It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• don't fix what ain't BROKEN...why didn't I listen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
    aliciakeltner

aliciakeltner HB User
    don't fix what ain't BROKEN...why didn't I listen

At the beginning of Sept, I had a cracked tooth...it cracked at the filling. No pain, but I knew I needed it fixed, so I got a discount dental plan and an appointment.

Then the dentist checks me out and tells me that not only do I need a crown on that one, but 2 others. The 2 others had fillings in them and when a light was held up to the tooth it showed a fracture. And I need an onlay in another spot where a filling had caused the tooth to fracture. PLUS, 2 cavities (one next to an old cavity in same tooth, one in a "good" tooth). Stupid me says, "ok, do it all".

After the first visit where I got temporary crowns, my jaws were killing me and my gums were raw. They were like that for 3 weeks (ibuprofin 3x day). Then I noticed something black coming out from one of my gums...it was a chunk of metal filling that the dentist had chipped off...it had gotten stuck in my gums that were stretched out to fit the temporary crowns. Finally, no more gum/jaw pain. Too bad the dentist couldn't figure that out when I had gone back complaining of gum/jaw pain mid 3 weeks.

While getting fitted for the last crown, the dentist tells me to bite down to check the fit. ~CRACK~ The crown chips off a big piece of porcelain. The dentist tells me that should NEVER happen and he'll have the lab make a new one asap.

1 week after I thought I was finally DONE with the dentist for awhile, my onlay BREAKS IN 3 pieces. From what the dentist tells me, this should never happen. It must have been a bad batch of porcelain or something. I get a temporary onlay while I wait for the lab to make a new permanent one.

The temporary onlay doesn't cover all my cavity/filling...causing sharp pain if I eat anything on that side. And that's the side I usually eat on. So I have to eat everything on my other side for the next week till the permanant onlay is ready. No big deal. I can do that....oh wait, no I can't. The crown on that side hurts like hell whenever anything hot touches it. Guess I didn't notice before because I don't normally chew on that side.

I go back asking for a better temporary onlay so I can chew on that side and ask what's up with the heat sensitivity on the other side. Doc says looks like the root has become inflammed and I'll need a root canal. GREAT. How come I didn't have any problems at all before...and now after this dentist (and $2600) I now need a root canal too! And he adds some composite to the temporary onlay. Which comes off 10 minutes later when I drink some bottled water that was in my car. Dammit.

Now, of course, my bite still doesn't line up well (what with all the new crowns etc). And I have to go to an endontist for a root canal. And my temporary onlay still hurts. And I'm turning 30.

I knew I should have just said never mind all that other stuff and just deal with the broken tooth in the first place. Who knows, those fractured teeth could have lasted 10 more years...and then I wouldn't have needed a root canal.

Any one else have this kind of luck? Is this story normal? Should the root canal issue have just "developed" like this? And should my teeth line up perfectly after new onlays and crowns, or is it normal that they'd feel a bit weird?

thanks for any help or comments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2005, 05:43 PM   #2
    julia8183

julia8183 HB User
    Re: don't fix what ain't BROKEN...why didn't I listen

Hi Alicia
    Your situation is not unusual. Any dental treatment carries risks and though you seem to have been particularly unlucky, you are not alone - Ive had similar probs to you - due to bad dentistry, bad decison making on my part, and just bad luck!
    But I must say that if it were me, I would be loathe to go back to your particular dentist - and a second opinion from another dentist, would not go amiss. Thats what I did (changed my dentist) and finally I am sorting my dental probs out at last.
    good luck

Old 10-18-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
    RachelmLo
    (female)

RachelmLo HB User
    Re: don't fix what ain't BROKEN...why didn't I listen

See another dentist and see what he/she says. Dental work does always carry a certain amount of risk, but that is an awful lot for one mouth. Good luck.

Closed Thread