It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Biting Bullet.....getting wisdom teeth removed-Thanksgiving!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2005, 07:06 AM   #1
    boxgirl73
    Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User
    Biting Bullet.....getting wisdom teeth removed-Thanksgiving!

Hi all......

i've been having some pressure in my face, jaw ache, ear ache, sore throat (just started last night), lightheadedness......and all probably due to my bottom wisdom teeth being half way up (have been for years) and now i'm going to have them removed...with all these symptoms lately, i just can't take it anymore......such a baby too....surprised i'm doing it! the top teeth haven't popped thru and i really think that it's my bottom that are the trouble makers. my one wt on the left side, is sore and around the cheek, jaw area, it's sore inside.....got the oral surgeon to schedule me next week for xrays (going out of town for this so that i know the surgeon...trust him-he's my brother's fiancee's employer...she had hers taken out from him and so did my brother without any issues.) he called in penicillin for me today sicne it's probably infected since it's very sore and puffy inside my mouth where the one tooth is.

my concerns are......
    -i'm being sedated, will they also use novacaine?
    -since both the bottom teeth are half way up (one normal, one sideways facing front), does that make it easier to extract?
    -if there's decay on my next molar beside my wisdom teeth, will they be able to fill that right then and there while i'm under?
    -is there any pain afterwards or will i be drugged up? i'm sure i'll be just so releived that i've done it and am thru with it at that point, that i won't feel any pain, BUT, i've never had a tooth pulled in my life!
    -how long am i supposed to not have anything to eat before the surgery? it will be thanksgiving the day before my surgery!

scared...
    thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
    boxgirl73
    Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User
    Re: Biting Bullet.....getting wisdom teeth removed-Thanksgiving!

anyone with reassuring experiences????? really could use some! will be nervous wreck until i'm out of that office!!!!!

Old 11-11-2005, 10:36 AM   #3
    ab123
    (female)

ab123 HB User

Hi Boxgirl!

Saw that no one posted so I thought I'd reply. I have mine removed many years ago and my husband just had his done 2 years ago. Although our teeth hadn't broken the surface so our surgery went a little different.

We had the gums cut and the teeth were "rolled out" as they explained it to me. I can't answer all of your questions, but can offer my experience.

I believe they tell you not to eat after 12 midnight the night before. You should be able to enjoy your Thanksgiving meal!!

Novacaine was used on me. When I woke up it didn't hurt at all. The only thing I noticed was all the gauze. And I was pretty out of it still.

Not sure if the oral surgeon will take care of the decay, if any. You might have to go back to the dentist for that.

Take your pain meds on time. And Tylenol PM helped me ALOT at night. If I can help further, holler!!

Amy

Old 11-12-2005, 09:10 AM   #4
    worldtraveler
    (female)

worldtraveler HB User

I wouldn't schedule any portraits or important appointments for a week afterwards (I know that sounds obvious, but I know someone who did and later regretted it). I had some mild pain and swelling for a few days afterwards, but after that, nothing at all.

Old 11-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #5
    dalaw123
    (male)

dalaw123 HB User

I hate to do this to you, but...

I definitely would reschedule until after Thanksgiving. I had just one (#17 ~ Bottom left), pulled on 11/4. It is now 11/12 and I still am not eating well. I have dry socket, and trust me, it is the worst thing ever. Hopefully, you will not have to suffer with it. I did everything they asked me to do, but apparently, my tooth didn't want to come out, so the surgeon wasn't surprised I ended up with the condition.

I wouldn't expect it to happen to you, but I also wouldn't expect you to be enjoying Thanksgiving Dinner the following day. I think having your wisdom teeth pulled is much like when women have children. When you are suffering through it, it is the most painful experience of your life, but when you look back on it, "It wasn't that bad." I'm going through it right now. I hope I can enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:10 AM   #6
    boxgirl73
    Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User

Thanks guys....

One clarification...I'm having them pulled the day AFTER thanksgiving. So, i do plan on enjoying turkey dinner

I'm so nervous....still haven't seen my xrays....getting them done on saturday (11/19) so I will know more then...and see how and if they are complicated. Hoping not....do have a sinus infection/cold now, so i may not even get them done if i'm still not feeling up to par......but that time would be ideal and i am already scheduled so it's best if i just go when i'm scheduled....so i don't back out

So, AB123, you were put out with an IV and given novacaine? i'm hoping that's what they do to me as well...I do know that i will be put out but i want the novacaine to double up. How long did it take yours to be taken out and how long for your husband's?

what were your symptoms and reasons for having them pulled?

thanks alot for responding...nice to be able to vent here

Old 11-14-2005, 10:03 AM   #7
    ab123
    (female)

ab123 HB User

Boxgirl,

I had mine out just because really. I was 19 and about to go off of my parent's insurance. I didn't actually need them out. I just did it just in case something happened where I wouldn't have insurance. I'm sure some people wouldn't agree with getting it done, but I thought it was smart.

