It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Wisdom Tooth Extraction/ Fear --Thanks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2003, 06:40 PM   #1
    exentrik

exentrik HB User
    Post Wisdom Tooth Extraction/ Fear --Thanks

Hey guys...newbie to the board (a problem with my IP kept me from registering... but got that cleared up), but I found this board about two months ago. Just wanted to repay what I got from this board, and hopefully help someone else out that may have been in a similar situation.

I'm 24, and had bad experiences with dentists when I was younger... some not-so-friendly assistants. That, combined with parents that weren't as persistant with making me go regularly and leaving for college allowed me to avoid the dentist for several years.

It had developed into a sort of phobia you could say... even the thought of going to a dentist made me sick to my stomach. Because it had been several years since I had visited the dentist, my fears were compounded by my lack of checkups; I was sure that my teeth must have been in terrible shape, and I feared the absolute worst.

Well, during that period I had let my wisdom teeth grow in. Very painful for many of us that have gone through it. There were days I didn't even feel like talking. They came in a little crooked because of a lack of room, and were angled so that I regularly bit the sides of my mouth during chewing.

Finally, I woke up one day and decided that I should just start looking into making an appointment, before dental problems just got too out of hand. Got online, as it was my only real source to find out information about dentists, phobias, extractions and other procedures.

I ran into this board, and I can easily say it gave me the strength to go ahead make my appointment and go through with any necessary procedures.

Had my x-rays and an examination on my first visit. The dentist was shocked at how few problems I had despite my lack of visitation, so anyone with a fear should take comfort in knowing that ithe report is probably not going to be as bad as we fear. I even "volunteered" to have the wisdom teeth extracted as she said it wasn't absolutely NECESSARY (but I knew the trouble they were giving me).

I came back on the board after making my extraction decision, and went through a wisdom tooth thread or two from people in an identical situation. Extremely helpful. Want to thank those of you who posted in that thread with regular updates before and after the procedure. Haha, I believe I was actually in exact sync with one board member who got his/hers pulled on the exact same day I did.

The extraction was very easy for those of you searching for reassurance. They knocked me out before I felt a thing. Never had a surgery before, never been knocked out. I just woke up from what felt like a ten second nap, and they were finished. The hardest part for me was actually not being able to eat properly for about 5 days. I took the advice of another member and loaded up on mashed potatoes and gravy!!!

Side Note: For those of you with weight problems... I highly suggest this procedure, because I lost about 10 pounds total at the end of two weeks,and I'm a pretty "lean" guy... the potential is limitless! ; )

Anyway... still have some moderate holes in my gums, but other than that, no traces or ill effects from the surgery. I hope if anyone has any specific fears or detailed questions, they will post under here, and I will be more than happy to reply with my personal experiences.

Thanks to everyone that has posted here before... especially dealing with wisdom tooth extractions. I apologize for not having exact screen names... but if you know you posted in those threads (about two months ago) I'd love to hear from you guys!

I know it's long for an opening thread, but I've had a lot of gratitude the last two months I wasn't able to express, and as I mentioned... I'd love to help someone else. I also hope this thread doesn't come across as all too self-centered or anything... I just feel that it helped me to hear personal stories shared that I could relate to, and perhaps this "success story" will help to balance out some of the "I have a problem" threads a board like this seems to draw.

Now... it's onto braces options, to fix a little crowding my wisdom teeth caused. So braces/ invisalign thread posters... here I come!

Nick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2003, 09:26 PM   #2
    919Florida

919Florida HB User
    What a great story Nick. Glad everything went well for you. I got my wisdom teeth out on january 30. I was scarred to death of the operation but like you this board helped me through it. I am so happy it is all over with now.

You may have read my threads with my fears then my post operation updates.

Good luck with your braces. I have had those before to.

Old 06-17-2003, 03:21 PM   #3
    exentrik

exentrik HB User
    Hey 919Florida-

Hahaha... yeah, I think I remember some of your posts.. along with Hezza and Kerry21 I think.

Actually... it might have even been you that said something I have thought of often when people have asked how it went afterwards... something along the lines of "i wouldn't mind doing it again if i had to"!!!

Good to hear from you... and thanks again!

Closed Thread