It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Confused and Scared--Denture advice, please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2002, 08:09 PM   #1
    Shiloh

Shiloh HB User
    Unhappy Confused and Scared--Denture advice, please

Hello

After a vast internet search with no real answers, I've come here in hopes of finding some good advice. Actually, at this point, I'd be happy with any advice anyone would be so kind to offer.

First of all, I'm a 27 year old female, and my teeth are an absolute nightmare. I've taken care of them almost obsessively, to no avail. My father's family all lost their teeth at a young age, and I think I assumed if I babied mine, they'd be nice to me. No such luck! For the last year and a half, I've been having my upper teeth literally crumble and break off right before my eyes. Sadly, the teeth visible in the front were the first to go.

I went to dentist after dentist before they started crumbling in attempt to do something to fix them, and stopped short of having 9 root canals with matching crowns. (I have a chronic illness and can't work-still awaiting disability hearing, so I can't afford all of that. Believe me, if I could, I would've done it.) Finally, I found a dentist who told me that even if I had the root canals and crowns, they were going to go in the long run because they're deteriorating faster than they can be fixed. He said the procedures will only weaken my already weak teeth. He also vetoed a bridge another dentist suggested for the same reason. I could see how quickly my teeth were deteriorating, so I assumed he was right. I then assumed the other dentists were just out for money I didn't have anyway.

He suggested I have my remaining upper teeth extracted, and have a full upper denture put in. After much trauma and heavy depression about the situation in general, I decided that may be the best idea. --Especially since I wasn't leaving the house due to my appearance. However, I still couldn't afford to have the extractions and the denture put in. My insurance only pays $1200 per year.

--That was in March. It is now November, and because I know my insurance will roll over sometime around the end of December/early January--I've made an appointment with an oral surgeon to get things going.

When I called, I was asked whether I want a conventional or immediate denture, and now I'm confused all over again. I've spent the night reading everything I can find on immediate dentures, and I'm still not quite convinced either way.

While I would very much love to end this trauma of being toothless, I also want to be practical. Obviously, money is a huge issue, so I'm hoping to make the correct decision financially. Those things lead me to believe a conventional denture would be best for me because it will give my gums a chance to heal, and therefore, the denture will fit more properly than a immediate denture would.

However--I'm having these awful thoughts of my denture slipping while I'm talking, etc. I know I'm being petty, but this is really bothering me, so I'm trying to figure out what will fit the best.

I was told a relative had immediate dentures, and her fit was so tight that she even had trouble removing them. --I was quite happy to hear that. However, from what I've read on the internet, it doesn't seem to be the case. I'd love to hear from anyone who's had experience with an immediate denture. Do they actually fit better, or was this dumb luck?

I won't be able to afford a second denture for at least a few years, so I'm concerned about taking a chance with an immediate, then my dentist telling me I need a new one due to structure changes. --It just won't be possible.

My dentist has told me that if I do decide to get a conventional denture, I will have to wait at least two months for my gums to heal after the extraction before I can get my denture. Is this true in anyone's experience? I suppose if I've lived this long without teeth, I can go a little longer--it's the psychological issue I'm trying to end, I guess.

Also-if there is any advice anyone can give me about what makes a denture look more natural, I'd appreciate it. Are there different types which look more natural? I'm pretty much wandering around in the dark here, and I tend to get so upset while at the dentist, that I don't really hear much of anything he's saying.

Sheesh--it's amazing how traumatizing such little things as teeth can be.

I'm sorry this has been so long-winded, but perhaps it was half emotional release/half advice needed. I thank you for listening.

--Shiloh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2002, 02:25 PM   #2
    beannharley

beannharley HB User
    i am in the same boat as you i am 26 and teeth are just falling out here is a great site you could check out they are really helpful with ? about dentures if they dont know the answer they usually find out for ya.
    hope this helps out.

[Posting Policy: No Free Advertising, whether or not you benefit.

It will not be considered free advertising for consumers to discuss products by brand name or to post links to .*** and .gov websites for information and reference.

Other websites or business information are not to
    be posted on these message boards.

Thanks for your cooperation - Well-come Moderator]

[This message has been edited by Well-come (edited 11-15-2002).]

Old 11-14-2002, 04:02 PM   #3
    Shiloh

Shiloh HB User

Thanks so much for responding--I really appreciate it. As much as it's nice to know I'm not alone, I hated to hear that you're going through the same thing. It's an awful experience when you're so young, and I'm so sorry to hear you're having the same problem. I will check out what you've given me--thanks.

I wish you the best.

--Shiloh

Old 08-23-2003, 04:15 AM   #4
    Toothless Wonder

Toothless Wonder HB User
    Hi

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I am 35 years old and had really bad teeth. I therefore chose to have all my teeth extracted and decided to wait the four months my dentist advised it would take for my gums to heal as I wasn't that sold on immediate dentures that would have to be replaced in the short term anyway. It's two months later after the extraction and I am really glad I decided to get my teeth pulled. I no longer suffer any pain. It is a bit of a bother not being with any teeth but I know the advantages of wearing dentures will far outway any of the problems I had with my natural teeth. My husband really likes me without my teeth and seems to think I look really cute without any teeth. My friends and family soon got used to my toothless state and really helped me to feel less self conscious about the whole thing. My speech has been negatively affected with every S coming out as an SSHH and so on, but I have found a way to allow my gums and lips to make up for the loss of teeth. My gums have healed nicely and have rounded sufficiently to soon be fitted with permanent dentures which I am looking forward to.

