It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• extrreme pain 2 months after root canal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-02-2005, 11:44 PM   #1
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
    extrreme pain 2 months after root canal

I had a root canal on a tooth, in Feb. Now, 2 1/2 months later, the pain is worse than ever. I'm going to see my endodontist this week. I'm concerned I'll probably lose the tooth. I spent over $2000, on the root canal and crown. Has anyone had intense pain, weeks later, and, if so, were you able to save the tooth, by retreating it? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
    Suzq222
    (female)

Suzq222 HB User
    Re: extrreme pain 2 months after root canal

It's been 2 years since my root canal and I'm still in extreme pain. Two months after a horrible experience with the endodontist my dentist discovered the pain was coming from muscle spasms in my face. It was probably from having my mouth wide open for such long periods of time for the root canal. You might want to check out that possibility before they do any more work to your tooth. Good luck.
    Sue

Old 05-03-2005, 02:21 PM   #3
    RozIA
    Inactive
    (female)

RozIA HB User

As you know a root canal is when they take out the root so there shouldnt be any pain. so why are you having pain, that tells me there is some root still there. The tooth is shot , sorry you lost some money there but it needs to go.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
    wmkcolors
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

Hi RozIA, did you mean the tooth can't be retreated or shouldn't be retreated? I'm a bit confused. Did you have a similar experience or know of someone who did and lost the tooth? I'm trying to see if retreating a tooth, with a previous root canal, has been successful. Thanks.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
    ebrown4
    (female)

ebrown4 HB User

Definately go back to your Endo. And keep going back till it's resolved. Did the pain start all the sudden recently or has it been ongoing since you had the root canal done?

I too had a root canal in February. A week later I was in extreme pain. The Endo saw inflamation on the xray so he gave me a steriod. It helped a little while I was taking it but then a few days later it was pain again.

Endo said let's try retreating - maybe there wasn't a good seal. As he was retreating it, all the sudden I could feel everything he was doing! Turns out there was some root/tissue left in the curve of my root. He put some mediciny stuff in it and two weeks later I went back for the final gutta stuff.

After that, it took a good three weeks for the tooth to even feel slghtly better. It's been four weeks now and it still pulses/throbs a bit at the end of a long day but for the most part it is much better. I went in last week to have him check it again and he told me it can take a long time (couple months) to recover from the inflamation and that everyone heals at their own rate.

I hope this gives you some hope! I know how upseting it can be to think you might loose a tooth you've been working so hard on fixing. Plus it's frustrating to be in pain when you're not suppose to be. I lost a root canal tooth a couple of years ago due to a crack in it so sometimes they aren't fixable. But more importantly, sometimes they are! Good Luck!

Closed Thread