It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Tori exostosis-can anyone relate to my story?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
    stromssa
    (female)

stromssa HB User
    Tori exostosis-can anyone relate to my story?

Hi all,

I'm a 28-year-old female. For a few months, I've been aware of two small bumps, one on each side of the lower gum, facing my tongue. I don't have any idea how long they have been there; they don't seem to have anything to do with my teeth, and for whatever reason, I just noticed it.
    The bumps are both the same size and don't obstruct anything. They are the same color as my gum tissue. They feel like bone.
    I went online today and discovered a condition called 'Tori exostosis,' and found a photo of someone with the same bumps I have, located in the same part of the mouth, as part of the website literature.
    This information said this condition was non-cancerous, and that the growths were an "overgrowth" of bone that generally takes place in adulthood in a certain percentage of the population. They said that, unless the bumps begin to interfere with eating, or you need to be fit with dentures and they get in the way, that they do not need to be removed.
    Related to this, I also read of someone who described bony 'ridges' on her upper gumline, above her teeth. I also have this condition, albeit not severly. I couldn't understand what it was, initially, because I am in generally good oral health. But when I read about someone describing "bony ridges," this immediately sounded familiar. I took comfort realizing I was not an unusual case.
    I just wondered if anyone had this condition or if anyone can relate. I don't know of anyone who has this condition personally, and I would appreciate any support anyone could offer.

Thanks!
    Sara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2005, 09:24 PM   #2
    soliloquy
    (female)

soliloquy HB User
    Re: Tori exostosis-can anyone relate to my story?

Tori are very common. Some people even have them on their palate! Don't worry about them - they're normal for you.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:52 PM   #3
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User

I have them on the lower outside. Never a problem but recently when i found i had bone loss in my jaw under the gums, my dentist was able to harvest this extra bone so she could implant my own bone rather than synthetic or cadaver bone. She said it gave me an extra edge as your own bone has much better chance of rejenerating new bone. so call it a blessing and keep that extra bone for the future.

Old 06-22-2005, 05:53 AM   #4
    stromssa
    (female)

stromssa HB User

Thanks for your comments!
    I was just wondering something else regarding this: I also read that some potential reasons for tori starting were trauma to the mouth and something about pressure in the sinues (?)...I do have rather bad sinus congestion due to allergies (dust mites, primarily) and I also tend to clench my jaw a lot; sometimes I wake up in the morning and my upper cheekbone and lower jawbone area are sore. I don't know if this "means" anything with regard to tori developing or not...I just know that the only obvious health problem I've had in recent years was this congestion, which seems to be the worst at night when I'm trying to sleep, and I'm sure I don't sleep well. (I do occasionally take Benedryl for my allergies, though, which usually helps). This is all speculative, of course, but it just seems odd I would develop this seemingly unrelated to anything else!

Closed Thread