HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Dental Health (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/)
-   -   Extraction--What to epect? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/285420-extraction-what-epect.html)

tescak 05-18-2005 09:56 AM

Extraction--What to epect?

After years of neglect, I finally went and had my teeth examined yesterday. Well, I have two upper molars that need to be removed (the dentist doesn't think a root canal would be worthwhile), and I'm a little scared, since I don't know what to expect. I have a consultation with an oral surgeon in two weeks, and then I guess we go from there. My big worries are that (1) I am severely needle-phobic and I would have to have an IV, and (2) My roots apparently extend into the sinuses on both sides. Then, of course, there's the recovery and the possibility of dry socket. What can I expect?

MarigoldFroggy 05-18-2005 10:17 PM

Re: Extraction--What to epect?

I'm 19 and I just had my wisdom teeth out with IV sedation, so I'm not sure if it's quite the same thing. However, I am also very needle phobic. I cry whenever I get a shot at the doctor and I cried for a good 10 minutes before my wisdom teeth removal operation. The IV needle actually did not hurt at all, I even felt a little silly when they actually put the needle into my hand while i was crying and it didn't hurt anywhere close to what I thought it would. My oral surgeon had told me at the time that he used a special needle that is different from the normal kind used in stuff like blood drives, but unfortunately that's not really what I was paying attention to at the time so I don't remember what it was called. You should ask your oral surgeon about it if you don't like needles, it definetly didn't hurt at all like a normal shot! Also, I have had 6 baby teeth pulled when I was in high school, during which I was only given shots of novocane into my gums and not iv sedation. I was also completely conscious during the entire procedure, unlike iv sedation where although I was not actually asleep, it sure felt like it. This procedure hurt a lot and is really really bad if you don't like needles. My iv sedation was entirely different, wasn't painful, and I don't even remember a thing that happened during the procedure.

As far as I know, dry socket is fairly rare and treatable, at least for wisdom teeth. You should try not to be too scared because almost all of the severe side effects your oral surgeon will tell you about are very very rare. You should also expect to be given a prescription medication for pain after your surgery. Usually whatever you get is strong enough to make all pain cease, the stuff I got completely got rid of my pain when advil did nothing at all to give you an idea of its effect. You definetly shouldn't worry too much about what recovery after the procedure is going to be like. You may have some pain, but it usually will be treatable with some sort of medication for pain. You can also contact your oral surgeon after the procedure if anything worries you and if there is a problem, they will fix it for you. I'm a big baby, but I'm recovering fine, I'm sure you'll be fine too!

jansy 05-18-2005 11:05 PM

i just had all four of mine out monday and so far the only problem i have had is this foul white gunk in my mouth >:l only one of my teeth i ever feel pain in and thast because it was under the gums. the other 3 dont hurt at all. i was TERRIFIED to go in. the needle hurt me a little bit but that was the worst part. they put thos things on your chest to hear your heart and mine was going so fast. the very last thing i remember was the nurse saying "there you go, your relaxing now" lol. you just go out. you dont feel really tired or anything you are just sitting there and then suddenly you are waking up.

DMPKIDS 05-24-2005 07:53 AM

I just went and had 5 decayed teeth pulled..I suffer a bit from Dental anxiety so I made an appointment with the sleep clinic. They used oral sedation opposed to the IV sedation. I took this lil pill 1 hr before my appointment, I was totally relaxed and snoozed right through, had the teeth pulled, some fillings and front bonding ALL in the same day and I am fine :D

the1stnoey 05-24-2005 08:17 AM

Hey DMPKIDS,

I was reading your reply and was intrigued when you said you went to a sleep clinic to have them pulled. I too have to get ALOT of teeth pulled at once and also have dental anxiety. I will not get this done if I'm awake during the process. What kind of sleep clinic pulls teeth? Or maybe I'm miss understanding something...let me know when you have a second. Thanks!

