It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Severe Perio Disease...Still have my teeth!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2005, 11:22 PM   #1
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User
    Severe Perio Disease...Still have my teeth!

I wanted to update those of you who know my story of severe periodontal disease. In brief, this was discovered June 2004 and i went crazy finding out all about it. My pockets on all my molars ranged from small at 6mm to 14 and 15 mm. I went to several dentists/perios/surgeons who wanted to pull all of my molars and most of the premolars to start out and said there was no hope for them. But i could not accept that my teeth had to be pulled. I had no problems with them up until then and they looked great and felt great. I was able to find a perio who was willing to try to save as many as possible. So I had my wisdom teeth and 2 other molars pulled and then went to work with deep cleanings and flap surgery on the rest. Today I had my first probing after all the work was finished and allowed to settle for 6 months or so.
    Happily, most of my pockets now are between 2-4mm with just two at 5-6. My perio is happy with the outcome but warns me that this is a lifelong battle keeping the infection at bay so they will not get bad again.
    The reason for my story though is that i still have all my teeth except those 2 molars on the end and wisdoms. And it looks like I have a great chance of keeping them. My particular situation may not be the same as yours but I fought hard to keep my natural teeth and I won. Anyone out there facing the loss of teeth for this reason who is interested in trying to save them, it is a possibility for some of you! Don't give up or give in too fast.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2005, 11:37 PM   #2
    hipnotyk
    (male)

hipnotyk HB User
    Re: Severe Perio Disease...Still have my teeth!

Wow, hey congradulations!

I'm sure the entire ordeal was both expensive and a little painful but it seems like it was worth it.

Gives a lot of us hope that have a lot of dental problems.

Thanks for a positive note to remind us all that there is the opportunity for full recoveries.

Old 08-14-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
    brocally
    (female)

brocally HB User

Thanks for posting. Just what I needed to hear.

May you have continued success.

Old 08-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
    Skyla

Skyla HB User

Lateeth,

What wonderful news for you. I have thought of you often, and Im so glad to hear this news.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:23 PM   #5
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User

Hey Skyla, I haven't seen your name around for a long time. I have been thinking of you too! How is it going with you. I hope you have some good news too, or at least not all bad. Have you made decisions on what to do yet?

Old 08-16-2005, 09:09 AM   #6
    lindiana53
    (female)

lindiana53 HB User

Thanks for sharing this story. I firmly believe that people should try to keep their teeth if at all possible. I'm glad you looked for a dentist who would help you.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
    CK40CK
    (female)

CK40CK HB User

Hi Lateeth,

Your name was one of the first I saw when I first came to this board about a year ago. Like you I have suffered with periodontal disease. I am making progress it is long and hard and expensive. I now take better care of my teeth. I even bought a sonicare and the plaque and stains seems to really dissapear. Any advice or thoughts on your progress with perio disease is appreciated. My next step is the 3 month cleanings. I have had periodontal surgery. I am hoping that is the end of the surgery process. I guess we shall see. Again, I am happy your progress is going so well.
    All the best.

CK

Old 08-16-2005, 04:33 PM   #8
    kusum
    (female)

kusum HB User

Hi Lateeth,

Good to hear from you again. You are always an inspiration to me. I happened to see your post just in time.

I took whole mouth x-ray and discussed with my perio yesterday. There has been a lot of bone loss and several teeth are expected to be loose (one upper incisor is already very loose). My largest pocket is 10 mm. He suggested I pull all my upper teeth and get dentures. He is afraid my teeth might catch infection anytime (Infection has never been there for me my gums are always pink and firm). I am, just like you, trying my level best to keep my natural teeth. I plan on making a visit to another perio and see if he can help me in any way (may be bone grafts..) So far I spent $1000 just in visits. But hope to find a solution soon.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:16 AM   #9
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User

