It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Tooth pain and bone loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2002, 04:22 PM   #1
    Gigi16

Gigi16 HB User
    Unhappy Tooth pain and bone loss

I went to the dentist with tooth pain back by my wisdom tooth. The gum throbs a little and the tooth hurts only when I bite down. The dentist told me I have deep pockets back there where some bacteria may have settled and some bone loss has occurred so I should see an oral surgeon and have the tooth removed. What exactly do they mean by bone loss? Should I make this appointment immediately or wait to see if the penicillin helps the problem and then go? What's the best thing to help the pain in the meantime? Thanx, Gia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2002, 11:44 PM   #2
    dhuang72

dhuang72 HB User
    Is it the wisdom tooth?

bone loss means that the bone/socket that holds a tooth has been damaged by bacteria buildup.

Imagine a tree with its root deep underground. If the soil is gradually washed away, soon the roots will be exposed, and eventually there will be nothing supporting the tree and the tree dies.

I hope that helps.

Old 03-25-2002, 05:02 AM   #3
    Gigi16

Gigi16 HB User
    Talking

Thanks that did help. The antibiotics have helped the pain so I feel better but I know its needs to be taken care of. You brush, you floss, and still you can't win sometimes.

Old 03-26-2002, 07:35 PM   #4
    Jules211
    (female)

Jules211 HB User
    Gigi-

I just had three wisdom teeth removed two weeks ago. The day before my surgery, I had a cleaning done, and the dentist told me that I had developed pockets in my gums deeper than the normal, healthy level. She also said that it's nothing to worry about (at least in my case), because wisdom teeth, many times, cause problems due to the difficulty involved in keeping them clean and infection-free. But- she says it's no big deal, because once the teeth are removed (along with thorough cleanings and proper oral hygiene), the gums will heal themselves. The only exception is that bone loss is not reversible according to my research. Just get those wisdom teeth out- the sooner the better if they're starting to bother you. I know I waited to long and ended up miserable for too long!!! GOod luck to you.

Jules

P.S. If you have it done I would recommend the sedation option- it made the procedure a breeze- although recovery will take you some time most likely. Keep us posted.

Old 03-27-2002, 12:32 PM   #5
    Gigi16

Gigi16 HB User
    Talking

That's what I'm worried about...the recovery. I'm a single Mom, 2 kids, I work from home, thank God. But time off to lay around in pain isnt exactly in my schedule. Oh well..everything always has a way of working itself out. Gia

Old 03-27-2002, 02:28 PM   #6
    Jules211
    (female)

Jules211 HB User
    Gigi I know what you mean-

I am a full time college student, newlywed, and I work part time. It was rough trying to get back into the swing of things those first couple days after surgery. I would recommend getting the surgery done on a Friday morning if you can, so you can rest over the weekend before trying to work again. But that's not always possible, I know. Anyway, after a couple of days you should notice some improvement. Good luck to you!

Jules

Closed Thread