It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• 18 and TERRIFIED of Dentist and his 'Tools of Death'

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2003, 03:43 PM   #1
    KaNGaMaLoo
    (female)

KaNGaMaLoo HB User
    Post 18 and TERRIFIED of Dentist and his 'Tools of Death'

LoL! OK, so the subject is a bit extreme but I am!

Let me give you an idea of my dental history to begin with...

When I was little I had to have my baby/milk teeth removed in hospital. When my adult teeth finally came through they seemed OK - tidy shape, nice size, etc.
    One problem; I had discolouration.
    My first dentist (the one who i believed screwed everything up for me dental-wise) said that it was a result of having chicken pox when my teeth were developing.
    OK, I could live with that.
    At this time I also didn't look after my teeth very well (I was never encouraged - although that's no excuse!), and soon I began to get toothache etc. My dentist used to fill my teeth and stuff but they would still hurt.

I got a little older and needed to see an orthadontist - I had way too many teeth. They took a mold for a brace (but I never ended up needing one), and then tooth removal began. All were done with gas (which my mam hated), as I'm not exactly a fan of needles. The most recent I had removed was done by my second dentist and was done with a needle - I was numb so there was no pain, just my head being jerked a bit.
    I didn't mind my second dentist. He knew what he was doing. In fact, he had to remove all my old fillings to properly remove the bad stuff that my first dentist hadn't done. I'm terribly grateful for that. Also, i know have white fillings.

Anyway, while all this was gong on, I was visiting hospital for teeth whitening. The kind people there told me that my teeth discolouration was more likely due to either flouridosis (too much flouride as a child - apparently it happened to a lot of UK dentists children too, but I can't confirm that, LoL), or it's just 'how God wanted them to be'. Either way, I got sick of having them bleached, and so told them I'm happy with my teeth (it was all my parents idea anyway) and I'd rather them treat patients who are in pain rather than treat me for cosmetic reasons.

My teeth were doing pretty good.. until I started getting extreme sensitivity in one of my molars (or possible pre-molar) whenever anything even slightly cold touched it. So, my dentist had to remove the filling (in fact, all that's left of that tooth is tooth and silver filling now), and kill the nerve (or at least that's what I assumed he was doing when he said 'don't move coz you could get burned'). Anyway, he dressed it. When I had to go back (still in a dull pain and unable to brush my teeth with cold water and stuff) to have it re-dressed again I had to see another dentist. He was so lovely I switched to him - finally, a dentist who doesn't intimidate me!

Also, I think I got very scared of my second dentist when, after giving me an injection, told me to say if anything hurt when he drilled. Well, something did hurt, and I was nervous there ever since.

But anyway, my dentist now is brilliant. He probably thinks I'm such a weed coz I'm so terrified of what happens to my teeth!

Now, tomorrow, I have to have another filling. With injection. It's gotten to the point where it's not so much the injection anymore (coz that only lasts a few seconds) - it's the drill and drilly things. I'm glad it's getting done tomorrow - in fact, in 14hrs it'll all be over (I'm in the UK), but still.

I wanted to know, does anyone else feel like this? All nervous and edgy about the dentist? Hate the drill? Anything! And how do you cope (if indeed you do!)?

[sorry for the extra long post, LoL!]

Thanks!

Vicky xxx

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving definitely isn't for you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2003, 10:54 PM   #2
    tenntod

tenntod HB User
    Cool

Dear Vicky,

Bless your heart. 20 people have read your post and not one single reply yet!

I've spent many hours in a dentist chair during my lifetime, and no it certainly isn't much fun. I'm sorry you have a rough time getting nervous and stuff. However, please don't feel bad about it, because there are lot's of people who feel like you do.

I'm fortunate in that it really doesn't bother me. But I have a sister who has to take a sedative pill of some kind just to get her teeth cleaned.

Just try to focus on your breathing while the dentist is drilling. Deep breath as much as you can. In through your nose and out through your mouth. I know that sounds silly since the dentist is working in your mouth. But you can do it if you stay focused. It will help you relax. Another thing you can do to keep relaxed is place yourself in a favorite place of yours. Focus your mind on that place and stay there in you minds eye. It could be the beach, or a river, a park, or what ever place it is you like the best. That will help you keep your mind off of what's going on with the dentist. Good luck and please let us know how you do!

Tenntod

Old 05-20-2003, 08:19 PM   #3
    MrsKramden

MrsKramden HB User
    Hi KanGa ~

The above poster is so right.

I was born and raised in an upstate New York town which was one of the few to have flouride added to the water.Your info about floridated water caught my interest.Too much ? I drank water my whole childhood -never soda. My teeth are pretty white.

You do not have "too many teeth". I thought the same thing about myself until it was explained to me by a dentist that I have the normal amount of teeth, however, my jaw is not large enough to accommodate them, therefore they crowd.But you do have the normal amount of teeth in that situation. It's a genetic thing.

I was nervous but out-going this year when I tried a new dentist.I guess we are all fearful about different things. The tools they use do not bother me, nor does the needles.I recently had a root canal and felt that it was not worth the anxiety beforehand.

The above post is excellent in tips to alleviate anxiety. It helps if you have a good rapport withthe dentist, also. My dentist comes up with funny one-liners (jokes) while he is working on me to keep a light atmosphere-which is really great.

Old 05-21-2003, 06:16 AM   #4
    KaNGaMaLoo
    (female)

KaNGaMaLoo HB User
    LoL, no seriously - I've been told I have too many teeth (by orthadontists and dentists alike). There is one that they haven't removed (and I'm never letting them!) which is just on the inside of my bottom left molars. I look after it really well so they have no excuse. Heh.

I didn't have flouridated water - I had flouride supplements. Maybe it affects different people in different ways (like the ongoing debate as far as diets are concerned about how low-carb affects the body, etc.). Oh well. But either way, I'm not too concerend about that.
    They also suggested that chicken-pox may have caused it or just that that's the way my teeth are naturally.

I'm glad you had a new dentist that you feel more comfortable with. I think that is definitely one of the most important things!

To the poster above, thank you so much for your tips on how to calm myself down. I just get so anxious. I'm arachnophobic (sp?) and I don't know whether the dentist or spiders terrify me more!

Thank you both!

Vicky xxx

P.S. I had the filling done etc. and told my dentist that I just don't understand why my teeth are so icky. I told him how I look after my teeth (soft, small headed brush, floss, listerine mouthwash, etc.) and he said that I look after my teeth v.well so I may just have weaker teeth than others. Oh well, I'm determined - no more fillings!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving definitely isn't for you...

Closed Thread