It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Questions about Immediate Dentures

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2003, 09:31 PM   #1
    MMMarie
    (female)

MMMarie HB User
    Post Questions about Immediate Dentures

Hi. I hope no one minds me starting a new thread on immediate dentures, but the last one got so long and contained so much info that I'm just trying to sort it all out in my head. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

1. I'm trying to figure out (roughly, of course) what to expect in the first 6 months or so. Will it go something like this...

- soft reline at around one month
    - another soft reline around three months
    - hard reline (or rebase) around six months.

(BTW, my dentist did not mention (or use the terms) relines/rebases etc., but just said that I should expect to see him several times over the first 6 months or so for adjustments, etc.)

2. Is dental adhesive commonly used during the first 6 months, even when one is getting soft relines done? Once the hard reline (or rebase) is done, is it common to still have a need to use adhesives?

Or once the reline/rebase is done (and for the rest of the time that you have your plate), do people normally not need to use an adhesive. I always thought it was something used pretty much only when someone has had their dentures for wayyyyy too many years, yet not bothered to go in and get a whole new denture made. (BTW, what is the average life of a plate, anyhow? Anyone know? 5 years or so?)

3. How far back on the roof of your mouth does the upper plate usually sit? hmmmm Would the shape of the denture be something like ([ or more like a half circle (! I'm thinking it would be crescent shaped...but really, have no clue. I do worry about gagging, but wouldn't think that would happen if it only rests again the hard pallete, and doesn't at all cover the part where the roof starts to get soft and squishy.

4. How long should I expect to be eating mush (soup, pudding, ice cream) for? A month or so?

I'm also confused about permanent/immediate dentures. Because my dentist never mentioned anything about getting a new plate made, I'm assuming that my 'immediate' denture will be my 'permanent' denture.

Does anyone know of any active teeth messageboards? (Yos - I went to MSN but couldn't find a dental messageboard. And I hate the yahoo boards - I find them so much more difficult to use than this board.)

Thanks.
    Marie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2003, 05:43 AM   #2
    scaredstiff70

scaredstiff70 HB User
    Hi again MMMarie,
    I have had mine for one month now, so I can only speak up to this point.

I had my reline done yesterday...as you probably read.
    I was told I would need another in a month or so, depending on my own personal healing and prefrences.
    My dentist did not mention those specific terms either, she just said "call if you're uncomfortable and we will get you in same day". When I went in yesterday, I had to hold my dentures in with my fingers when I talked...they were soooo loose. The hygenist went to take them out, and they fell into her hand. She immediately told the dentist, who took a gander at my gums, and said "How would you like a soft-reline today?" My answer was an emphatic "YES PLEASE".
    It's pretty much an individual thing as far as relines. It depends on how much healing is occuring and how long it takes to reach that point where you will have little change over the course of many months. Yos will be at his 6 month mark in June...he's getting his hard reline then. I believe he's had two soft-relines...Yos, if I'm wrong, please correct me It just depends on the person's ind. healing time.

I have used adhesive since the 2nd week after surgery. Lots of it too. When it got to the point that I was having to use too much, I called for my appt. that I had yesterday, and had the reline done.
    Once the hard reline is done, I would think as long as the fit is a good one, there would be no need for adhesive unless the individual felt more comfortable with it for eating harder foods. From what I understand though, once that final reline is done, the fit should be perfect for quite some time to come. I still have to use it on my lowers because even with the reline, the lower gums are healing in some spots faster than others, causing the denture to sit high in some places. I don't mind though...as long as I can go on with my life, that's all that matters. Eventually, all these kinks will be worked out.

My palatte is shaped like a small ). There's not alot of curve to it, but just enough to keep it comfortable. It will feel weird at first, and you may think the sensation will never go away, but once you get the uppers, give it a good week before you decide they aren't fitting right in the back. I was like that too, and told the dentist about it at my 2-day follow up after surgery. She said to give it some more time, and if after a week it was still bothering me, call her. Well, it stopped bothering me about the 4th day, and it wasn't until my gums started really healing that I had to have adjustments made to the palatte. Once you get used to the upper you will know when the shrinkage is causing it to sit too far back in your mouth. You have to give your mouth time to adjust first...otherwise, you really won't know what "normal" is up there.

I ate soft foods with my uppers for about 2-3 days. I ate a hot dog (you can tell those are my favorite food..talk about them alot I do!) around the 6th day. It was cut very small, like what you would give to a baby, but I ate it. I was so proud of myself! But, then I had to get the lowers placed a week after the uppers, so it was back to mush food. Now, after a month, I am eating anything that can be cut up...I try not to bite down on hard things just yet. Even sticky things like bread will be hard to eat at first. Just take your time, and you will be fine. Slowly introduce new things into your diet until you're comfortable enough to move forward with more complex foods. It will take time and patience.

