It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Small hole in tooth, could whitening strips be the culprit?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
    silentcat

silentcat HB User
    Small hole in tooth, could whitening strips be the culprit?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out...

Just this morning I noticed a scratchy point on one of my teeth with my tongue when I woke up that was not there before. After brushing, I looked in the mirror, and to my horror I realised there was a tiny pin-sized hole on the backside of my bottom front tooth. I've always been reasonably good about dental hygeine and have never had a cavity in my life. (I'm in my twenties) The hole isn't miscolored like a cavity, and it also isn't hurting, but it's really upsetting me. Around the hole, there is a bright white area that seems to stick out a little from my tooth, like a deposit of some kind.

Just this week I started using Crest whitestrips. Now I had used them two years ago and had no problems, so I decided to buy a set and use them again. The solution never gave me any gum or tooth discomfort before, and didn't this time as well. I find it a little coincidental that the same week I start reusing the white strips I get a hole in my front tooth though, and I'm hoping they didn't wear away my enamel. Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening before? It could just be coincidence, but I'm freaking out about my tooth because I've always had a decent smile.

I'm very upset because I don't think my work covers dental insurance. Does this sound like a big deal to anyone? What do you think my best solution would be to rectify the whole before it turns into a serious cavity, and would it be a lot of money to fix? I'm sorry, but I've never had something like this happen before. Any advice would be good and much apprechiated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
    Christai77
    (male)

Christai77 HB User
    Re: Small hole in tooth, could whitening strips be the culprit?

Silent cat,

The only way to be sure is to see a dentist. It could very well be nothing, or if you hadn't had your teeth cleaned in awhile a piece of calculus (the deposit you were talking about). In fact the lower linguals are a very common place to get build up b/c it's tough to brush there. It's hard to say without seeing you. a limited problem eval at my office is like 65 bucks plus maybe an xray at 29 bucks so maybe a hundred
    dollars if you don't have insurance. but i say, what is piece of mind worth? I also believe that small problems have small fixes.

here's what i'd do if I were you.
    1) check on my insurance, do i have it or no?
    2) when was my last cleaning? >1 year maybe it's just a deposit
    3) see the dentist...only way to be sure. if you can take a picture of it and email it to me, i'll try to tell you what it is myself :P.

[Please read the "Posting Rules" above. We permit on-board sharing only...and no pictures. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 08-07-2005 at 08:21 PM.

Closed Thread