It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• My Wisdom Tooth Extraction Story

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2002, 08:40 AM   #1
    richdizz

richdizz HB User
    Talking My Wisdom Tooth Extraction Story

I read many good and bad wisdom tooth extraction stories on this board prior to my own surgery yesterday (3/5/02). I had all four wisdom teeth extracted (bottom two were bony impacted) and one pre-molar (to correct crowding with braces later this month).

I am 24 years old and have never had any major dental work...not even a filling (knock on wood). I have also not been put under since I had tubes in my ears as a small boy. So I think more than anything, I was anxious and curious what this extraction would be like. Here is how it went:

I got to the Oral Surgeon's office early, but before I knew it, I was sitting in "THE CHAIR". The nurse hooked me up to a blood pressure machine for a while. Dr. Allen soon came in and sprayed an ice-cold spray on my arm where the IV would go in (so I didn't even feel it). It felt like it took about 5 min. and I was awake as he sewed up my bottom gums (but had no pain). I remember saying "So you are done with the bottom teeth huh?", he said "No, we are completely done". So I must not have been out for a while.

I couldn't believe it over like that. Dr. Allen explained that one of the top wisdom teeth was up in the sinus area and he saw a small hole, but if I refrained from blowing my nose it should heal up fine on it's own. Then the nurse practically tried to carry me to my mothers waiting car...but I felt perfect so I had to have some fun with her (I faked fall...glad she had good humor).

Got home took my medication and changed my gauze. After about two hours the bleeding stopped and I have been without gauze ever since. It has been 24 hours, and I have felt ZERO discomfort (knock on wood...again) other than it sucked trying to drink with my bottom lip, chin, and tougue numb (I felt like a baby eating!). I never felt any nausea or pain (I even stopped taking my Vicodin last night).

Now I am just being REALLY careful so I don't do anything to dislodge the blood clots. I know I am not out of the park yet, but thus far the build-up was a joke!

The only bad side is that even though I have had zero discomfort, I have had trouble sleeping. I didn't sleep a bit after the surgery and only got about 3 hours last night...I just wasn't tired...maybe it was the medication.

Finally, I would like to give my top 5 things to have a great wisdom tooth extraction experience:

5. drink lots of fluids right after surgery (I know it is hard with everything numb, but trust me!)

4. ice every 30 mins. for 30 mins.

3. try not to talk much the first 24 hours.

2. Jello is your friend the first 24 hours. It doesn't leave a taste in your mouth that makes you want to swallow a bunch like ice cream or milk (slides down easy too!)

1. Have a GREAT attitude.

Good luck with your wisdom teeth extraction. And again, don't worry about it, I have had mosquito bites that gave me much more grief!

-Richard

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2002, 06:49 PM   #2
    rosarobin

Cool

Your post was very informative! With my DDS's permission, I'm stalling the extraction of my impacted wisdom tooth (with inflammed cyst). He said I was at HIGH RISK for complications, because of my age (63). HOW ARE YOU DOING NOW?????????

Old 03-19-2002, 05:43 AM   #3
    richdizz

richdizz HB User
    Smile

It is day 4 after my surgery. I still have not had any discomfort. I stated in my extraction story that one of the top wisdom teeth made a hole into my sinuses when it was pulled. I read that this can cause a sinus infection. I had a sinus headache yesterday that may be tied to that. Otherwise this (procedure) has been really easy.

One of the hardest things has been brushing and rinsing...I have always been very good about brushing, flossing, and rinsing throughout my day. Now I feel gross b/c I can't brush as aggesively as I could before surgery. Clean too hard and I risk injuring the extraction site...clean too little and risk infection.

Anyway, I think after one more day (day 5) I should pretty much be in the clear for a dry socket.

I hope your results go as smooth as mine have (surgery or not). Best of luck!

-Richard

Old 03-22-2002, 02:29 PM   #4
    Kerry21
    (female)

Kerry21 HB User
    Hey Richard!! its so nice to hear a good story for once.. i had 2 impacted monsters removed last year and let me tell ya, i was so nervous i was suffering from panic attacks before i even made an appt!! i got them out and everything was ok. i was in pain and very uncomfy but really, it was nothing like i thought it would be.. i starved myself and made myself sick with all the meds.. then i started drinking heavy chocolate milk which coated my stomach and made me feel so much better.. in 6 days i was fine.. they said come in lets see of those stitches can come out and in 6 days they did!! i went right to our restaurant, had a huge meal and a huge glass of wine!! LOL..

