It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Extreme Chronic tooth pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2005, 04:15 PM   #1
    kdeese

kdeese HB User
    Extreme Chronic tooth pain (TIC DOULOUREUX )

Please help me!! Im in pain!! My back bottom molar # 31 is giving me extreme pain when I eat. It all started last October when I developed a pain in my back bottom tooth. I went to my regular dentist several times and he could not find anything wrong with my tooth. He sent me to a Endodontist to find out if the tooth needed a root canal. When I went to him he said he could find nothing wrong with the tooth. So I went to another dentist other than my regular dentist to get a second opinion because i could barely eat with all the pain. He could not find anything wrong either. I also went to a oral surgeon for a third opinion and he found nothing also. The pain finally left about the middle of November and I was pain free up until last week and the same symptoms are back. More painful tha ever. It is hard to describe the shocking like pulses of pain that I would rate 15 on a scale of 1 to 10. It only hurts if I put food in my mouth and start to eat. The pain is coming from and around the bottom back molar tooth. I have not been able to sit down and enjoy a meal with out severe pain. This tooth pain is odd because it does not hurt at night so It does not keep me awake. It only hurts when I put food in my mouth. It is like the muscles or salivai gland restricts and shoots pain up in the tooth. I know that sounds weird but that is the truth. I am getting wore down and depressed with all the pain. I went back to my dentist a week before this all happened and got my teeth cleaned and it was a week later when I started having problem. Is there any cure?? I went back to my dentist this past Monday and again he could not find anything wrong and he sent me back to the Endodontist again and he found nothing. Is it possible that my tooth is just aggitated and needs to be pulled. What if I get it pulled and it still aches in the area. Please pray for me!! Thanks

Last edited by kdeese; 06-09-2005 at 06:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
    heatherz
    (female)

heatherz HB User
    Exclamation Re: Extreme Chronic tooth pain

Hi there...

First, if you read some of my responses of experience on here, you will know that i am no stranger to dental pain and dental problems that are unexplainable.

Did they do any xrays??? Does the tooth in question or the ones around it have a crown or problems of their own? I ask this, cause although sinus problems have been known to flare up nerves underlying teeth causing the symptoms you are talking about, and i have had them too ..... I had a problem for 10 years like yours, but that tooth had a crown on it already from childhood.

For years and years, that tooth would flare up for no real reason. I do remember if I ate red meat that was steak or so...something chewy like that..taffee or tough....it would wiggle and aggravate the roots of that tooth and make it flare up. But then the weirdest thing was that it would also happen just on its own. I went through blinding pain, pain killers, dentists who just looked at it and said that it had a crown, therefore root canal... it's not the tooth..probly just need to brush my teeth. öalksdjföalksdjf I brush and floss 3x a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since I was 14!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY. A dentist told me that he would look under the crown...take it off... and see...cause an xray showed nothing at all...but he also said that the first thing he learned in dental school in Isreal was that, like customers, the patient is always right!!! So, he listened to me. He took off the crown... well...he and the assistant were in awe at the drainage time of 25 minutes that infectious yuck was flowing out of there!!! I know that sounds yucky...but had been there under the crown for eons. He asked me how many years it was like that...i told him 10...he almost was speechless....He apologized for all the other dentists who turned me away and said he could not imagine the pain that had been causing...and that also, that the sinus thing may have aggravated it too. They ended up extracting the tooth years later cause it would not stop irritating me no matter.

Just saying that you have to keep knocking on doors until somebody treats you like the President of the United States in there. Get their chair hot!!!!

Good luck....really. Let us know how you're getting on...

Heather

Old 06-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #3
    Cinemagic
    Veteran
    (male)

Cinemagic HB User
    Re: Extreme Chronic tooth pain

Sounds like you have a cracked tooth. Cracked teeth are difficult to diagnosis since the crack does not show up on x-rays nor can they be easily seen. There is a device that some dentists have called a "tooth sloth". It is a plastic instrument that is flat on one side and has a little cup on the other side. He places the cup on each cusp tip and various other locations on the tooth and has you bite down. If the tooth is cracked, the pain will usually show up on the cusp that is fractured. The treatment for a fractured tooth is a crown. Some times the crack can continue to progress until it reaches the nerve of the tooth. In this case, a root canal is necessary before the crown. There are times when there is no indication that the tooth needs a root canal and the crown is done. Several months later, the tooth begins to hurt again. Usually, something shows up on the x-ray that confirms the need for the root canal.

