It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Infection still present after extraction - advice please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2001, 11:54 PM   #1
    Mark-48

Mark-48 HB User
    Question Infection still present after extraction - advice please!

Five weeks after an extraction, I am experiencing pain although the gum has closed up. Any advice welcome!

Five weeks ago I had a lower molar extracted.
    Dentist had done a root canal three months before but infection kept coming back in spite of antibiotics, so he pulled the tooth without ever completing the root canal treatment. I had a second opinion on this (more or less by accident, as in an emergency I had to see a different dentist) and extraction seemed to be the safest way to go as there was a chronic infection around the root.
    After the extraction there was a lot of pain but my dentist packed the tooth with something (twice) and prescribed some antibiotics and after 10 days, the pain more or less went away and the gum began to heal well.
    But after another few weeks, as the gum closed up completely, pain came back, as bad as before. I saw a different dentist who said that this was very unusual, as normally the infection just drains away before the wound closes up. He said painkillers and antiobiotics was 'all he could offer' at the moment. An X-ray showed that there had been a 'cystic lesion' around the root of the tooth, but it was now filling with bone. He thought that the infection might go away as the space filled with bone (at least I think that's what he thought), otherwise it would need surgery later if a permanently infected cyst formed.
    I have already had 4 courses of 3 different antiobiotics for short periods. I decided not to take a 5th course but to see if I could just control the pain, and so far I can manage - but not forever! I am worried that the infection is just where it has always been, only it's now sealed in, and removing the tooth is no longer available as a remedy.
    Should I propose a course of strong antiobiotics, rather than the short bursts I have been having? Or try to let my immune system do the work, since the bacteria are getting a pretty good workout from all the antibiotics, and must be getting resistant?
    Or hope for the best?
    By the way, I am in England and dental treatment is not too costly, but changing dentists is not a real option. My dentist is quite new to the job but he seems competent and the others I have seen in emergencies don't seem to contradict him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2001, 12:55 AM   #2
    Christie

Christie HB User
    I'm sorry i can't answer your questions...there are some really good dentists on this board who probably can.

I'd just like to know when you had your root canal done and you say that the infection kept coming back how do you know that? Was it showing up on an xray or were they just going by symptoms you were having.

Thanks for answering my question.

Closed Thread