It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Questions about root planing & scaling

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2005, 09:49 PM   #1
    camchase
    (female)

camchase HB User
    Questions about root planing & scaling

Hope a couple of you can answer some of these questions. Thanks in advance for the help. I need an education fast on this subject.

If a patient doesn't have periodontal disease, but scaling and root planing is done, what effect does that have on the gums (and teeth/roots)?

If it is done when not needed, does that now set up an environment for issues that wasn't there prior to the procedure?

Can the procedure be done on someone who doesn't have periodontal disease and deeper than normal pocketing?

Hygenists: If a patient comes to you scheduled for scaling & root planing and you determine they don't have 4 - 5 - 6 mm pocketing, do you/can you do the procedure anyway? Ethically, will you do the procedure or bring your concerns to the dentist who diagnosed it?

I have read that root planing will often leave some spacing between your teeth at the gum line. How then would this square if veneers were delivered first and THEN the root planing was done?

Again, thanks.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-04-2013 at 06:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
    Warah
    Inactive
    (female)

Warah HB User
    Re: Questions about root planing & scaling

Scaling and root planing is indicated only in the presence of periodontal disease. Periodontal disease is ultimately bone loss, hence periodontal pockets are presents as well as subgingival tartar and toxins on the root surface. However, you can also have pockets due to gingival inflammation only--that is only the gums are swollen and infected but there is no bone loss.

If scaling and root planing is done on a patient with no bone loss, the periodontal ligament could be torn, thus increasing the pocket. Secondary problems like increased sensitivity can also occur.

The law differs in each state for hygiene practices.
    Ultimately, diagnosis/treatment planning is the dentist responsibility. However, the hygienist has a LEGAL ethical obligation to refuse treatment recommended by the doctor if it is unethical. It is not only the doctors license on they line but also the hygienists. This can be a gray area since expertise/education differ among a dentist and hygienist. But most hygienists and even assistants know and understand what is right and wrong in treatment planning patients. And in most offices, the hygienists/dentist work as co-therapists together to determine hygiene treatment. Since the dentist does not do the cleanings he/she will often verify the hygienist findings and allow them to treatment plan thier own patients.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:54 AM   #3
    camchase
    (female)

camchase HB User

Thank you, WaRDH, for your answers. I was diagnosed with generalized (full mouth) 4 - 5 mm pocketing (moderate periodontal disease) by a dentist and he wanted to put me through STMIII root planing and scaling at a cost of $1200. Due to his improper procedures and the severe damage he caused to my nerves, I sought out the services of a second dentist. During my examination with the 2nd dentist (a prosthodontist) I asked him how he was going to treat my periodontal disease. He said "What periodontal disease?" and then told me I had been improperly diagnosed. He sent me to the head of the periodontal department at the state university dental school for a 2nd opinion. This periodontist also agreed I had absolutely no periodontal disease. Out of 162 pockets (I have one tooth missing and no wisdom teeth) I have 145 (2mm pockets), 14 (3mm pockets), 2 (4mm pockets) and 1 (5mm pocket). As you can see, hardly periodontal disease. Not generalized (full mouth), heck, not even localized (1 tooth). I have reported this first dentist to the attorney general's office in our state. His diagnosis was not a "mis-diagnosis" but a "false and fraudulent" diagnosis simply for personal gain. I hesitate to think what going through treatments that I didn't need would have done to me or my dental health. What surprised me was I have recently talked to 2 other people who have said the same thing happened to them. They, however, didn't report it. Sad, because I suspect that this does go on in this business, however, I want to believe that it is limited to a small handful of dishonest dentists. Again, sad.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:22 AM   #4
    wyod501
    (male)

wyod501 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camchase
    ) Sad, because I suspect that this does go on in this business, however, I want to believe that it is limited to a small handful of dishonest dentists. Again, sad.

Sadly, this type of thing goes on more than you can guess. I had a similar situation about a year ago when an established dentist diagnosed me with three cavities, needing two crowns, and having 4-6 mm pocket depth throughout my periodontum. (The rdh nor the dentist ever ran the probe!) I left and never did make a followup appointment. About four months later, I got a "contract for services and treatment" in the mail to cover all this for $4,000 +/-.

Scaling and root planing is a money maker for a dental clinic. Not to say that it is a totally unnecessary procedure, but often is promoted when accelerated cleanings would do the same thing. This was my case six years ago when I finally got over my phobia and started going and taking care of my teeth. I hadn't been to the dentist for nearly twenty years previous to that.

Always make the people who are giving you care prove that the treatment they are recommending is necessary.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
    camchase
    (female)

camchase HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wyod501
    Scaling and root planing is a money maker for a dental clinic. Not to say that it is a totally unnecessary procedure, but often is promoted when accelerated cleanings would do the same thing. This was my case six years ago when I finally got over my phobia and started going and taking care of my teeth. I hadn't been to the dentist for nearly twenty years previous to that.

You are correct. He wanted me to come in every 3 months for cleaning as well as the $1200. treatments. The periodontist told me all I needed was a regular cleaning every 6 months, that my teeth were in very good condition. I sat and figured it out, dollarwise. If he does this only once a week to a patient and they fall for it, it boosts his bottom line about $150,000 every year. Shame on him and all that allow this to continue, who look the other way. I made the decision to report him to the attorney generals office because I could not, in good conscience, allow him to do this to someone else. I shudder when thinking that I very well might have gone through with those treatments when I didn't need to.

Closed Thread