I would go back to your dentist and ask him to check to see if it's cracked. Or get another opinion from another dentist. If the tooth is cracked, this is usually not an indication to have it extracted (the exception being if the root itself is fractured).

Old 06-01-2005, 01:17 PM   #4
    kdeese

kdeese HB User

Hi, I went back to the dentist yesterday and he thought it might be cracked so he put a temporary crown and told me to call back the next day if the pain was still there when I ate food. I called him back today and the tooth is still hurting as before but I did get to eat after I came home yesterday from the dentist because I was still numb. When I tried eating today it was pain all over again. Im going to call back tomorrow and have him pull it. I hope the problem is solved then.. Thanks for your comments.. What bothers me is that the tooth is not sensitive to hot or cold, just when I begin to eat.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #5
    mike21a2
    (male)

mike21a2 HB User

You might want to try a root canal before you have it pulled (which is probably what your dentist will suggest). But I can also tell you from personal experience, there is no guarantee that a root canal will save a cracked tooth (I had one done on a cracked molar a few weeks ago, and am still waiting for the tooth to fully "settle down" as they say). So I guess the tradeoff comes down to this: if you don't want to risk wasting, say, $800-$1000 for a root canal that might not work, and you feel like you can live without the tooth, then get it pulled. If you've got the money (or insurance) to gamble on the root canal, and you can be patient in waiting for it to heal, then you may well be able to save the tooth.

Old 06-06-2005, 08:43 AM   #6
    kdeese

kdeese HB User

I went back to the dentist Thursday and he pulled the tooth in question. Now that he pulled that tooth the pain is shooting up in the next tooth just like the one he just pulled. It only hurts again when I eat. The pain comes from the back of my tongue to my teeth. I can eat on the other side but the pain still hurts me so bad that I just have to quit eating. I thought it might be a dry socket but the pain is like it was before the tooth was pulled. So nothing was accomplished by him pulling that tooth. I sure thought it was that tooth. So I am back to square one. Same pain. The dentist did say that he thought the tooth he pulled was cracked because it split in the roots. Does anyone else have any suggestions on what might be causiing the pulsating nerve pain in my gums and under my tongue when I eat?

Last edited by kdeese; 06-06-2005 at 08:44 AM.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:43 PM   #7
    DebraL

DebraL HB User

Have you checked out the TMJ board?

Old 06-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #8
    mccormickautumn
    Inactive
    (female)

mccormickautumn HB User

Kdeese,

Hi, your symptoms seem to fit the Atypical Odontalgia, a type of neuropathic pain in oral-facial area. After extraction of the tooth in question, the intense pain remains around the gum area of the extraction site or sometimes jumps to adjacent tooth. Do you feel any burning or numbness. How bad is your pain in a scale from 1 to 10? For neuropathic pain, anti-seizure and/or tricyclic anti-depressant are usually used to control the pain. Go consult an oral surgeon or physician, and get referred to see a neurologist for help. If you do a search on the internet type in neuropathic pain, phantom tooth pain you should find something about it. Take care.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #9
    kdeese

kdeese HB User
    Re: Extreme Chronic tooth pain(TIC DOULOUREUX)

I went to the Neurologist today and he told me that I had a condition called TIC DOULOUREUX a painful nerve condition. He said this condition mainly happens to people over 60. Im only 40!! He prescribed medication called Trileptal 600MG a seizure medicine to relieve the pain. It does not cure it. I do not like taking medication but this relieved the pain in about two hours. Has anyone had this condition and if so what do you take for it. I would like to take something to heal this nerve, not just to mask the pain. Please Help!! I was able to eat today with no pain!! What a blessing.

Closed Thread