It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• PAIN with new fillings - HELP??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2005, 03:54 AM   #1
    Emak

Emak HB User
    PAIN with new fillings - HELP??

Hello, I have 3 new fillings on the top right and whenever I chew on that side they HURT, not extremely bad or anything, but the best way i can describe it is it feels like the teeth are about to break or something, as if there's way more pressure than should be there. chewing the crust of a chicken finger hurts for example. and even when im not eating, it still kind of throbs some times. it also seems to be even worse with hot foods. i got the fillings a week ago, now do you think this will get better, or worse, is it something ill have to live with? be honest... am i going to suffer what could be the cause and/or solution? could i have nerve damage?

Last edited by Emak; 04-06-2005 at 03:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User
    Re: PAIN with new fillings - HELP??

Well, I've had a LOT of new fillings recently and they've almost all been hurting/tender like that for at least a few weeks. Hasn't gotten much worse than you described but then I got a root canal, and the new filling right under that tooth had too high of a bite and once they adjusted that it got a LOT better!! They have been advising me to still take ibprofen though, as recently I just got 3 more done, one very deep and it HURTS there!!! Yes, though, w/ the chewing I wouldn't recommend hot or cold foods, those are the worst...and sushi about killed me toO!!

Old 04-06-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
    Emak

Emak HB User

sorry to hear about your troubles, so do you or anyone else think it's something that will go away over time, or its a permanent part of life now?

Old 04-06-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

Well, my dentist said that it can take up to een a whole month for your mouth to feel not tender anymore w/ deep fillings like that...of course if you get pain so bad it's waking you up in the middle of the night and your always hurting then you may need root canals...but he said the tenderness w/ chewing is normal.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:40 PM   #5
    alig
    Inactive
    (male)

alig HB User

rush and emak, did you guys get white fillings that were done in one apointment (direct composite plastic fillings), or did you get the silver amalgam fillings? I had alot of white fillings done to replace silver ones and they have never felt good since and that was years ago.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:46 AM   #6
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

Hi !

Well I need to ask my dentist what he did last time--so far they have just done amalgam as far as I can tell, yet last few filling they have had to use that laser light thing, and I heard him say resin to the assistant...part of those fillings, on the front teeth, were visible so I'm wondering if he did use some resin for those-I have had the white fillings, a year or so before all this, no pain or probs then at all!! But the pain I'm getting now, is from an area where three diff fillings were done on, and I believe some of these are resin, and some are amalgam, as he only used that light one time in there....the other 2 were done rather quickly, too.

Are there usually problems with getting both resin and amalgam in a close distance in your mouth?

Old 04-08-2005, 09:05 PM   #7
    alig
    Inactive
    (male)

alig HB User

There is not usually problems placing white fillings next to silver ones per se, more so there are often sensitivity problems after white fillings in general. You can tell if the painful teeth have white fillings or silver by looking at them in the mirror usually. And if they used the light gun on you then they definititely are composite fillings. Teeth done on front teeth are almost surely composite/white.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:04 PM   #8
    Emak

Emak HB User

Now, all these new fillings are WHITE. i got 3. before, i have only have 1 white filling and many silver. i have never had problems before. But they did use the LIGHT GUN on me (i have no idea what its for even??? what is the reason for the light gun? is that the thing they aim at your teeth and it beeps whenever its done? i never saw a purpose for it, didnt ask.) So yea, they are white fillings and they used the laser thing, whatever that means.

They are still very sensitive, especially if i chew just right (better yet, wrong), it'll actually hurt, i feel pain driving up through my nerve.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:33 AM   #9
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

Emak that is how mine is too now yet it's only when I chew COLD or HOT stuff NOT anything else, even if it's hard...it is like the sensitivity I already had; just heightened as a result.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:50 PM   #10
    Dreamcatcher Al
    (male)

