It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Lower extractions and immediates

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2005, 06:35 PM   #1
    kerri0500
    Veteran
    (female)

kerri0500 HB User
    Lower extractions and immediates

Good evening...I had 11 teeth removed and immediate dentures put in on the bottom this time(last month did the uppers) and my questions are 1.How do you all clean your mouth? I know this sounds dumb but i rinse with saltwater of course, but like do you use a rag on your gums or a brush or what? ay toothpaste? 2. Should they already feel kind of loose (moving in my mouth)? I had it done Monday and today is Friday.....3. How long do I have to worry about dry socket since it is lower? Thanks alot for any help! The dentist was closed today and I dont think this warrents a call after hours...YOu all are wonderful! Thanks in advance

Kerri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
    CARAT414
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CARAT414 HB User
    Re: Lower extractions and immediates

Kerri, I noticed mine being loose with in a day of the surgery. Tops and bottoms. But everyone is different. I rinse with a salt water rinse. When I have stitches I use those crest pads. I need to get some more so I can't tell you the correct name, but you slip them on your finger and brush your gums gently with those. I also use a baby washcloth. They are softer, I think. If you use mouthwash use only one that does not contain alcohol until after your extraction sites have closed some and dry socket is no longer a risk. Most of my extraction sites are closed, as are most of my incisions from the surgery end of mine, so use a soft bristle toothbrush and toothpaste just as if I still had teeth. I used denture toothpaste on my dentures. Heard that it was not a good thing to use regular toothpaste as it is to gritty and can damage the finish on the teeth.
    Not sure of the dry socket time schedule for risk but trust me if you get dry socket you will know.

Hope that helps some.
    Casey

Old 07-15-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
    crisma
    Veteran
    (female)

crisma HB User

Hi Kerri, how are the uppers doing? I just use a real soft toothbrush with some regular toothpaste to clean my gums and palate.The papers they gave me at the dentist office said if you are going to get a dry socket, it will happen in 4-7 days. My bottoms were also loose by the first week. My denturist told me that I could start using adhesive after 7 days, but I waited until 10 days. It was a little sore when I had to take them out, but other than that I was fine.

Cristie

Old 07-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #4
    kerri0500
    Veteran
    (female)

kerri0500 HB User

Casey and Crista, Thanks for the replys..My dentist is wonderful but not always good with explaining everything..I will have to try crest strips...The uppers are doing great crista! I look totally differentI am told...Thanks alot for all of the suggestions, if you have more please keep them coming! I am sooo glad it is over now! Good luck and best wishes to both of you!

Old 07-15-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
    kerri0500
    Veteran
    (female)

kerri0500 HB User

Oh and I am doing the salt water rinses still and just waiting for everything to heal...This time it was rougher than the uppers...My gums look horrible because they were receding so bad on the front bottom....So far, the blood clots look really good...Did you all notice a huge change in your appearence after it was done? I hope both of youa re feeling great now!

Kerri

Old 07-15-2005, 11:37 PM   #6
    pam46
    (female)

pam46 HB User

Hi Kerri,

I had both upper and lower extractions with immediates done 2 weeks ago today and both started feeling loose right away. I was able to use a little adhesive right away - on the upper - palate only and a couple of places on the bottom where I had had extractions done over 40 years ago. The dentist said that I can now use more adhesive if I need to.

I do salt water rinses and have been brushing my palate and tongue with Crest w/Scope toothpaste. I heard that helps some with getting rid of the adhesive. Otherwise, I just use a soft toothbrush and have been very careful until things started healing. A lot of my extractions had stitches that have now dissolved so I had very few clots to worry about.

I think my face looks quite different, but nobody else has said anything about it. Of course, I had so many teeth missing before my extractions that I'm not sure what my face really should look like with a full set of teeth!! I hope everything is going well, Kerri, and keep us updated.

Pam

Old 07-16-2005, 02:58 PM   #7
    kerri0500
    Veteran
    (female)

kerri0500 HB User

Pam, Thank you for the response! I really appreciate it..I have a few mouth sores that hurt sooo bad when i put the denture back in! I had them on top which eventually went away but these are on the inside gums (where your tongues is) near where the molars used to be...they are swollen and like white on top with alot of red around them..It is funny because the extraction sites dont even hurt its just these..I go back on Tuesday and he will adjust them. I was asking if people tell you that you look different because my daughter(16) was sitting there staring at me and i said what? and she said "you look SOOOOO differnet now" so i guess thats a good thing!!!!!???

