It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Can badly fitting crowns hurt?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2005, 06:44 PM   #1
    clivecat
    (female)

clivecat HB User
    Can badly fitting crowns hurt?

About 18 months ago, a little bit of one of my back teeth broke off so I went to my dentist. My dentist was unavailable (on maternity leave), so I saw another dentist at the practice who fixed the tooth (temporarily) and recommended that I had that tooth crowned. He also wanted to crown the one next to it, as both teeth had large, old fillings and would fall apart soon. So I had both teeth crowned.
    To cut a long story short, one crown fell off repeatedly and became extremely painful, and was eventually replaced by another dentist at the same practice (she replaced the one who left after having her child) but it took me 6 months and 11 visits to get it done. It took that long because I wouldn't have a root filling when there was no evidence (besides tooth-ache) that I needed one.The crown I now have covers more of the tooth than before but I have had no more pain and I don't even notice it anymore.
    Unfortunately, I can now tell that the other tooth hurts! I went back to my dentist who took X-rays that showed no inflammation but did show that that crown didn't fit very well. She filled a gap along one side which has helped but flossing is still painful so it's obvious that there are other gaps. My dentist says I just have sensitive teeth but I think the crown is the cause of the problem. Right now I have a throbbing ache centred on the spot that hurts to floss and I am feeling a bit down. I know I should go back to my dentist but is she right or can a badly fitting crown cause tooth-ache like this? Frankly, knowing that I have to go and see her again and have her recommend the same things as before (filling the gaps or a root-filling) is more depressing than the tooth-ache.
    I would be really grateful for any advice on what I should do next.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2005, 06:26 PM   #2
    Warah
    Inactive
    (female)

Warah HB User
    Re: Can badly fitting crowns hurt?

CLivecat--

If you truely have "sensitive" teeth, try using Sensodyne toothpaste religiously for one month. It is true that crowns/fillings can be senstive for quite awhile but 18 months is questionable.
    If it doesn't go away I would ask the dentist to re do the crown at no charge. Is where it hurts the same spot where the "crown didn't fit right?" It sounds like the margin was open and was unsucessfully patched. Inform the dentist of all your symptoms including the biting pain (you should not have this) and ask for a new crown. A good dentist stands behind their work.

Good Luck

Closed Thread