It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• tooth ache..OW!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
    stardusted1
    (female)

stardusted1 HB User
    Red face tooth ache..OW!!

Approximately two years ago I got a root canal for about $500, I don't have any insurance so it put a huge whole in my pocket. So the other night out of nowhere I got a really bad tooth ache in that same spot. This has NEVER happened before..but since I had the tooth ache, it has felt funny. Not aching so much, but perhaps I'm just more aware of it.

Is this normal to experience? Should I go back to my dentist? (Keep in mind that I'm a college student w/o much money to waste on extra appointments)

Any advice appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 06:53 AM   #2
    NoSunNoFun
    (female)

NoSunNoFun HB User
    Re: tooth ache..OW!!

Well if anything you could be looking at just the cost of the exam.
    I would go just to rule out any little things-
    food stuck inbetween two teeth, cavity next to the tooth thats hurting..
    ect-
    This all could be miror, or there could be a real problem.
    I would just pay the office vistit to find out.

NoSunNoFun

Old 04-20-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
    stardusted1
    (female)

stardusted1 HB User

it stopped hurting now...I think,

but you're probably right. I just hope it's trivial like food stuck or something.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:42 AM   #4
    stardusted1
    (female)

stardusted1 HB User

so I guess after you get a root canal your tooth isn't supposed to ache at all... I tried to convince myself this was the case, but it's been 2 yrs. so maybe not.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
    rush_rulz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rush_rulz HB User

Hmm yeah, you don't have nerves anymore in that tooth and as far as I know you cannot grow them back--however I have heard of decay happening around the crown though I don't see this hurting....although I guess if you had some sort of infection or bone loss due to previous infection that would hurt b/c you still do have nerves in the bone...a dentist told me that's why when you chew on the root canaled tooth after it heals you can still "feel" that you have a tooth there--because of the pressure on the underlying bone structure.

Old 04-20-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
    thepenster060
    (female)

thepenster060 HB User

See a dentist right away. It sounds like the tooth may have fractured. Once you have the nerve removed, the tooth is dead.

Old 04-20-2005, 05:29 PM   #7
    saxman26
    (male)

saxman26 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thepenster060
    See a dentist right away. It sounds like the tooth may have fractured. Once you have the nerve removed, the tooth is dead.
    Just to add to that - dead means more brittle and easily fractured. So if your tooth has cracked, that may cause pain, when biting on something as the tooth is coming together as you bite. Does it hurt when you eat?

Old 04-20-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
    Warah
    Inactive
    (female)

Warah HB User

Even thought the nerve has been removed you can still feel sensation from the tooth via the proprioceptors in the periodontal ligament (pdl) that surrounds the tooth. If the tooth has an infection or if the occlusion is off the pdl can become inflammed and irritated causing pain especially upon biting. After a root canal they usually put on a permanent crown to prevent the tooth from cracking or breaking. The tooth becomes brittle and dry after a root canal because lack of nutrients from the blood supply/nerve that has been removed. I would have the dentist check it out. When I had my root canal I felt a slight biting pain and cold sensitivity for a year after treatment. I kept having the doc take down the occlusion on my crown but still felt it. Finally, I adjusted my nightguard (since I clench and grind) and that did the trick. Hopefully it something really simple like that

Old 04-20-2005, 07:51 PM   #9
    dabner
    (female)

dabner HB User

You can have pain in a tooth that has ahd endo (root canal therapy).. Sometimes root canals fail (nothing is dentistry is permanent or guaranteed) and have to be reworked. You may be having pain because infection has been able to set up in the canal that used to be the pulp. Although the pulp is gone, you still have ligaments (PDL) and supporting bone and tissue that can have pain. An x-ray can reveal any problems in this area (and it is the ONLY way to tell what is going on). If this is a posterior tooth (back tooth) and you only had endo on one of the roots, the other root(s) could be infected. My advice is to see your dentist ASAP if you want to keep your tooth. Do you live near a university that has a dental school? You can get excellent care at about 1/3 of the cost of private practice. Look into it. Good Luck.

Old 04-20-2005, 08:43 PM   #10
    stardusted1
    (female)

stardusted1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saxman26
    Does it hurt when you eat?
    that is what's strange. It hasn't hurt at all when I've eaten. Even now, it doesn't hurt. It was literally an extreme throbbing/AWFUl pain just for one night. now it seems to be gone, but you guys are probably right... after finals I should have it checked out. I go to a state university... since my dentist already knows my mouth though, maybe my parents'll take pity on me and contribute to the costs.

Oh and it is on one of my back teeth, my teeth are all rammed together so I get cavitites really easily between them, to the point where I got a root canal on that one.

Old 04-20-2005, 08:46 PM   #11
    stardusted1
    (female)

stardusted1 HB User

I remember hearing that root canals don't last and that's why I started to worry like crazy... thanks you guys, not what I wanted to hear, but probably what I needed to hear.

Closed Thread