Dreamcatcher Al HB User

I had my old fillings (16yrs old) on my right side replaced with those new composite white fillings. The blue light gun is used to harden the resin after the dentist fills the cavity since the resin is sensitive to UV light. The dentist then grinds the hardened resin down to match your original bite. This was done about 3 weeks ago. My bite didn't feel right when I left the dentist's office but he said it may feel weird since I was shot up with novacain. My two right upper and lower back molars were clashing when I bit down. I ended up returning 4 days later to have him re-grind the fillings to get rid of the clashing. My bite is better now but I still can't chew anything on that side. Hard foods especially will send lightning down my jaw. Dentist said molars would be sensitive for a few days but didn't say exactly how long.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:00 AM   #11
    alig
    Inactive
    (male)

alig HB User

I had my amalgams replaced about 5 years ago with composites, and now it appears that I am going to have them all replaced again with amalgam, because amalgams work and composites do not. My composites have cost me about three thousand dollars in replacement fees, they have recurrent decay constantly, and they are always sensetive since the day I had them installed. I never had one problem with my amalgams, but I read that removing them might be good for overall health and I was having nasal allergies and looking for a cure to them. In fifteen years of amalgams I never once had recurrent decay in one of them. In five years of having composites, I have had nine replacements done. That is ridiculous. Composites are made of plastic, and they bond to the tooth while the light gun hardens them/shrinks them. When plastic hardens, it shrinks which means it pulls on the sides of your tooth leading to pain inside the tooth, and eventually when the bond gives out, you are left with a void at the margin, leakage and then recurrent decay. Composites have been around for fifty years, but no dentist ever dared to use them on chewing surfaces because they are... plastic. Plastic (which shrink and are weak) + a chewing surface equals problems. Plastics used on chewing surface recently became popular amoung 10% of dentists in correlation with the rise in amalgam hysteria. Nothing about composites has changed intrinsically since they came out. I think gold inlays or porcelain inlays are possibly better than composites, but amalgams are still the best according to 90% of dentists worldwide and according to all major professional and governmental dental bureaus in all countries, regardless of of how some people like to say that sweden and germany have outlawed amalgams..lies. Some of these countries have placed restriction on placing amalgams like in pregant women, etc. The amalgam hysteria proponents use this fact to tell a half truth. Amalgams seal themselves through corrosion. The dirty secret of composites is the shrinkage... imagine the material bonding to the tooth, and at the same time shrinking in size and pulling the lateral walls of the tooth towards the center and bending the walls of the live tooth. It is no wonder these fillings cause pain and when the bond gets tired of holding the tooth walls in a vice grip it lets go and recurrent decay becomes rampant. The mercury and silver in the amalgams is toxic to bacteria and wards off recurrent decay. The best of all is that it does not mess with the tooth. No bending the tooth walls and holding them there. It just sits in the hole in the tooth. And that is why there is no pain after amalgam fillings. It's true that because they aren't bonded the tooth can later break, but teeth break all the time even when they don't have any fillings. The worst thing about composites on chewing surfaces is that since they are in a state of constant recurrent decay (which by the way does not show up on x rays 90% of the time because it is on the side of the filling, not beneath it, and the filling blocks the radiation so you can't see the recurrent decay unless it is beneath the filling) is that since your mouth becomes a perti dish chalk full of bacteria that bacterial infection can spread to other parts of the body, most notably the heart, leading to major diseases.

Last edited by alig; 04-15-2005 at 02:07 AM.

Old 04-20-2005, 08:37 PM   #12
    dabner
    (female)

dabner HB User

First of all- There is no reason that this is something you should have to live with. Call your dentist and explain to them the type of pain you are having and what you are doing when you have it (eating, drinking). When you get a filling they sometimes don't take enough of the material off of the biting surface and it's hard for you to tell if its too high because you'e numb. When this happens, the constant hitting of the filling against the opposing tooth (although you may not feel it hitting) eventually causes the periodontal ligament to bruise and results in pain. Try chewing gum on that side. If you feel a sharp pain then that may be the problem. Many patients also complain of pain when eating chocolate with this condition. Call your dentist. There is no reason for you to have pain.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:35 PM   #13
    jan21
    (female)

jan21 HB User

If you have pain to hot foods that's usually a sign the nerve is involved and you possibly could need a root canal. If its only cold and pressure the fillings are probably too high meaning there's more material you're biting on now and the dentist needs to adjust it to your bite. Either way, see a dentist so they can fix the problem.

Closed Thread