It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• something about dentures!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2002, 03:39 PM   #1
    lala88

lala88 HB User
    Question something about dentures!

Ok wellllll im getting dentures in about 3 weeks. im really nervous! but i was wondering if anyone with dentures has ever had anything embarassing happen, like if they have ever fallen out or anything, i am scared of that happening.

Also, i was wondering if anyone had ever gone away, like to a camp or something, where you have to take your dentures out at night where there are other people besides your family. What i mean is im going to camp this summer for 6 weeks and i have to take my dentures out at night, where i will be sharing a bathroom with 6 people. i dont really want to take them out and leave them in the bathroom for everyone to see, but i cant think of anything else. I am only 15 years old, i know most of you who have dentures got them at a later age and maybe havent had to deal with the "camp" issue. If anyone has any suggestions..... i just dont want people laughing at me. or like stealing my teeth. the people at camp are really good freinds of mine so i am not really worried about that but i dont especially want the whole world knowing, "hey look at me i have dentures!" its easy to keep it a secret from my school friends, but in this case i dont know if its possible. ahhhh!!!

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2002, 02:15 PM   #2
    frostedflakes

frostedflakes HB User
    Lightbulb

do what you want who cares BOUT OTHER PPLS OPINIONS GO FOR IT

Old 04-30-2002, 11:04 AM   #3
    OssyKitty

OssyKitty HB User
    I don't take my dentures out at night. They are very comfortable and I rarely even notice that I have them. They have never fallen out, and no one can even tell I have them, in fact I often get compliments on my smile.

If you have to take them out, they have cases you can put them in. Then you can tuck the case in a discreet place, like under your pillow or in your toiletries bag.

Old 04-30-2002, 11:22 AM   #4
    ucfcsguywife
    (female)

ucfcsguywife HB User
    Talking

Last Thanksgiving my mom started choking on some turkey. She left the table and ran into the kitchen. My brother and I followed to see if she was okay. We followed behind her and as she was coughing her dentures fell out. She started laughing so hard that she kept choking. We had never really seen her dentured before but we always knew that she had them. We got to see them then.

Old 04-30-2002, 04:07 PM   #5
    lala88

lala88 HB User
    Ossykitty- i thought that dentures needed to be taken out for 8 hours a day, or something like that, or something would happen to the gums. I dont know for sure anything, i dont have my dentures yet, i will in like 2 and a half weeks. is is ok to just leave them in? that would be great!

Old 05-04-2002, 09:54 PM   #6
    OssyKitty

OssyKitty HB User
    lalala,

I'm sorry I didn't post sooner. I'm not a dentist, I only know that I don't have to take mine out. I only take them out to brush them. Your gums do shrink after your teeth are removed and I had to go in to get them relined after about six months. They had to send them out to "the lab". I went in at 8:00 am and didn't get them back until 5:00 PM. I took the day off work so no one would see me without my teeth. That is the only time my husband has seen me without my teeth.

I know this is a scary thing. I was so scared that I put it off until my teeth were just about to fall out. But it really wasn't as bad as I thought. And like I said, no one knows I have dentures. I'm really glad now because the pain and embarasement are gone.

Good luck and keep me posted,
    Shelly

Old 05-06-2002, 11:39 AM   #7
    lala88

lala88 HB User
    Smile

Ok well I had an appointment today with the person who is making the dentures and all that, and i am getting everything done at the end of May. I asked some questions, and my dentist (i dont know what his title is so i will call him dentist) said that i should take my dentures out most nights, to give the gums a breather. I am sorta excited.....kinda....im scared though. But my teeth will be pretty! hehe

Ossykitty- i was wondering also, do you use that adhesive to keep them in or will they stay? The dentist said my dentures can be held in by suction, but maybe thats not enough? i dunno. i just realllllly dont want my teeth to like fly out! oh boy..

Old 05-28-2002, 05:09 AM   #8
    nail_tech_vic

nail_tech_vic HB User
    OK You want to hear about strange things happening; here we go.
    I have a parchel plate on my bottom and I have them in and out all the time. One morning I couldn't find my teeth, they were on my head board, I had a appointment and I'm freaking out and can't find my teeth. LOOKING, LOOKING, LOOKING and were did I find them, IN MY DOGS BED. He didn't break them, He just LICKED them. YEK!?!

OK I'm driving down the road; and I take my teeth out and put them in my lap. When I get to the store, I forget they are in my lap and I get out of my car, AND MY TEETH FALL TO THE GROUND; INFRONT OF A LADY. I just laugh and said, I forgot I had them in my lap. (Glad it wasn't a good looking guy) ha,ha

When I first got them, I didn't like eating with them, so I'd take them out and put on my kitchen table while we ate. Well my family hated that, so now I put them under my leg, so no one will see them, ha ha

My aunt did the same with taking hers out all the time and lost them for a year. No teeth all winter. summer came and she found them in her drive way. NOT BROKEN!!! How meny cars must of went over them.
    SOOOOOOOOO Crazy things are going to happen; JUST LAUGH; THAT'S ALL YOU CAN DO.

Sometimes I just take them out and have them hafe way sticking out my mouth, JUST TO MAKE SOMEONE LAUGH.
    I know your 15; I'm 45 so take it from me and always keep a smile!

Closed Thread