It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• need advice about my 3 year olds teeth

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2005, 11:54 PM   #1
    melplustwo
    (female)

melplustwo HB User
    need advice about my 3 year olds teeth

My sons dentists wants to put my son to sleep and do all this procedures all at the same time- 5 crowns with 5 root canals and 7 fillings- in his baby teeth. the dentist did say that the teeth that need crowns are to far gone to just put fillings in. does this sound right are is there some thing else that can be done instead?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 12:18 AM   #2
    CARAT414
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CARAT414 HB User
    Re: need advice about my 3 year olds teeth

My oldest nephew did not have enamal on his baby teeth. Mom did nothing, they rotted, and fell out. But not before doing extensive damage to the adult teeth that were forming. His adult teeth are horrible, discolored and disformed. He hates his teeth and never smiles. He is now 14.
    My youngest nephew also did not have any enamel on his baby teeth. Different parents. Then to add to this issue, mom allowed him to have a bottle while going to bed until he was 4. Result, he had to have all existing teeth removed and spent 3 days in the hospital so they could keep him sedated for pain management. He had NO teeth for almost 18 months. Financial reasons had a lot to do with that issue. He is now almost 8, homeschooled because the kids teased and harassed him so much first because he had no teeth and then because he had to wear dentures while in elemetary school. He is an only child and really has no friends because of his fear of rejection and ridicule. He has to see the dentist every 6 to 8 weeks right now because his adult teeth are starting to come in and the dentures, now partials have to be adjusted to allow for the new teeth. And every time I have seen him since my own surgery to remove all my teeth, he tells me that he is so sorry, and that I shouldn't worry he will always love me anyways.

So if you are questioning if the surgery is worth it. Yes. If you are question the dentist and if he is acurate in what the problems and solutions are then go have a second opinion. But don't just let it slide because they are baby teeth.

Good Luck

Old 07-06-2005, 12:36 AM   #3
    melplustwo
    (female)

melplustwo HB User

thanks for the advice. I know i cant ignore the problem but I am getting a lot of grief about what the dentist whats to do by my father in law he doesnt see why the crowns and root canals have to be done on baby teeth that will fall out in a year or two. By what you said i now see why. he also thinks that the root canals and the crowns can be done on the same visit, is this true?

Old 07-06-2005, 05:10 AM   #4
    kusum
    (female)

kusum HB User

I am not sure what I am doing is right or wrong but I just would like to share my story. My son developed cavities in his upper front teeth and the first pediatric dentist I took him to said all the four teeth need to go. (same thing; sedating him and extract them). I went to another one who said he could try to clean them under sedation. As I do not want to sedate him, I tried another dentist who has reputation of making kids comfortable while doing simple procedures on them. (so they do not require sedation). To my surprise, she said she would not do anything to them until he complains of some pain. She gave me a flouride gel to apply in the night to control them from spreading. She asked me to get him to her as soon as he complains of any pain so she could work on him. Obviously, I took her advice. I make sure I keep his teeth clean all the time. I have a cleaning appointment for him on 7/15. I have to see what she says.

I believe taking second opinion always helps..

Old 07-06-2005, 08:07 AM   #5
    beanie_1122
    Veteran
    (female)

beanie_1122 HB User

My son had extensive dental work done a couple months ago under sedation. It's been well worth it also! I to was a little curious as to why my son needed to have so many rootcanals and crowns done I thought maybe it was just for the money! Then I came to realize that the teeth that needed r/c and crowns done to won't be falling out anytime soon! So just depends what teeth your little boy needs r/c's and crowns done on if they'll fall out with in a year or 2. The ones my son had done won't fall out until much later in life! Also, my son's 2 front teeth were very decayed and the dentist said not to worry about them caz they would fall out real soon (that was may of 2004) and now its July of 2005 and their still in there! We did have them capped tho because of the teasing he got from the kids at school! So right there just shows that you never know when your sons teeth may fall out! I defintiely wouldn't let the dental work go if you feel unsecure about the dentist you took him to then get a 2nd opinion, but know that something needs to be done before he's in to much pain or before the teasing starts! Another thing we tried just filling a couple of the teeth and the cavaties were so deep that the fillings kept falling out so we put our son thru more then he needed to be put thru because we were to stubborn to just have the rootcanals done in the first place! I also got alot of ridicual from my husbands grandmother about all the dental work that needed to be done in our son's mouth, but you know she wasn't the dentist and didn't know what had to be done! So from a mother thats been in your shoes before I would suggest to have it done regardless of what your father in law says! Good Luck!

Old 07-06-2005, 08:08 AM   #6
    chatty8484
    Veteran
    (female)

chatty8484 HB User

Second opinion could never hurt.
    I have a 3 year old and I personally wouldn't do caps and crowns or bridges or even a root canal on baby teeth. She is worth all the money in the world so to me it's not about the cost but.....I would not do that for baby teeth that could just be pulled. Save her some pain and discomfort.
    If there was another health issue or it was causing bad health then maybe I would consider it.
    I guess it's too each their own type thing but I do wish you good luck and if ya need to......get a second opinion!!

chatty

Old 07-06-2005, 08:14 AM   #7
    beanie_1122
    Veteran
    (female)

beanie_1122 HB User

Having baby teeth extracted doesn't come easy either! They will still experience pain and you can't just let the extraction site go you would have to put in spacers in so their adult teeth comes in straight! You don't have the spacers put in you will just be looking for more problems down the road! If the child is under sedation they won't feel a thing! I know when you think rootcanal you think of extreme pain afterwards, but it really isn't all that bad in children!

Old 07-06-2005, 08:42 AM   #8
    melplustwo
    (female)

melplustwo HB User

thanks everyone for your help I am going to see if I can get a second opinion and this time I will ask for a detailed description of what needs to be done

Old 07-07-2005, 07:54 AM   #9
    tictac
    (female)

tictac HB User

I agree with the other posters that said it just depends on what teeth you're talking about. The baby molars can be in there until age 13 or so, depending on how soon he starts loosing his teeth. That's a long time to go. If they need crowns, they must already have some pretty extensive decay. I think you're right in getting a second opinion, but you should definitely have something done. Don't just let it go because they're baby teeth.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:24 PM   #10
    Warah
    Inactive
    (female)

Warah HB User

A second opinion may be warranted. However, if it takes the recommended treatment to keep the baby teeth, I would do it. Especially if the baby molars are in question....if your child is three they will not exfoliate for another 8-9 years. Those teeth are very important for chewing, speaking and retaining space for the permanent teeth. Sedation, in my opinion is the way to go. Simple dentistry is hard enough on a 3 year old for the child and the doctor. If you sedate him/her you can get it all done in one shot and the child has no memory/pain/fear.

Good Luck

Old 07-08-2005, 04:14 AM   #11
    yesmik2

yesmik2 HB User

He'll probably put tin cans on the back teeth. Fillings usually don't last very long on childrens molars.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:23 AM   #12
    melplustwo
    (female)

melplustwo HB User

thanks to everyone for the advice. the teeth that need crowns are the fornt ones and i am not sure what teeth are just fillings. i did make an appt for the second opinion we will see what happens, hopefully they will explain everything to me.

Closed Thread