I think that maybe I had the "perfect storm". Although i had really, really deep pockets, i also live in a huge city with lots of dental choices and ***decent*** insurance(I don't think any of this stuff they call dental insurance is much good though). My gums are very strong and had not receded at all, in fact I had enough gum so that the perio was able to trim them down a mm or so decreasing my pocket depth a bit that way. she is very careful about things and i think we were on the same wavelength. She is in a semi private practice at a large university and also on the faculty there so she is on the forefront of research...her specialty is bacteria. Her idea is not to use antibiotics to get rid of the infection but to clean it all out.
    For CK4OCK, I have a glassful of dental implements which i try to use religiously...I was never very good at remembering to use them before but now with the fear of losing my teeth, i make sure to use them every day, sometimes more often. Like you, i now have an electric toothbrush, my new "toy" is a sulci..or some name like that. It is a small angled hardbristled brush to clean the plaque right at the gum line in the back of my teeth where the toothbrush does not reach very well. I have a 4x4 gauze square to clean the very end tooth in each corner. I have a tree shaped interplaque brush to clean the plaque and dinner out from between my molars(anyone who has had flap surgery will know, a whole meal can get trapped there), I have another cheapie toothbrush to apply the Gel flouride when the unmineralized tooth parts start getting sensitive to cold and sweet...so far only once. Anyway, every trip to the perio, she introduces some other implement. The key is to keep the plaque from forming into tartar and growing under the gums again and to keep the gums tight on the teeth. My big problem seems to be overproduction of plaque. So daily cleanings all around and dental cleanings to try to keep the infection from forming...Hopefully if we stay on top of things, we can stay on top of things! You must be where i am now if you are up to cleanings. I do not think they redo surgery so fast. So hopefully neither of us will need it again for a long while.
    Kusum, I too had loose teeth...the one in particular which bothered me was the upper one next to the middle one. It seemed every time i bit down it would wiggle. Now i can feel it wiggling but it does not seem to bother my eating anymore. My gums looked great to me but my dentist thought they looked like lots of infection underneath. She did warn me about infection spreading from tooth to tooth and ruining the better teeth that way. That was why i had to have the few pulled, because the gaps where the infection could settle were too big with too much bone loss.
    By no means am i out of the woods yet, I just feel every trip to the dentist without her saying "okay we tried and tried and now i think we need to pull ...." is part of a success. I told her last time if i could just hang in until they perfect the regrowing of teeth i will be happy. I may very well survive for a long time with 3x per year cleanings. we will have to see what the future brings.
    The one thing I noticed reading all the posts, is that people who get dentures and implants and teeth pulled,etc. do not necessarily get rid of all their problems. That is one of the reasons I am trying to save my teeth. The expense is less than implants if it works, and from what i have heard, with an implant you can still get problems with pockets. So if i am to have pocket problems, i may as well keep my own teeth. I might be wrong. I have $2,000 per year on my insurance. Last year I only went over insurance by less than $2,000 with root canal, cleanings, 4 flap surgeries. I am working on my $2,000 for this year now. Compared to the $35,000 or so i calculated for implants if i had my teeth pulled, i consider that cheap. And i think, if you make this a priority for expenses, most people can find something they can do without to make up the money...carpool to work, pack lunches, stop ordering starbucks, get a prepaid cell phone(mine cost me $3 per month) if you need one for emergencies, whatever. If you think your health is important to your future, you need to work to get it right. There is no time like the present to make long lasting changes.
    Anyway, this board has been a bright spot in all this mess for me. Everyone on it is so helpful. I could not have done this much without the support. And i hope my message and everyone elses tell of success one , two , three + years into the future.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:34 AM   #10
    CARAT414
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CARAT414 HB User

lateeth, I so agree with you. Your natural teeth are a gold mine and everything should be done to prevent extraction. I had healthy teeth. I did have a couple of fillings here and there, and a couple of harsh warnings from the hygenist after a tough cleaning but never anything major.
    I would do just about anything to have my real teeth back, dentures are no fun, they are awkward, uncomfortable, and just dont feel right. The financial drain they have been is way beyond what a person annually pays for preventative dental care. And the dental visits from what I am understanding will actually be more frequent then with my natural teeth.
    In my case, which I am told is very, very rare, it was either my teeth or my life, and so basically I had no choice. Be very careful with infections, they can spread rapidly. If the first dentist had reconized the severity of my infection I might have lost one tooth, and had some bone scraping done, instead of a week later being rushed into major surgery that claimed all 28 of my teeth, and 75% of my upper and lower jaw bones.

