It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• is it safe to shave teeth w/diamond tool or disc-rotor?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2005, 01:24 AM   #1
    newmouth
    (female)

newmouth HB User
    is it safe to shave teeth w/diamond tool or disc-rotor?

i am new here and have sought several orthodontist's opinions about how to re-straighten my teeth. while the proposed treatment plans dramatically differ, all of the orthodontists i've consulted want to create space by shaving at least a tiny bit off of several of my lower teeth.

is this safe? if so, is using the diamond tool (not sure of details) better/worse than using the disc-rotor? the ortho who uses the diamond tool says he can be more precise than with the disc-rotor. he says the disc-rotor sometimes results in having too much tooth removed.

also, he will attach a metal rod behind my lower teeth as a retainer once my braces are off. has anyone used this? it sounds great, but i wonder if there might be a greater risk of tooth decay or decalcification.

thanks for any input you guys may have!

newmouth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2005, 05:44 AM   #2
    Christai77
    (male)

Christai77 HB User
    Re: is it safe to shave teeth w/diamond tool or disc-rotor?

removal of enamel is like getting a hair cut. you don't feel it, but it doens't grow back. however you have a finite amount of it. As long as you have some left, I wouldn't worry about cavities. otherwise it's completely safe.

as for trimming, the tool is not as important as the operator. the guy using the tool is really what matters. so i don't think it's fair to say one is better or worse than the other. the best tool in the hands of a monkey isn't going to do as well as a chisel in a human's hands etc.

the metal rod is a cemented retainer. it is done all the time. however, once in place, it is more difficult to keep clean. if you are an adult and can remember to wear a removable retainer at night, i recommend a removable one. it allows you to keep your teeth cleaner. fixed retainers are usually put on kids, because they aren't as compliant and don't understand as readily that if you don't wear the retainer your teeth will shift and you've wasted thousands of dollars.

Old 09-05-2005, 12:54 AM   #3
    newmouth
    (female)

newmouth HB User

i really appreciate your advice. the fixed retainer sounds more convenient, but not really worth it if it would make my teeth harder to clean. i wonder if i will struggle to wear a removable retainer nearly every night for the rest of my life. the orthodontist said that people tend to lose them, although of course they are replaceable. i wish i had worn my retainers as a teenager...i feel terrible for having wasted my mom's hard-earned money back then, when it was a real sacrifice for her.

thanks again,

newmouth

Old 09-05-2005, 05:34 AM   #4
    Christai77
    (male)

Christai77 HB User

fixed retainers just need a little bit more cleaning is all. if you are worried about it at all, then go for fixed. some type A personalities are really good with removable. but if you are on the go all the time with more important things on your mind, fixed might be the best way for you.

Closed Thread