It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Braces and Bone Loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #1
    countrymom

countrymom HB User
    Braces and Bone Loss

I'm due to get my braces on this Friday, however, my ortho now tells me he noticed bone less in my lower jaw (in the front)..he wants me to see a periodontist first. I'm set to see one tomorrow but now I'm worried that I won't be able to get the braces. I wonder why NO DENTIST has ever told me that I had bone loss. I even had a root/scaling (deep cleaning) done on my teeth in November (with full x-rays). Does this mean I probably won't be able to get braces? Does anyone know more about bone loss in the lower jaw? Could it have anything to do with my constant clenching? *sigh*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
    dabner
    (female)

dabner HB User
    Re: Braces and Bone Loss

If you've had to have root scaling it is because you have bone loss and your dentist should have explained to you why you have this bone loss and how to prevent its progression. You have to see a periodontist before the ortho because you are going to have to minimize your pocket depth (areas of bone loss that allow bacteria to get into the gums around the teeth). The ortho can't treat you if you have periodontal disease because 1- it's malpractice and 2- orthodontics involves moving teeth through bone and if you don't have enough bone around your teeth to support this movement then you cannot be treated effectively. Trust your dentist, prio, and ortho to come up with a treatment plan that will work for you. This may be a long process. Bone loss did not happen overnight and you can' t fix it overnight.
    Bone loss usually occurs because of inconsistent oral hygiene. Many people think they are brushing properly but are not. Don't balme yourself, just take the effort to everything right from now and you can see a lot of improvement. I've never seen a case where clenching caused bone loss. Clenching (or grinding) usually effects the chewing surfaces of the teeth and the TMJ.

Old 04-20-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
    Warah
    Inactive
    (female)

Warah HB User

I agree with draber--clenching and grinding are not the causes of periodontal disease (bacterial infection). However, I do feel parafunctional habits do have an impact on the severity of bone loss in perio patients. Research has found that in the presence of inflammation occlusal trauma can increase bone and attachment loss (which increase periodontal pocket formation). Do you have an bite guard?

Old 04-20-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
    countrymom

countrymom HB User

I don't have a bite guard.

I saw the Perio and she said I had a small amt of bone loss under my 2 front bottom teeth. She also thinks the clenching is part of the problem. My gum pockets are 2-3mm. I got the braces on and have to see the perio every 2 months for checkups, etc.

I have had the braces on about a week and have noticed that I don't clench as much. I am wondering if my bite as changed a little.

Old 04-23-2005, 01:16 AM   #5
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User

Make sure and keep up whatever treatment is recomended by your perio to reduce or eliminate further bone loss...a friend of mine had a tumor growing under her gum that the ortho never noticed(or never mentioned) even tho they clearly were on the xrays taken before her braces. So count yourself lucky that you have a team which is on top of things. With good care, your teeth will be fine.

Old 04-26-2005, 04:03 PM   #6
    jrm4337122

jrm4337122 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by countrymom
    I don't have a bite guard.

I saw the Perio and she said I had a small amt of bone loss under my 2 front bottom teeth. She also thinks the clenching is part of the problem. My gum pockets are 2-3mm. I got the braces on and have to see the perio every 2 months for checkups, etc.

I have had the braces on about a week and have noticed that I don't clench as much. I am wondering if my bite as changed a little.
    hi congrats on getting your braces on i'm 47 an i'm in all metal braces upper an lower an headgear , agian congrats h**oe

Closed Thread