It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Invisalign problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
    jkd1971
    (female)

jkd1971 HB User
    Invisalign problems - question for professional or someone who's been there

I am near the end of my invisalign treatment and had a few questions. I have had 8 upper and 12 lower and am on my last set of both right now. I have been on my eighth for about two months now. I've been having a problem with the left upper lateral incisor?(next to the two big teeth). It started to lag in the fourth tray so when I got to the last tray, the dentist shaved down the aligner, put an attachment on the front and back of the tooth, and placed a rubber band on it(the idea was to pull the tooth down into the aligner and it would automatically rotate into place). It was only supposed to take a few days to a few weeks and did not really move at all. I had it for two weeks and ended up cracking the aligner. The dentist ordered me a new one and when I went back she took off the attachments and put a bubble in the aligner so that it would rotate the tooth a little. I went back two weeks later and it had moved very slightly. The dentist then shaved down the aligner(not as much as first time since I had a problem with the cracking), put two slits in the aligner in the back(to hold rubber bands), put an attachment on the front of the tooth and placed two rubber bands on this time. It has been two weeks and I have seen some downward movement finally but it still has a ways to go.

Is it normal for a tooth to take this long to move? The dentist had said it should only take a few days to a few weeks. Maybe I'm the latter case?
    If it doesn't come down all the way and rotate like it should, what are my alternatives?

I have to admit that I have not been totally disciplined with wearing the aligners 20-22 hours a day since the beginning of the treatment. I have been better the last couple of months, I am probably mostly at 20 hours a day. For anyone thinking of invisalign, you really do have to be extremely disciplined.

My next question involves my lower teeth. They are really looking good except for one that looks like it needs to rotate. I will ask my dentist about that on my next visit in a week but my main concern is shifting. If I have my aligners even out for a half hour, they start to shift. I am concerned that my teeth will shift when I'm done with treatment. My dentist said that I should wear the last set of aligners(assuming my teeth are really where they should be) for six weeks and then go into a retainer at night. Will this really make a difference? Is everyone different? I know I will be wearing a retainer at night for the rest of my life but if my teeth are shifting within an hour what difference will that make. I am generally happy with Invisalign but spending so much money for this, I want my teeth to be as straight as possible. If one tooth is out of place, it really does make a difference. Thanks for any advice.

Jill

Last edited by jkd1971; 03-06-2005 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread