It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Scaling And Root Planning

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-11-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
    sunshine12
    Inactive
    (female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
    Question Scaling And Root Planning

I read below about this. I wonder because of the cost which is very high and more then I have with no insurance also if I can delay this?
    I have always taken good care of teeth. Old dentist put cap on back molar and had problems back there for two years now. He refused to see me when I complained and then I had insurance.
    New dentist didn't mention pockets first visit, but this visit sent me to perio. 2 big pockets, one where cap is that hurts some. Another big (7) on top at $731.00 per pocket. $168.00 for 4 quads smaller and scale.

To me if someone had said something earlier it could have prevented this from getting bad, and I do take are of my teeth, water pic, floss, but i used electric tooth brush this year and feel this wasn't good for me!
    And theysay I need to have DH clean my teeth every 3 months at $45.00 forever??? I am 59 and out of work this year and this is just devastating me.
    was thinking I could manage the smaller pockets but also am a diabetic and don't want problems with this. Yet no money. Can I do the the mouth wash suggested with the oil and such t help, I know some natural things work but this is the first dental problem I have had...and yes I am worried. The x rays showed the pockets on my first visit but no one said anything. The perio man was in full agreement with me but they can't say much.
    Howdo you know what to do or not to do..I am so afraif of infection and bigger problems an not having the money to do it all anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
    Cinemagic
    Veteran
    (male)

Cinemagic HB User
    Re: Scaling And Root Planning

Research shows that there are specific bacteria that cause periodontal disease. These bacteria generally take about three months to organize themselves to a point where bone destruction will begin. This is the rationale for cleaning every three months. Normal proper home care can clean approximately 3-4 mm below the gum line. If you have periodontal pockets deeper than this you are allowing certain areas to go unclean and periodontal disease can continue to progress until you lose the tooth. Normal cleanings will remove plaque and tarter about 3-5 mm below the gum line. Root planning is designed to not only clean the root surface of alll calculus and plaque to the depth of the pocket, but also scrapes the inflammed portion of the tissue (curretage) to promote a healthy environment. If the pocket depth exceeds 6-7mm, then periodontal surgery is indicated. Root Planning is a time intensive procedure that also often requires being numb.

The longer you keep putting off the procedure, the more tissue inflammation and bone destruction that will occur. The amount and speed of bone destruction varies from individual to individual according to things like medical condition, genetics and whether you are a smoker or not. Being diabetic is going to allow periodontal disease to progress at a somewhat faster rate.

Money is always a factor and being retired doesn't help. It would be nice for everyone if there was the same type of insurance available for dental disease as there is for general medical disease. Unfortunately, it doesn't exist.

Old 05-11-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
    brita
    (female)

brita HB User

I had scaling and root planing. I wish I never did. They ruined my gums and my teeth. Have a regular tooth cleaning once every month for 3 months. Take vitamins - especially C and Q10. Use baking soda to clean your teeth once a day. Don't use tobacco.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
    Warah
    Inactive
    (female)

Warah HB User

I am not sure of the circumstances regarding why you were not told of the deeper pockets before. It is hard to speculate..perhaps these sites got worse over time and now they are at a point where more aggressive treatment is indicated. Unfortunately, the infection will not get better until you have all the calculus (tartar) and toxins removed from the root surfaces (and currettage if needed) followed by good oral hygiene at home. Often people do need to have more cleanings due to the risk of reinfection and further problems.
    With the diabetes the perio disease can be even more destructive. Also chronic perio can also have an impact on the diabetes as well.

Have you thought about going to a dental or dental hygiene school? You can receive quality affordable dentistry in these institutions at a lower cost. The downside is that it usaully takes longer since it is a learning enviornment and instructors need to check on everything the student does.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:39 AM   #5
    sunshine12
    Inactive
    (female)

Thank you all for your answers and help. I feel angry that thiswas not taken cate of sooner but the damage was done now.
    I am calling to tday to see what I can work out fianacially. I guess I don't have any infection or he woud have put me on antobiotics for sure.

I appreciatey your help. I guess I have to be brave and work it out the best I can... Thanks

Old 05-13-2005, 06:05 AM   #6
    kusum
    (female)

kusum HB User

Brita,

CAn you tell me why you do not recommed this procedure? I have very deep pockets and the doctor asked me to undergo the same. I have my own doubts about it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brita
    I had scaling and root planing. I wish I never did. They ruined my gums and my teeth. Have a regular tooth cleaning once every month for 3 months. Take vitamins - especially C and Q10. Use baking soda to clean your teeth once a day. Don't use tobacco.