Kerri

Old 07-16-2005, 08:17 PM   #8
    crisma
    Veteran
    (female)

crisma HB User

Hi Kerri! Everyone tells me that I look different too. My cousin says that my facial structure has changed. I don't notice it, but they say I look fine. I had the exact same sore spots. They hurt sooo much worse than getting the teeth pulled. Your dentist will probably have to grind some of the liner off. Have you tried Benzodent? You can get it at Wal-Mart. It numbs, plus helps with the healing.As soon as you can try to use some adhesive. It will help keep the dentures from slipping, keeping you from getting sore spots.

Cristie

Old 07-17-2005, 09:05 AM   #9
    kerri0500
    Veteran
    (female)

kerri0500 HB User

Cristie, i have orabase, but the problem i have is that it says to dry the area first..It is wayyyy down by the end of the denture around the tongue..How do I do that? lol
    People do not even recognize me...It is so funny. i have also lost over 55 pounds since Jan. so I am sure that is part of it too! I have an appointment on Tues. but I am going to try and go tomorrow. My gums are healing nicely I think....alot of new tissue and the blood clots look "old". Thanks for all of your help and advice!

Kerri

Old 07-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #10
    CARAT414
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CARAT414 HB User

Kerri, I had a couple of spots just like that and I just put the benzodent directly on the denture, then when I put it in my mouth it goes right to where its sore. It still hurts a little when putting them in but it does help in the long run. And my dentist also gave me permission to file on my dentures. He told me that there was nothing I could do to them he could have fixed so what ever made it easier on me. I used a small nail file and took off a little just so the pressure wasn't so bad.

I had actually gotten so good at filing down those spots I started using a dremel.. But be careful it can get away from you really quick.

Good Luck,

C

Old 07-17-2005, 02:16 PM   #11
    chatty8484
    Veteran
    (female)

chatty8484 HB User

A dremel........girl you are crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

chatty

Old 07-17-2005, 03:39 PM   #12
    crisma
    Veteran
    (female)

crisma HB User

Hi Kerri, congrats on the weight loss ! I know what you mean about a "dry" area. All I did was blot under my tongue with a paper towel. Of course it was not dry by the time I got the benzodent on there, but it still did work. I also would take a Q-Tip, put the benzodent on it and hold it on the sore spot for a while. That seemed to help. No one warned me how bad those sore spots can be. I hope you get over them soon!

Cristie

Old 07-18-2005, 04:27 AM   #13
    kerri0500
    Veteran
    (female)

kerri0500 HB User

Thanks guys for helping me out! I am going to try the paper towel trick this morning, but not the dremel! lol
    I am so clumsy, i can only imagine what damage i could do with a dremel! The extraction sites barely even hurt anymore it is the sore spots. I am hoping he adjusts them tomorrow because it is making me not want to eat at all! thanks for the congrats onthe weight loss, another 25 to go! Thanks again! I can use all the help i can get!

Kerri

Old 07-19-2005, 10:07 PM   #14
    semperwife

semperwife HB User

Congrats Kerri.. on both the weight loss and dealing with the whole denture experience.

As for facial differences.. I keep telling my hubby and my dentist that my chin area looks different.. I dont like it but no one else can see it so who knows.. maybe I am just imagining things. It just seems to me my lower teeth are much bigger than before and when I smile now you can see more of my teeth.. don't know if that makes any sense or not.

Hey Casey.. have you tried the buffer pad on the dremel? it takes it off a little at a time and really smooth to boot!! It felt so much better when I just shaved a little off and made it smooth

Old 07-19-2005, 11:36 PM   #15
    CARAT414
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CARAT414 HB User

Kerri I am so glad that you have managed to lose all that weight. But please stop sending it my way. I cant even chew, I half the amount of food I use to and I am always hungry and I have gained weight. In fact I weigh more right now then I have weighed since I was in tenth grade outside of being pregnant. When I was in tenth grade I went through a really rough time and my bestest of bestest friend was the ice cream man.
    I have a close up picture of me smiling the day before my surgery with all my pearly whites smiling back at me, so I am ahead of all of you on that front. They have a picture of exactly what my face and mouth is suppose to look like. I think it was one of hubbys most brillant ideas.
    I am the queen of the dremel. I even do hubbys for him. My denturist even remarked on how well I did on my home repairs. I guess all my pipe fixing, tile laying, sanding, texturing and painting was useful in more ways then one. LOL

Christi, haven't heard much of you lately, everything okay?????

Casey

Closed Thread