It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• root canal vs extraction.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2005, 09:09 PM   #1
    SomeRandomDude
    (male)

SomeRandomDude HB User
    root canal vs extraction.

I've got a tooth that just loves to abcess.

Have been told that I need a root canal done on it, if I want to save the tooth.

The problem is root canals are not excatly cheap.

On the other end of the spectrum, the tooth is sorta close to the front.. and I would rather not have a big gap in my teeth. I'm already not the most confident person and that would be the final straw.

So...... I ask this:

Assuming my only realistic option is extraction, what would be my options in terms of getting a fake tooth in.... and are these things typically natural looking enough, that it would be hard to tell it was fake?

Finally not really fully on topic here, but can one get braces, with one or more fake teeth? That comes into play, because I was wanting to eventually look into the "invisiline" to straighten my teeth a little.

Thanks!

Last edited by SomeRandomDude; 09-21-2005 at 09:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
    inkoftal
    (female)

inkoftal HB User
    Re: root canal vs extraction.

A root canal is always followed up by a crown to stabilize the tooth that has lost it's root. This and a fake tooth will both appear basically the same, but both are gone about in dramatically different ways. After you have a root canal, you can choose to either have a porcelain crown, which you can hardly tell the difference between it and your natural teeth. It also will not leave any darkness along your gumline like a porcelain with metal crown will. There are other differences, too, but this is the most noticeable. Oh- and the price, too, which is quite a bit cheaper. Another option is a gold crown. It is impossible to chip unlike with porcelain and is the cheapest if appearance is not a priority to you.

In receiving a crown after the root canal, you may receive a "build up". Then a temporary crown may be placed on for a few weeks depending on what type of crown you're receiving. In a different case, you'll just receive your permanent crown with a permanent bond.

It is the priority of a dentist to save your existing teeth. It is always the best decision if possible. With a fake tooth, I think you can have basically the same kind - gold or porcelain - but after the extraction (and much tissue/bone healing), have a rod drilled into your jaw bone where your former tooth used to be. Then the tooth is placed over the rod and.. you have a tooth! They're also natural looking. I am unsure about the price of this. But as for having one placed before any ortho treatments.. you'll have to ask your dentist or orthodontist about it. I'm doubting it though.

Now if you were to extract and that's it, no reconstruction of any sort? You have the possibility of your front teeth spreading apart to fill that hole, gapping as they do. Or one of the teeth either before or behind the missing tooth "collapse" into the next with a leaning posture. This doesn't necesarily create problems, but can be difficult to clean, leading to cavities and such.

Sometimes, if you have crowding in the front and a tooth is removed, this can become quite helpful either in orthodontic treatments or they may just fix themselves. I had two teeth extracted for both the abcess and ortho reasons. You could also look into receiving a bridge, but those are pretty pricey as well. If finances are the #1 reason leading you to have an extraction, you should inquire about payment plans at your dentists' office or with another dentist.

Best of health and decision making to you! I hope I was of some assistance. Be sure to talk extensively to your dentist about all of your options before making up your mind; it's a big decision to make!

Last edited by inkoftal; 09-22-2005 at 11:34 AM.

Closed Thread