It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Suggestions on molar work? Dentist recommends crown but I don't agree.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2005, 06:51 AM   #1
    dman81
    (male)

dman81 HB User
    Suggestions on molar work? Dentist recommends crown but I don't agree.

Hello everyone! I found this forum while doing research on my molar.

Here is my situation, My upper right molar has a large filling, I guess the dentist did this when I was a kid w/o any regard to the consequences I might face.

So now the molar has developed some minor tooth decay and the filling needs to be replaced. But since the filling is going to be too large, the dentist has recommended a crown. I don't want a crown for many reasons but aside from that. What other options do I have?

I found this: [Removed]

This seems promising.

I still need to get a second opinion.

Thanks guys!

[Do not post websites with advertising. Please re-read the board guidelines by clicking the "Posting Rules" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 03-31-2005 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Removed website.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
    soliloquy
    (female)

soliloquy HB User
    Re: Suggestions on molar work? Dentist recommends crown but I don't agree.

"Here is my situation, My upper right molar has a large filling, I guess the dentist did this when I was a kid w/o any regard to the consequences I might face."

Your dentist probably had no choice in how large to make the filling. The size of the filling is usually dictated by the size of the cavity! All decay has to be removed before a filling can be placed.

Another large filling would be an alternative to a crown. Some dentists still do inlays on onlays, which preserve more tooth structure. A crown really provides the strongest restoration for a tooth with a lot of structure already gone. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
    Re: Suggestions on molar work? Dentist recommends crown but I don't agree.

dman,

I've been in your situation (more than once!) and unfortunately, by the time the dentist cleans out the old amalgam and decay, there is usually so little tooth structure left that simply refilling it would normally prove to be a waste of money and time. The newly- filled tooth most likely will be very fragile and almost 100% bound to fracture sooner rather than later. IF the old filling was tiny then there would be a chance to preserve enough tooth to live without a crown.

Chances are, opting for a good crown will give you the most longevity! But do get a second opinion...it'll make whatever decision you opt for easier.

zuzu

Closed Thread