It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Tongue sore/tooth scraping

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2003, 06:43 PM   #1
    Percokitty
    Inactive

Percokitty HB User
    Post Tongue sore/tooth scraping

Hi,
    I have an unusual problem (for years actually) that I talked about w/ my dentist actually today.

My tongue is drawn to an area of my mouth where I have a bridge (2 root canals with a fake tooth in between). Some poor work by a dentist years ago, did a bad root canal which caused one of the teeth to crack in half and the next on had to be removed. I finally got a bridge years later.

Anyway, I feel the need to put pressure against this tooth/gum area of my mouth; and so by the end of the day, my tongue is very sore (the muscles and tissue) and I feel tension from doing so.

I also feel the sensation of there being a big hole on that side of my mouth probably because I've lost bone there over the years...and well it's hard to explain.

I often chew gum, because gum over the entire area helpe me put pressure on the area; when I recently put a plastic teeth whitening thing in my mouth; I noticed when that area was covered to the gum, that the need to do this stopped. Sometiimes I'll take a toothpick at night, and play with the teeth/gum in that area so I can relax??

So, I thought If I could put a partial guard there during the day, perhaps? My tongue relaxes at night, and is fine in the morning. This problem also affects my speech because my tongue is too sore to talk properly!

Anyone else ever had problems with old root canal work, bridges, and sensations where they felt they had to put pressure on the area?

Kitty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2003, 08:40 PM   #2
    Been there done that

Been there done that HB User
    Hi Kitty,

Yes, that happened to me. My suggestion is that you go get an evaluation from a periodontist. I had the same problem and it was getting worse. I kept unconsciously pressing the area with my tongue, it just felt weird, empty, almost itchy or as if something was stuck under my gumline like a small seed and I wanted it out.

After an evaluation with my periodontist I had the quadrant scaled and then had a bone transplant to the area of the missing tooth. After this procedure, just a little extra gum care is required and it's no longer sensitive.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-30-2003, 10:12 PM   #3
    Percokitty
    Inactive

Percokitty HB User
    Been there....

Thank you. It sounds as if you understand what I am talking about !!!

What you did sounds very expensive. Was it? What does a bone transplant involve? And why I wonder didn't my dentist suggest evaluation by a periodontist....

Any help would be appreciated...

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kitty

Closed Thread