Hubby had his out because of crowding and one had a cavity. Instead of filling it he just had his pulled. He had all four done and I belive it was about an hour.

I only had two, the bottom ones never formed. I don't really remember how long my surgery was.

I was put out with an IV. Like I said before, felt no pain when I woke up. After about an hour or so of being home, it did start to hurt. Just keep on top of the pain meds and you'll be fine.

You'll have puffy cheeks and may have some bruising on your cheeks. But that's normal.

My "last meal" before my teeth being pulled was a rack of ribs from a place here in Balto. that has great ones!!! Eat up on Thanksgiving!!!! Maybe keep some plain mashed potatoes for the next few days!!

Amy

Old 11-17-2005, 08:25 AM   #8
    boxgirl73
    Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User

thanks so much amy...you really have put me at ease./.....and that's a very hard thing to do!

thank YOU!!!!

Old 11-17-2005, 01:10 PM   #9
    Tattooall
    Inactive
    (female)

Tattooall HB User

Hi Boxgirl. Sorry to hear about your situation. I would love it if you would keep us posted once you have your wisdom teeth removed. I have been having headaches and sinus problems for a little while now. I was on medication for a sinus infection which did help but I still have headaches from time to time. I think it may be from cavities that I need filled (starting that next week). I do have all 4 widsom teeth, none are through and they don't hurt. I'm 21 by the way. I don't want to put myself through this surgery for no reason if I don't have to. I am terrified of dentist and anything medical. I would love to hear if your situation improves after having them out. It will give me something to consider. Best of luck to you, I totally sympathize with your feelings. *hugs* Enjoy your thanksgiving!

Old 11-17-2005, 02:30 PM   #10
    boxgirl73
    Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User

Thanks...I will keep you posted.

Old 11-17-2005, 05:17 PM   #11
    carltongal
    (female)

carltongal HB User

Boxgirl,

I had mine out this past summer, (2 top ones) and I had the IV sedation and numbing in my mouth, my teeth were not thru yet, and I think it took about 45 minutes but I dont really remeber, it seemed like maybe 5 minutes to me, lol, I found it helpful to get a baby toothbrush to use while recovering, because for me I felt the need to brush my teeth long before I could fit a normal sized toothbrush in, because I had a sore jaw. good luck, and enjoy your thanksgiving dinner!

Tattoogirl,

I am also 21 and had lots of sinus infections/problems and headaches for 2 years and finaly this summer while I had a headache I had a CT scan and they found that I had a cyst on one of my wisdom teeth (which was still in the gum) and I have had no sinus problems or major headaches since i've had my wisdom teeth removed, so maybe you have a similar problem

Carletongal

Old 11-17-2005, 08:05 PM   #12
    Tattooall
    Inactive
    (female)

Tattooall HB User

Wouldn't a cyst show on a dental x-ray?

Old 11-18-2005, 01:55 AM   #13
    wintersun
    Veteran
    (female)

wintersun HB User

Thinking of you as your surgery nighs. I had all 4 out one by one. I had a diff exp w/each. My top left was fine. My lower left was impacted so IV on that one- was fine. My lower right, my jaw hurt for about 3 days! And I could barely open my mouth. I'm a firm believer that it makes a difference by who's doing the pulling. Oral surgeons are the BEST, IMO. Good wishes..

Old 11-18-2005, 08:08 AM   #14
    boxgirl73
    Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User

yes, i'm going to have an oral surgeon do mine....getting xrays tomorrow...who knows, maybe i only have 2 (bottoms are only showing). i do have great recommedations for this surgeon....both my brother and soon to be sister in law had theirs pulled last year and were fine

thanks guys.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:14 AM   #15
    carltongal
    (female)

carltongal HB User

Tattoogirl

my cyst didnt show up on my dental xray, but i also didnt have a headache when i had the xray so the cyst wasnt full, it was just an empty sac around the tooth at the time
    carletongal

Closed Thread