My immediate is my permanent. You always have the option of having another denture made, although the cost is quite high. You can have a rebase as well. I think that's what I will be doing instead of the hard reline. I want the maximum fit I can achieve without having a new denture made. BTW, I was told a new denture will be needed in about 5-10 years, depending on bone loss and whatnot. My father has had his for over 35 years and hasn't had any new ones made. He says he still has to use two hands to pop out his upper plate. Amazing huh?

Hope this helped a bit.

scaredstiff70

Old 05-23-2003, 11:02 AM   #3
    AusiJulie

AusiJulie HB User
    How much does a full set of dentures cost?

Old 05-23-2003, 12:43 PM   #4
    scaredstiff70

scaredstiff70 HB User
    Talking

For just the dentures alone, I paid $1130.00
    That price increases dramatically if you add in a full mouth extraction.

I am sure the prices vary a bit with the area you are in.

scaredstiff70

Old 05-23-2003, 03:23 PM   #5
    LSM101

LSM101 HB User
    I paid for my new dentures two weeks ago, $2800.00
    But well worth the cost. The CD was able to make
    significant changes to my face. . . and the dentures
    look great.

Old 05-23-2003, 04:59 PM   #6
    Yos

Yos HB User
    Hi MMMarie,

My dentist didn't use too many of those terms early in my treatment either. I guess I was on his learn as you go plan I'll try and answer your questions point by point but I would like to stress that everybody's experience is different. People heal and adapt differently, dentists prescribe treatments differently and some people experience complications that need special treatment.

1. Your reline/rebase timelines are generally correct but they will vary depending on how quickly or slowly the gums heal. I've read of people getting their first soft reline a week after extractions and some never having one done at all. You'll see your dentist most often in the first month for adjustments to deal with any sore spots or bad fit but after that it will likely be once a month or so to check for fit, bite and how the gums are healing. This is where I get to correct Scaredstiff I had 3 soft relines. The first at 3 weeks, the second at 2 months and the third at 3 months. At 6 months + 1 week (2 weeks from now) I'll be having a rebase done.

2. I haven't used any adhesive at all. In the first three weeks I put up with loose dentures because I didn't want to get the glue into the extraction sites. Once I had the soft reline I didn't feel a need to use adhesive. If I can help it, I'll have relines done over using glue. Glue is a time consuming mess that I prefer to avoid.

After the initial shrinkage from major extractions the gums continue to shrink albeit very slowly so the dentures will loosen eventually. I expect that I will probably need a soft reline within 6 months of the rebase and then maybe another rebase after a year. Dentists recommend that dentures be replace every 5 to 7 years. Between the teeth wearing down and gums continuing to shrink new dentures are an eventuality.

3. Mine is crescent shaped. The back edge of the denture is near where the palate softens. The back edge can be trimmed forward a bit if gagging is a problem. I've read of some people having such a bad gag reflex that they had the entire palate cut off and use glue to keep the denture in place.

4. You won't have to eat all mush. I managed semi-solid foods within a few days. Eggs, pastas, rice and other foods that really don't need to be chewed shouldn't be too difficult to master within a couple of weeks. You'll be amazed at how many foods you'll find that don't really need chewing .

All dentures are "permanent" dentures. "Immediate" dentures are hard relined or rebased to make them "permanent". Note that "immediate" dentures were never named "temporary" dentures. New dentures made after the immediate dentures are often a spare set or made of higher quality materials (cadilac vs chevy dentures). I plan on having new dentures made in a year or so but only when I can afford it and so that I have a spare set in case of an emergency.
    BTW, if you read stories about "Immediate" dentures being "not for biting food" or are "only cosmetic" they are spouting nonsense. All dentures are made to be functional.

I hope I've answered your questions. If you need any clarifications please ask. Good luck!

Yos

[Edited to remove website and letters suggestive of profanity.]

[This message has been edited by Well-come (edited 05-23-2003).]

Old 05-23-2003, 10:30 PM   #7
    msween

msween HB User
    Talking

Marie,

My timing for relines seems to be bery similar to Yos's. I had my first reline at 3 weeks and next week I go for my second, which will be 2 months. My dentist does things a little different though. He does not like to do the permanent rebase until after a year. Which is fine with me, because then the insurance for next year should cover alot of it. So I will be getting relines when I need them until that time. I am looking to the future to getting mini-implants for the lower denture for sure. I am scared about being 34 and having that lower bone resorb to the point that I won't be able to wear them anymore. So to enable me to maintain bone I have elected for the implants within five years. I might get them for the upper as well, I haven't decided on that yet.

