It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Please respond-pain control prior to root scaling

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
    singsong
    (female)

singsong HB User
    Please respond-pain control prior to root scaling

Pain Control Prior to Scaling/Planing!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I alone??!! I had this done one time and found it so painful I was shocked anyone could go thru it! Only that silly gel and locals are given under my ins. plan and I am pre-soc. sec disability so money out-of-pocket is not an option. I want a good job to get done, but get real! I find it excruciating! The roots of the tooth are scraped and they may as well be touching live nerves for me.
    Please, please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
    mayansun
    (female)

mayansun HB User
    Re: Please respond-pain control prior to root scaling

Not sure, I've had this done and found it to be fine after the gel. Have you asked your dentist about alternatives? What about taking 2 Motrin, Tylenol or something beforehand?

Old 06-22-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
    honeyb65
    (female)

honeyb65 HB User

Hi, I have had scaling and root planning many times before due to gum disease. I have never had a denstist or hygenist do this procedure without novacaine injections. It would be much too painful. I'm suprised someone did it with only gel. Try to see if they have a payment plan for the novacaine injections. I would never get it done without it. The doctor must me nuts for suggesting it. The root planning and scaling did not work for me. I had it done four times and the pocket depths would not shrink. I recentluy had gum surgery and 3 bone grafts monday. Deep cleaning is nothing in comparison to gum surgery. I'd rather have the deep cleaning. Make sure you get novacaine injections to numb the area before the procedure. After the procedure motrin or tylenol work fine. You have slim to no pain if it's done properly. Please dont put it off otherwise you could end up like me having to have gum surgery in the future. Definately get the novacaine by any means. I had no pain at all after the procedures were done. I did;nt feel anything during because I was numb up to my eyeballs. lol

Old 06-22-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
    singsong
    (female)

singsong HB User

Thanks all for replies.

I did have the novacaine (called it a local) and the procedure still sent me up to the ceiling. I have a hard time getting numb.

I did have the flap surgery 1 time and I'd rather not discuss that. I plan to take Valium, Tylenol and Advil prior to this cleaning.

I had 3 kids naturally and know how to deal with pain...just not DENTAL PAIN!

Off I go to eat a box of Hershey bars (Just kidding-ha-ha!)

Closed Thread