It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• wisdom tooth extraction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2003, 08:26 AM   #1
    srlh

srlh HB User
    Post wisdom tooth extraction

I'm 25 and had my lower right wisdom tooth extracted on march 11th. Went to the dentist because of soreness/pain on my jaw and lower teeth and after taking xrays he said he felt sure that getting rid of the wisdom tooth would fix the problem. He started the procedure, then announced that it was more complicated than he thought, and after another shot of novacaine continued to work on extracting the tooth. At one point he stopped working, took another xray, left me sitting there for a few minutes, and then came back and started working on the area again. After many stitches he sent me home with gauze, and instructions for keeping it clean etc...

I was in pain for several days (and have not yet been without pain and/or soreness) and my jaw still feels like it's not normal (feels strained and sore and like it doesn't want to close or open properly).

I went back yesterday (march 18) for the stitches to be removed. It hurt a lot when the dentist flushed out the area and I mentioned this to him. He said that was normal, told me everything looked fine and to continue to rinse out the area with saltwater mix.

I'm not sure what is normal in the healing process of an extraction so I'd like to know:

#1 if my experience was relatively normal?

#2 if the uncomfortability of the jaw for a long period of time is normal?

#3 if ear pain/soreness and jaw soreness is normal (with some little pain in the neck/throat area?

#4 if the rest of the teeth on the same side as the extraction can be sore for a while?

#5 if it's normal to have a weird taste in the mouth sometimes - when waking up from sleeping, at some points during eating, etc...?

#6 should you be given antibiotics when the tooth is removed?

I'd appreciate any comments and/or suggestions (time frames for healing, better methods for cleaning the area, etc...).

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2003, 01:39 PM   #2
    919Florida

919Florida HB User
    I had my wisdome teeth out on Jan 31 and am 18 years old. I will try to answer some questions for you.

#1 if my experience was relatively normal?
    I don't know about this one.

#2 if the uncomfortability of the jaw for a long period of time is normal?
    My jaw hurt for about two weeks then it went away.

#3 if ear pain/soreness and jaw soreness is normal (with some little pain in the neck/throat area?
    I had that problem but it went away around the time when my jaw started feeling better.

#4 if the rest of the teeth on the same side as the extraction can be sore for a while?
    Yes. This bothered me to for awhile

#5 if it's normal to have a weird taste in the mouth sometimes - when waking up from sleeping, at some points during eating, etc...?
    Yes the weird taste is normal. I had that also.

#6 should you be given antibiotics when the tooth is removed?
    I was given antibiotics and so was everyone else I talked to. So I think yuo should.

Hope this helped some.

Old 03-24-2003, 10:44 PM   #3
    Jooner18
    (male)

Jooner18 HB User
    Srlh...

I may not be too much help, as I had a picture-perfect procedure. When they did mine (all 4 at once), they put me under, and the whole thing took like an hour. After that, they gave me hydro's and sent me on my way. From what I've been told, the experience is different for everybody. Sometime, they have to break the tooth up into little pieces and pull it out that way. If it takes that long to heal, I would say you should get some anti-biotics or something. I had no pain in my ears or anything like that either. My gums only hurt for about 4/5 hours, and my stitches all fell out on their own.

I know this didn't help too much, but it just goes to show that the experience is different for everybody.
    Josh

Old 03-28-2003, 10:54 AM   #4
    DonnaD

DonnaD HB User
    I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed this past summer, under general anesthesia. They were erupted (out of the gumline, just like my other teeth)as opposed to impacted (below the gumline, usually pointing in an odd direction). It took a surprisingly long time for me to be free of pain (3+ weeks), considering the procedure was considered a relatively easy one. Also, I developed a dry socket, which is a very painful condition, but it resolved itself on its own.

From my own experience, and the experiences of others I know, what you are experiencing sounds perfectly normal. Don't worry, you WILL feel better! Were you given any painkillers? I took Anaprox, which is the same as four Motrins. Excellent stuff!

I was not given any antibiotics, but then again, the dentist did not have to do much digging in my gums.

Please do call your dentist if you have any questions or are in usual pain. But soreness for weeks is normal.

Good luck!

Closed Thread