It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Loss of tooth enamel due to glue on braces

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2003, 06:05 PM   #1
    T Lawrence

T Lawrence HB User
    Post Loss of tooth enamel due to glue on braces

My daugter is 25. She just found out she needs to front teeth (upper) crowned - due to the loss of enamel brought on my glue used on her braces 10-15 years ago.

Dentist said over next 10 years she probably will need all upper teeth crowned due to loss of enamel. She has always taken great care of her teeth. No cavities, fillings, etc. The loss of enamel on the 2 teeth makes them very sensitive to hot/cold/pressure.

Has anyone been through this?
    Is crowning the only solution?
    Are their alternatives that might be better?
    To say the least, the cost of $500+ per tooth is rather daunting.

Any ideas you have on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    TEL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2003, 06:26 AM   #2
    Piperdreams
    Inactive

Piperdreams HB User
    Hi:

Before starting an expensive construction in her mouth, I suggest you get a second opinion. In the mean time she needs to use her fronth teeth minimally if they are very sensitive. I have sensitive teeth too (due to bruxing and some enamel loss)and I hardly use my front teeth now. I have gotten incredible amount of pain relief ever since I started using a straw to drink beverages which includes tea, coffee, slurpies, juice, etc. I have been doing this for about six months and I use a sensitivity toothpaste (Crest sensitivity) which may also help your daughter's teeth. There is also a new sensitivity dentrifice (it is a high fluoride dentrifice) called "Gel-Kam" available at local pharmacies. It is costly ($9) but I decided to give it a try.

Hope this helps.

Piper

P.S. ACT fluoride rinse helps with the sensitivity too.

Old 01-14-2003, 11:13 AM   #3
    simmie

simmie HB User
    I have never had this problem, but do know someone who did. She had slight loss of enamel and then tremendous staining from the glue shortly after her braces were removed. Her dentist applied veneers over the teeth. I don't know if this is an option for your daughter, but it might be worth trying first (or at least looking into) if she has no other dental issues going on. Definitely go for a second opinion if the dentist is recommending a mouth full of crowns...

Sim

Closed Thread