4jc
    Veteran

Dance4jc HB User

Katnipped,
    I used it before one of my oral surgeries. It worked well. I had no problems.

~Dance

Old 08-31-2004, 08:13 AM   #6
    lancethechip

lancethechip HB User

I thought it was called Halcyon. Like the Orbital song, Halcyon + On + On. The Hartnoll's (the brothers in Orbital) mother had an addiction to Halcyon so they wrote a song about it...

Old 08-31-2004, 02:38 PM   #7
    omysty
    Inactive

omysty HB User

Hi Kathy,

I just talked to the periodonist, and I asked her about the halicon, she suggested the xanax, more relaxation, sedation with it. Thought I'd pass that on to you. I thought it would be something I would want to try, but they don't prescribe it. (halicon) He gave me 3 1mg. xanax, 1or 2 for sleep, or 1 0r 2 1 to 2hours prior to surgery.

Dana

Closed Thread