I wish all of you who are fighting the battle to save your teeth the strength, wisdom and determination to suceed.

Casey

Old 08-17-2005, 02:54 AM   #11
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User

I am sorry for the loss of your teeth and your sad and rapid experience. I think it is even harder to take when you have no time to prepare for the idea. Have you thought, or are you a candidate for implants? I have spoken to a few people who have them and they say they feel like regular teeth.
    I truly know what infections can do. I work in health care and have seen infections spread as rapidly as in your case. Sometimes they are unspottable as by the time you feel sick it is too late. I do hope you make peace with your dentures someday. And always remember, when your dentures are bothering you, that you are still alive to feel them bothering you.

Old 08-17-2005, 03:31 AM   #12
    CARAT414
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CARAT414 HB User

I am in the process of getting 6 implants placed right now. They are for use with the bottom dentures for the time being but are being placed in position so if my bone does regenerate, and all goes well with limited gum shrinkage, I can continue to add implants until I can have individual teeth placed on them. The tops I am going to have to settle with at the most implants for the front four teeth, maximum 6 teeth with extensive bone graphing, and partial dentures with hopefully implant supports. I have to much bone, gum and palette loss for individual implants in the area of the molars.

I already thank god for just inconveniencing my life instead of taking it and the price is actually quite small when looking at the whole picture. But the anger and depression part still sneaks up on me at times. I was one of those who had alot of major information thrown at them in a short amount of time and it was just so overwheming. Basically it put me in shock. Dont remember much of anything of that entire office visit.

Casey

Old 08-18-2005, 01:31 AM   #13
    Skyla

Skyla HB User

Hi Lateeth....

Well I'm not sure if good news or bad....I had to put all treatment on hold for a bit due unforseen events in my life, they are still on going....but treatment can not wait because that front tooth is only getting looser. I have had scalings and kept up with 3 month recalls.

I visited with another peri during that time and got another opinion....She sent me for a cat scan....She said no the teeth did not have to come out now but could not say how long they would last. She gave me a choice of pulling all and doing implants or perio surgery and a partial in front....My front 4 do have to go.

I really wanted something permanent in the front like implants. So I brought the Cat scan to the 2nd peri, the one I had been going to for the scalings and cleaning. He said I have more bone then he thought and yes I can do implants in the front. I was to have peri surgery and then implants.....I needed to come in for a cleaning 1st, witch I did on monday and I saw the peris partner. He said he can't say how long they will last either, 5, 10, 15 years etc....But except for the front nothing is loose...and we could do the implants in front.

His partner spoke with my peri and called me yesterday, now the plan is to do the implants 1st as he is afraid that front tooth isn't going to hold much longer. He doesn't want me to go thru the emotion of looseing a front tooth. He said then we will continue with the perio issue. I have seen the partner for all my cleanings and he has been very pleased with the results.....So now I need to decide what I want to use as a temp restoration. Either a flipper(I have a gag reflex) An essix retainer, or a fixed bridge(would have to use my virgin eye teeth) After I tell him this he will give me the whole plan. <phew...confuseing huh>

Kusum, I am so sorry have you gotten a 2nd opinion?

Carat, I have read some of your posts and I'm so sorry what happened. I hope you will be pain free very soon.

Best of Luck to all of you

Last edited by Skyla; 08-18-2005 at 01:39 AM.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:15 AM   #14
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User

hey skyla, this sounds like very good news considering all the confusion about different treatments you went thru a while back. Now this plan sounds rather simple and certainly seems to be much less teeth you are losing. Of course, it would be wonderful if all the teeth decided to be perfect, but if you only will lose 4 teeth and be able to get implants there, that is great news. and it sounds as though you finally found a dental office you feel comfortable with. I know that was a problem too. We just do not know what we are getting ourselves in for. It is so hard to find the right person. But this sounds good. As for the flipper??? I have no idea about them and just hope i never have to know.
    I am still awaiting the breakthru in growing back teeth. then we can have our bad ones pulled and grow back beautiful flawless ones. Hopefully they will be able to grow back the bone as that seems to be the major problem for us. keep me posted.

Closed Thread