It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Tooth Extraction - retained root?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2005, 06:12 AM   #1
    meesoo
    (female)

meesoo HB User
    Unhappy Tooth Extraction - retained root?

Dear All

Would like some advice from other readers. Way back in Sept of last year I had root canal treatment to an upper molar tooth. It was quite a difficult procedure (trying to use as diplomatic terms as poss to avoid panic to other patients). Following the root canal my tooth never seemed to feel quite right - i had a lot of discomfort in the form of a dull throbbing. This eventually became too much to bear and i returned to the dentist, thinking he would call me a wimp! Infact he said i had been biting down on the tooth and hence causing unecessary pain - stating that i should have gone back before now! The tooth was then supposed to calm down? after another two weeks of waiting and constant nagging from family i returned to tell dentist that it still wasnt right.

I had come to the end of the road to save the tooth - and the dentist said an extraction was the only alternative. As the tooth had been root canal filled during the extraction it fractured and the remaining roots were drilled and dug out.. nice! A stitch was put in place to close me up and i was sent on my way. The dentist did inform me that part of the root had disappeard and he was concerned that it may have entered the sinus? That night i woke in the early hours with a nose bleed - not too dramatic but it just seemed strange. The pain in my face, jaw, etc was profound and to be honest i just laid on the sofa and wallowed.

After two days of the constant throbbing i woke on Friday with my nose running this time with blood stained fluid. I was immediately seen by the dentist again as he had hinted this may happen ..infact telling me that i may need to visit hosp for them to retreive the root fragment. I was issued with antibiotics and nasal spray and the hosp appt arranged quite swiftly (tomorrow).

Stitch is now out Tues 8th ..face aches and gum around the tooth extraction is v bruised. Would like to know if anyone else has had this prob. Also if the root fragment has entered the sinus is it ok to be left alone or will it cause another infection? If it has to be retreived what is involved - i do like to be pre warned on any new procedures

Any advice or ideas would be very helpful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
    shakin
    (female)

shakin HB User
    Re: Tooth Extraction - retained root?

sorry to hear the pain your going through, sorry i can't offer you any advise here but i hope it gets sorted soon, let us know.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:55 AM   #3
    meesoo
    (female)

meesoo HB User

Hi Shakin

Thanks for your thoughts ..have been to hospital and x ray shows two retained roots. one i presume is quite high within the socket but the other has snook itself into my sinus (oh what joy!) Thankfully i have been booked into hosp for next Wednesday where they will operate to remove both roots ..not looking forward to that procedure much but at least its a step in right direction away from 'face ache' i have lol

I will post again once the op is over

Old 02-11-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
    shakin
    (female)

shakin HB User

Oh i am sorry to hear this but will be thinking about you on Wednesday, pity the dentist didn't send you to hospital in the first place to have the tooth out. Not that you will need it but 'Good Luck'

Old 02-17-2005, 09:22 AM   #5
    meesoo
    (female)

meesoo HB User

Hi there

Op over thank goodness and bit 'tender' of course with a face like a hamster ha ha. Hopefully on the mend from now on but may be a bit reserved about my next dentist check up!

Many thanks for your thoughts ..its nice to think other people care too.

All the best Meesoo

Old 02-17-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
    shakin
    (female)

shakin HB User

hi meesoo
    Glad its all over with now, did it take long? Hope you will soon be back to normal, and yes i would think about changing dentists.

Old 02-17-2005, 01:58 PM   #7
    suggi
    Veteran
    (female)

suggi HB User

meesoo
    Who did the surgery on you? An oral surgeon, an Ear nose & throat doc., who? My ENT is not with the same hospital as my gastroenterologist and I am afraid to not be in the same hospital as the gastro because I have Crohn's disease and could have some bad bleeding from the colon. Anything could start it up from antibiotics to pain medication to you name it.
    I am wondering because I have to get a crowned root canalled upper tooth pulled with roots in the sinuses and now I am scared stiff. It has to come out as the dentist thinks there is a crack as it hurts and a dead tooth should not hurt. Please write and let us know. I am allergic to most antibiotics and those I am not allergic to I can not take high doses of because of the Crohn's disease. I hope you see this post before I get the tooth out. Thanks.

suggi

Old 02-17-2005, 02:35 PM   #8
    shakin
    (female)

shakin HB User

suggi, just make sure they are aware of your medical condition and i am sure you will be fine, they would not continue treatment if there were any doubts. Will be thinking of you.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:51 AM   #9
    meesoo
    (female)

meesoo HB User

Dear Suggi

Sorry to hear your having probs with teeth.. believe me I will be glad to be pain free. My operation was done by an Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon and up to now there doesnt seem to be any further problems. If you have other medical issues I would expect they are all detailed on your medical records.. I would of course make sure they are well aware of your concerns before any operation begins. My best wishes to you.. although the surgery sounds daunting I am sure that it is far better than living with constant tooth ache. Will be thinking of you .. let me know how you get on

Closed Thread