but its that time again and i gotta say i am a little nervous.. i go in april 2nd for the right side.. i will get put to sleep again.. im just afraid she will wake me up while she is stitching me like she did the last time and that FREAKED ME OUT!! it didnt really hurt like hell, it was just so scarey because it was like so fast and weird. u know exactly what im talking about.. she said i didnt even come close to a dry socket.. i didnt have holes.. maybe because they are totally impacted and she just sewed the gums right over it?? i dont know.. but that was my biggest fear.. but im going to take care of myself and do exactly what i did the last time.. only bad thing, this oral surgeon dont mess around.. she is very strict with pain killers so i had to like beg and beg.. she gave me 4 percosets!! thats it!! but thats ok cause im gonna ask around and i have a full bottle of motrin 800 waiting for me.. im gonna stop typing now cause its making my wisdom teeth scream for mercy!! oh well. im glad after this ill never ever have to think about those ugly teeth ever eveveveveveer again!!

im so glad ur doing good.. whoever is reading this, look out for my post on april 2nd in the morning cause i will post before and after i get back... and for the people out there who need this done, all i can say is that this surgery isnt a big deal as people make it to be.. dont be scared, just pick up the phone and get it over with already!!!!!! http://www.theunholytrinity.org/crac...iggthumpup.gif

[This message has been edited by Kerry21 (edited 03-22-2002).]

Old 03-22-2002, 04:07 PM   #5
    Jules211
    (female)

Jules211 HB User
    Glad to hear you had a smooth surgery and recovery. Everyone is different when it comes to these blasted teeth. I, for one, have not had a very easy time. I quit smoking almost two weeks before surgery, and the surgery itself was easy enough- but my recovery has been slow, painful, and uncomfortable. I had three removed, the upper two were very easy and have not bothered me- but the lower left was complicated and the left side of my jaw has consistently ached since my surgery 9 days ago. The dentist says I'm just a slow healer- I'm only 20 yrs. old so I don't get it. Oh well, I hope to feel normal again soon- good luck to you Kerry- I read all your posts about your first surgery and it made me feel better knowing I wasn't the only one freaking out every day about dry sockets! Hope everything goes smoothly.

Jules

Old 03-22-2002, 06:50 PM   #6
    Kerry21
    (female)

Kerry21 HB User
    is there a reason why u quit smoking 2 weeks before the surgery?? do they say u heal really slow if u are a smoker even if u dont smoke while healing?? i didnt have a cigg for a whole week after my surgery, i did fine, why did i go back? i have no idea! but this time, im going to try real hard to just stop all together..

Old 03-23-2002, 03:24 PM   #7
    Jules211
    (female)

Jules211 HB User
    Kerry-

Well, smoking does greatly increase your chance of developing a dry socket... from what I read women are more prone to get them- also smoking and using birth control pills make you more at risk (although I don't know why), but combine all those factors and your risk factor goes way up for dry sockets... I think it also may delay your healing process- just search around on the net for wisdom teeth and smoking and you'll find more info on this... but anyways I quit also because I hadn't been to the dentist in two years- and as a result had a lot of problems- needed two root canals, and a cleaning very badly, and also my gums were beginning to develop pockets a little deeper than normal. I got myself so freaked out that I had gum disease or something that I decided to quit (also I don't have dental insurance so I almost had to stop smoking just for financial reasons alone). But I am sooooooooo much happier having finally quit!!!!!! I would really encourage you to try- smoking does nothing for you but ruin your health (including your dental health), and take money out of your pocket! Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Jules

Old 04-03-2002, 05:12 PM   #8
    Kerry21
    (female)

Kerry21 HB User
    Unhappy

as you can see i didnt make a thread about my surgery. ive never been in so much pain in my entire life and its only been since yesterday that i got it done.. they couldnt get to the top tooth.. she didnt want to take the chance.. the percocets she gave me arent doing anything for me.. i dont know what to do.. im sorry i dont have a good story.. this time just didnt go right.. i dont get it.. she only did the bottom tooth and its worse then last year!!!

[This message has been edited by Kerry21 (edited 04-03-2002).]

Old 04-04-2002, 09:13 AM   #9
    richdizz

richdizz HB User
    Unhappy

I'm sorry to hear things did not go well. I wish you a quick recovery!

Old 04-06-2002, 06:35 AM   #10
    Kerry21
    (female)

Kerry21 HB User
    Wink

I am ok now!!! I didnt have great pain killers for the first 2 1/2 days.. Then i got some good stuff that helped me.. i am almost normal!! still a little swollen and sore but i feel so much better.. it was a rough one!! just a couple more days and this will all be over..

Old 04-06-2002, 06:38 AM   #11
    Kerry21
    (female)

Kerry21 HB User
    Wink

oops

[This message has been edited by Kerry21 (edited 04-06-2002).]

Old 04-07-2002, 08:04 AM   #12
    Jules211
    (female)

Jules211 HB User
    Talking

Kerry,

Good deal- hang in there! Imagine how nice it will feel to have everything over with soon!

Jules

Old 04-07-2002, 11:29 AM   #13
    Kerry21
    (female)

Kerry21 HB User
    i cannot wait!! i want food so bad.. like a huge steak or something!!

and i quit smoking.. FOR GOOD!!! im flipping out.. but im gonna do it!!

Closed Thread