Noelle

DMPKIDS 05-24-2005 09:30 AM

It was WONDERFUL!! Look up sleep dentistry on the web in your area, they are all over.
What they do is give a consultation first, let you know what you need done etc.
They give you a little pill to take home, the day of your appointment an hour before you take it, it is called..triazolam..It makes you feel sleepy, yet in control,
then once you are at the appointment, they stay with you in a room, where you are TOTALLY relaxed, give another pill, once you are in a sleep mode, the work begins, they are able to do years of dental work in one visit, I not only had 5 teeth extracted, I had some fillings and my front teeth bonded!
I was able to answer questions while I was having the work done, I dont remember them lol..but thats ok lol..I can only imagine what I was saying lol..
But the next thing I knew I was being woken up with some juice and feeling GREAT, I couldnt believe how fast it was, I thought I was dreaming!
I went home, rested awhile, and woke up to watch American Idol and still Vote lol..yes I am 36, and need a life, but at least I have NO teeth worries.
Please try it, I cannot brag enough about it!
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, I know the worry and anxiety related to Dental situations.

tescak 05-24-2005 09:44 AM

I was told that maybe I could still get oral sedation from the oral surgeon. I hope, or else I might not go through with it... :nono:

I'm freaking out...worrying that I may be the one in many millions with a bad reaction to the anesthesia, or else that I'll get a bad infection. I had a dream last night that the principal (my boss) was in charge of my extraction. Maybe last school week stress. Well, in the dream, I didn't find out that I could get oral sedation until the morning of the extraction, so I was running all over the town the surgeon's in trying to get them before the appointment. It's crazy, all the stuff that has to be done by Friday, and I guess that's where the dream came from.

DMPKIDS 05-24-2005 09:49 AM

OOO PLEASE LOL I have had those crazy dreams as well..Anxiety is a horror and creeps in at any time, sleeping or awake.
Your Dentist may just have the same type pill, cant hurt to ask.
or at the least ask him to prescribe you something to relax the night before and day of. There is no shame in needing some extra help. We all been there.

bdtx82 05-24-2005 04:32 PM

I was very nervous about the extraction as well (wisdom teeth). I was freaked out about the anestheshia adn I'm very nervous with needles...
Well they gave me nitrous oxide (laughing gas) first and that makes you feel really relaxed. Then they sprayed something cold on my arm and put in the IV. I hardly felt it at all...it just felt like getting poked with a paper clip. Then I guess I slowly fell asleep or something. It was IV sedation where you are concious, but totally out of it and don't remember it at all so I might have been away or might have been asleep. Then I woke up and just remember feeling kinda nauseous and I had the hiccups really bad. That's about it! It was so much easier than I thought it would be!

starcrush 05-26-2005 06:12 AM

you need to have i v sedation i am also afraid of tooth extraction if you get that procedure done you will not even know when they are done because you will be totally out of it. :D

starcrush 05-26-2005 06:21 AM

what the diffrence or it there not between i v sedation vs the sleeping pills :bouncing:

starcrush 05-26-2005 06:26 AM

i know what you talking about i had teeth extracted with anthesia shot never no more either they sedate me or i will not get any teeth pulled lol

InNeedOfHelp333 05-26-2005 11:08 PM

Im 14 and i just got 2 teeth pulled and it doesnt hurt at all.. I was soo scared it was going to but they put enough stuff on it so it dosnt hurt. Then they give u enough goss cause it bleeds for abour 3 hours.. after that the next day it will be a little sore. but watch what u eat u cant put hothot or coldcold things where your tooth was it will hurt alot. and dont eat chips and stuff trust me it hurts when it goes into the hole... OUTCH!

bigcrybaby 07-22-2005 02:26 PM

I am having oral sedation with Triazolam next week, and I am really nervous. I really wanted to be all the way out, but my dentist doesn't offer it. I am afraid that it will wear off half-way through. I am having 4 teeth pulled and several cavities filled. How long did yours last? Thanks for being willing to discuss this.

[QUOTE=DMPKIDS]It was WONDERFUL!! Look up sleep dentistry on the web in your area, they are all over.
What they do is give a consultation first, let you know what you need done etc.
They give you a little pill to take home, the day of your appointment an hour before you take it, it is called..triazolam..It makes you feel sleepy, yet in control,
then once you are at the appointment, they stay with you in a room, where you are TOTALLY relaxed, give another pill, once you are in a sleep mode, the work begins, they are able to do years of dental work in one visit, I not only had 5 teeth extracted, I had some fillings and my front teeth bonded!
I was able to answer questions while I was having the work done, I dont remember them lol..but thats ok lol..I can only imagine what I was saying lol..
But the next thing I knew I was being woken up with some juice and feeling GREAT, I couldnt believe how fast it was, I thought I was dreaming!
I went home, rested awhile, and woke up to watch American Idol and still Vote lol..yes I am 36, and need a life, but at least I have NO teeth worries.
Please try it, I cannot brag enough about it!
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, I know the worry and anxiety related to Dental situations.[/QUOTE]