I can't lie. This has been one of the hardest things that I have ever done in my life, but I will get through it. Just as I assume that you will get through it as well. You just have to take it one day at a time and you will be fine.

Good Luck to you

Mary

Old 05-24-2003, 01:05 AM   #8
    MMMarie
    (female)

MMMarie HB User
    Thumbs up

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the replies!

Ummmmmm, just a couple more questions. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif

Did any of you get stitches in every tooth? (sheeshhhh guess I should be saying in every empty socket)... I know, it's different for everyone, but just trying to get an idea of what could happen...

Is it possible to get dry socket even if the empty socket has been stitched? I guess I don't see how the blood clot could get out if the opening has been stitched.

And regarding gently rinsing your mouth with salt water.....isn't it risky taking the plate out several times a day so that you can rinse? I guess I worry about disloding the blood clots that form in each empty socket.

Novocaine - After being sedated, do they even bother to do the local freezing in your gums? Can't see that it would be necessary, but just wondering.....

Does anyone know how long it actually took for them to do the extractions?

I will be getting the IV sedation, and I've noticed several people here say that they absolutely want to be as sedated as possible. I'm the opposite.....I HATE the idea of them being in total control. I find that idea quite frightening, so I'm hoping (and will ask) that they will give me the smallest amount necessary in my IV.

Thanks again, you guys. You're terrific.

Old 05-24-2003, 01:16 AM   #9
    MMMarie
    (female)

MMMarie HB User
    p.s. to Mary - I am scared about being 34 and having that lower bone resorb to the point that I won't be able to wear them anymore.

I'm not sure what you mean... Are you saying that after someone has all their teeth pulled and then gets dentures, that the bone loss is eventually so great that the day will come when you can't even wear dentures anymore? (hmmmm I could be wayyyy off on that... but is that what you mean? It's really late here so maybe I'm just confused.)

I've thought about implants, but am really hoping that I will be very very very happy (eventually) with the upper denture. The idea of them screwing stuff into my jaw/gums makes me feel kinda squeamish.

Old 05-24-2003, 08:26 AM   #10
    scaredstiff70

scaredstiff70 HB User
    Talking

Hi MMMarie,
    Thought I'd try to answer some of your questions...

I did have stitches in every socket, and they did give me quite a funky taste in the mouth when I took my dentures out to rinse/clean my mouth and brush the dentures...just a warning for ya...the taste with stitches isn't exactly good. It's nice to know that they only last about 7-10 days, at least mine did.
    I didn't have any trouble with dry sockets, and I think it was a combo of having stitches and immediates together. I do smoke, and I did smoke after my surgery, so I was prime for dry sockets, but didn't get them. I suppose everyone is different. The stitches help to hold the tissue together for a while, and it's during that time when you are most suseptible to dry sockets. After about 5 days, it's unlikely that you will dislodge the clots...at least that's what I've been told by my oral surgoen.

I took my dentures out 3 times a day for the first 2 weeks and rinsed with salt water. I was afraid of that very thing...dislodging clots. But, I never had a problem with it. I was very gentle taking them out and didn't rinse with alot of force. With the uppers, the suction is coming from your palette, so there's a small chance you will pull your clots out when releasing that suction.

I was given a good deal of Lidocaine even with being orally sedated. I was numb for about 4 hours after surgery. Don't know if that's the norm, but, it seemed ok to me...less pain is always good.

My first extraction appt. took from 3:30PM until about 7:30. I was supposed to have the lowers done too, but it wasn't happening that day. The lower extraction appt. took from 10AM to 12:30PM...not bad at all.

As for being sedated, I can only speak on oral sedation, and don't know how that compares to IV. I was responsive but had no clue what was going on. I find it very cool that so much work (painful work) can be done with no pain and no memory of it at all. They are trained to give you the right amount of the drug so you will be as comfortable as possible. I understand you not wanting someone else to be in total control, but, here's what happened to me and maybe it will set your mind at ease...assuming you have complete trust in your surgeon/dentist:
    My uppers came out fine, no pain, no problems.
    They gave me some juice to "wake" me to use the restroom (with my hubby's help of course), and the juice didn't like my tummy...it ALL came back up. They tried again to sedate me, and I held the pill down for about 15 minutes. They started on my lowers, but I started flinching and moving around alot (according to them), so they took it upon themselves to stop the surgery and reschedule my lower extractions. They could have very easily gone ahead with it, and I would have never known...as I didn't know I was flinching or moving. They decided to send me home anyway...a move I completely agree with now that I know the whole story of why they didn't proceed.
    I guess my moral here is that if you are sedated as little as possible, you may remember and you may feel pain...which is exactly why people get sedated in the first place...to NOT feel or remember. I wouldn't personally want to take that chance, but again, everyone is different. If you trust your surgeon/dentist, why are you so reluctant? I ask because you are paying (most likely) a good deal of money to be sedated...why not reap the full benefit of it? (I'm not trying to sound judgemental, so please don't take this as a stab...I am just very curious to know what it is that's causing you to be so apprehensive).