Old 05-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #7
    brita
    (female)

brita HB User

About root planing and scaling. The procedure is done with a ultrasonic scaler. These scalers if not moved fast enough will burn your gum tissue. I know because it happened to me! I have permanent dark red spots on my gums where this was done. The procedure does not cure gum disease and might not help you at all! What I am finding out is you can help yourself with regular cleanings every 3 months - flossing - water irrigation-hydrofloss - baking soda/salt - stimudents - and a great invention - a rubber tip Butler gum stimulator.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:43 PM   #8
    sunshine12
    Inactive
    (female)

Brita, can you tell me what type of damage you had to your teeth and gums other then the red spots?

I have since spoken with the office and now they say I can have the DH do the scaling with a shot to numb the area much cheaper. I appreciate this of course. But the root planning must be done by the perio man after the scaling is done.
    I am just scared to death but more worried about will this solve the problem, will this save my tooth where these pockets are? Do they know how muchbone loss is there already?
    I have read about all these oils you can rinse with and alternative ways and of course chicken me would love the easy way out but totally ignornant here

I guess these are all questions I should have asked my doc but you know you don't know them to ask. I haven't looked into the school but have been told with this procedure to have a pro do it unless I go with alternative mouth washed ect. Anyone please..

Old 05-21-2005, 12:42 AM   #9
    Abbey32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Abbey32 HB User

I have had root planing and scaling done but not with any laser. Must be a new procedure. You have to have it done in order to remove the plague below the gumline...so yes, have it done. It does not hurt. They numb you and it's all fine. Afterwards, it's only a bit sore.

Old 05-21-2005, 08:14 AM   #10
    brita
    (female)

brita HB User

If you get the root planing scaling and it doesn't work they will want to do surgery. Then you really will have a problem.

Old 05-21-2005, 09:56 AM   #11
    kusum
    (female)

kusum HB User

Thanks Brita,

that's what I needed to know. I am not in favor root planning either..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brita
    About root planing and scaling. The procedure is done with a ultrasonic scaler. These scalers if not moved fast enough will burn your gum tissue. I know because it happened to me! I have permanent dark red spots on my gums where this was done. The procedure does not cure gum disease and might not help you at all! What I am finding out is you can help yourself with regular cleanings every 3 months - flossing - water irrigation-hydrofloss - baking soda/salt - stimudents - and a great invention - a rubber tip Butler gum stimulator.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:32 PM   #12
    sunshine12
    Inactive
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abbey32
    I have had root planing and scaling done but not with any laser. Must be a new procedure. You have to have it done in order to remove the plague below the gumline...so yes, have it done. It does not hurt. They numb you and it's all fine. Afterwards, it's only a bit sore.
    Thank you Abbey! I guess I am asking questions here but I am scared of even this surgery, not the deep cleaning.

Brita, you keep saying no no no but can you tell me what they did to your mouth that your so upset with this procedure? I asked you before but you still haven't said anything as to what went wrong? I know the pockets will not go away, my concern is that will it save my tooth or will my tooth fall out anyway in a year or two??? I have to call that office and ask them all these questions.. keep hearing more and more stories. He wants almost $800.00 per quad, actually I assume per big pocket and thats a lot!

Old 05-25-2005, 08:41 PM   #13
    tictac
    (female)

tictac HB User

Are you sure it isn't $800 for all 4 quads combined? There's no way any dentist could get away with charging $800 per quad.

Old 05-26-2005, 05:12 AM   #14
    kusum
    (female)

kusum HB User

That is what my dentist quoted too. $800 per quad.

The down side of root planning is ugly looking teeth. they will be stronger but with lot of gaps in between. If the situation is not too bad (if gums are not infected) keeping them cleaner with proper brushing and mouthwash is what I would recommend. But if the situation is bad, saving whatever teeth that can be saves is worth it. (at least the side teeth to hook the flipper - implants are out of question with perio)

Old 05-26-2005, 09:59 AM   #15
    tictac
    (female)

tictac HB User

$800 per quad is insane! Whether or not you need this procedure, do NOT pay that much for it. $250 per quad is on the high end of what's a customary fee, so seriously, go somewhere else. I know fees differ in various regions, but that is robbery no matter where you live. I can't imagine any insurance company would pay that much for this procedure.

Closed Thread