I hope all goes well for you....and I hope I haven't stepped on any toes...I really don't mean any harm.

All my best....

scaredstiff70

Old 05-24-2003, 12:02 PM   #11
    MMMarie
    (female)

MMMarie HB User
    Darn......aaaahhhhhhhhhhh, my toes........ouch, ouch! (Just kidding, scaredstiff. lolol)

Honestly??? I really have NO clue. Seems to just be a weird quirk of mine. I'm the same way with pain medications ----- very reluctant. I'm in my 40s and in my whole life, I have only ever taken 2 tylenol-3's (and that was when I had just had my son). I know - I'm very odd that way. Needless to say, I'm really hoping that I'm not terribly sore or in huge pain after the extractions. Sheesshhhhhhh.....wonder if there's a group out there somewhere to help people like me. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif {Come on......just take it. You can do it.} Kinda like the opposite of NA perhaps? lol

Wow - Your upper extractions took a long time! 4 hours? yikes. I was thinking maybe an hour or two.

Hmmmmm. Mine will probably be less, because I'm already missing a couple of teeth. Let's see.....on the top, I'm thinking most people have 2 wisdom teeth, 4 molars, 2 front teeth, and then 8 others. Does that sound right?

I only have 2 molars (and no wisdom teeth), the front 2, and the other 8. So only 12 up top (instead of 16).

Thanks again, ss. Gotta go put an icepack on my toes now.

Old 05-24-2003, 02:55 PM   #12
    Cutler

Cutler HB User
    Hi MMMarie,

My extractions were done under IV sedation. I had 26 teeth (or what was left of them) pulled and two leftover teeth had fillings and scaling done. It took about two and a half hours.

Cutler

Old 05-24-2003, 04:08 PM   #13
    scaredstiff70

scaredstiff70 HB User
    Talking

Hi Marie,
    I am sorry if I offended...really didn't mean to.

I think the reason my uppers took so long was because they did some major cleaning/scaling and also something about reshaping my gums up there. I know the oral surgeon stated that the wosdom teeth were deeply impacted into the bone, so that alone could account for alot of time. As I said, the bottoms were only about 2 hours and I did have an impacted wisdom down there as well...it was a tricky extraction..that area is still tender to this day, but has gotten better.

I am the same when it comes to pain killers, too. I refused to take any of the narcotics after my surgery, and instead took 2 Advil and 2 Tylenol if the pain was real bad. Mostly just relied on Advil for the first few days and then Tylenol for any inflammation after that. I hated the idea of any narcotics in my system. They make me feel awful, and if I can get by with OTC things, I will take that route everytime. Even with my babies, I took nothing for the pain during, and after delivery, I took Tylenol. I just wasn't having anything in my system...don't like the idea at all.

I hope your appt. goes well, and please let us all know how you did, ok? I'm looking forward to hearing how your sedation went and how the IV differs from oral, if it does.

All my best,
    scaredstiff70

Old 05-27-2003, 01:38 AM   #14
    MMMarie
    (female)

MMMarie HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by scaredstiff70:
    Hi Marie,.......I think the reason my uppers took so long was because they did some major cleaning/scaling and also something about reshaping my gums up there...... I hope your appt. goes well, and please let us all know how you did, ok? I'm looking forward to hearing how your sedation went and how the IV differs from oral, if it does.
    Thanks for your reply, ss. Odd that they spent time cleaning and scaling when they were just going to pull the teeth anyhow. (hmmmm ...maybe it's just wayyyy to late for me to be responding to messages and I'm just confused.) http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

I sure wish I didn't have to wait so long to get my teeth done. (June 19) And yes, I'll certainly be posting all about my (gulp) dental surgery. Thanks again.

Old 05-27-2003, 01:42 AM   #15
    MMMarie
    (female)

MMMarie HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Cutler:
    Hi MMMarie,
    My extractions were done under IV sedation. I had 26 teeth (or what was left of them) pulled and two leftover teeth had fillings and scaling done. It took about two and a half hours. Cutler
    Cutler - When you had the IV sedation, were you still aware of (but just didn't care about) what was going on? I assume it felt like it only took a few minutes (because of the IV sedation) and that you weren't put totally out?

Thanks for the reply, Cutler.

Closed Thread