Go for the procedure you feel most comfortable with. I chose to go the traditional route of extraction followed by waiting for the gums to heal and am really happy with my choice.

Old 08-24-2003, 03:58 PM   #5
    rileysmom24

rileysmom24 HB User
    Hi Shilo,

I am 25 and i am now 11 days post op with my new immediate denture. I had a full upper extraction because my teeth were like yours. I had 4 roots canal little over a year ago and here i am just getting them all pulled. I will have to be honest and tell you this is the worst pain i have ever went through. I know that long term it will be worth it though because i will have a great smile. The first few days were the worst for me i think this was due to the stiches, i think the oral surgeon tied them to tight. AFter i cut them out on my own i felt immediate releif. The only problem i have had w/ my immediate denture would be the sore spots but once they are adjusted it is better. I have had one adjustment and im going back tomarow to get another one. For me the immediate denture was the way to go, there was no way i could even leave my house without my teeth! lol. My immediate cost 275 it was well worth it since iam a full time colege student and a mom of three. Hope this info helps! Good luck!
    Rileys

Old 08-31-2003, 11:37 AM   #6
    dorkasaurus

dorkasaurus HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by beannharley:
    i am in the same boat as you i am 26 and teeth are just falling out here is a great site you could check out they are really helpful with ? about dentures if they dont know the answer they usually find out for ya.
    hope this helps out.

[Posting Policy: No Free Advertising, whether or not you benefit.
    I would be very curious to know how or why your teeth started crumbling or falling out. I had the same thing due to an on going infection in the overall bone structure.
    It will not be considered free advertising for consumers to discuss products by brand name or to post links to .*** and .gov websites for information and reference.

Other websites or business information are not to
    be posted on these message boards.

Thanks for your cooperation - Well-come Moderator]

[This message has been edited by Well-come (edited 11-15-2002).]

Old 08-31-2003, 12:13 PM   #7
    dorkasaurus

dorkasaurus HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Shiloh:
    Hello

After a vast internet search with no real answers, I've come here in hopes of finding some good advice. Actually, at this point, I'd be happy with any advice anyone would be so kind to offer.

First of all, I'm a 27 year old female, and my teeth are an absolute nightmare. I've taken care of them almost obsessively, to no avail. My father's family all lost their teeth at a young age, and I think I assumed if I babied mine, they'd be nice to me. No such luck! For the last year and a half, I've been having my upper teeth literally crumble and break off right before my eyes. Sadly, the teeth visible in the front were the first to go.

I went to dentist after dentist before they started crumbling in attempt to do something to fix them, and stopped short of having 9 root canals with matching crowns. (I have a chronic illness and can't work-still awaiting disability hearing, so I can't afford all of that. Believe me, if I could, I would've done it.) Finally, I found a dentist who told me that even if I had the root canals and crowns, they were going to go in the long run because they're deteriorating faster than they can be fixed. He said the procedures will only weaken my already weak teeth. He also vetoed a bridge another dentist suggested for the same reason. I could see how quickly my teeth were deteriorating, so I assumed he was right. I then assumed the other dentists were just out for money I didn't have anyway.

He suggested I have my remaining upper teeth extracted, and have a full upper denture put in. After much trauma and heavy depression about the situation in general, I decided that may be the best idea. --Especially since I wasn't leaving the house due to my appearance. However, I still couldn't afford to have the extractions and the denture put in. My insurance only pays $1200 per year.

--That was in March. It is now November, and because I know my insurance will roll over sometime around the end of December/early January--I've made an appointment with an oral surgeon to get things going.

When I called, I was asked whether I want a conventional or immediate denture, and now I'm confused all over again. I've spent the night reading everything I can find on immediate dentures, and I'm still not quite convinced either way.

While I would very much love to end this trauma of being toothless, I also want to be practical. Obviously, money is a huge issue, so I'm hoping to make the correct decision financially. Those things lead me to believe a conventional denture would be best for me because it will give my gums a chance to heal, and therefore, the denture will fit more properly than a immediate denture would.

However--I'm having these awful thoughts of my denture slipping while I'm talking, etc. I know I'm being petty, but this is really bothering me, so I'm trying to figure out what will fit the best.

I was told a relative had immediate dentures, and her fit was so tight that she even had trouble removing them. --I was quite happy to hear that. However, from what I've read on the internet, it doesn't seem to be the case. I'd love to hear from anyone who's had experience with an immediate denture. Do they actually fit better, or was this dumb luck?

I won't be able to afford a second denture for at least a few years, so I'm concerned about taking a chance with an immediate, then my dentist telling me I need a new one due to structure changes. --It just won't be possible.

My dentist has told me that if I do decide to get a conventional denture, I will have to wait at least two months for my gums to heal after the extraction before I can get my denture. Is this true in anyone's experience? I suppose if I've lived this long without teeth, I can go a little longer--it's the psychological issue I'm trying to end, I guess.

Also-if there is any advice anyone can give me about what makes a denture look more natural, I'd appreciate it. Are there different types which look more natural? I'm pretty much wandering around in the dark here, and I tend to get so upset while at the dentist, that I don't really hear much of anything he's saying.

Sheesh--it's amazing how traumatizing such little things as teeth can be.

I'm sorry this has been so long-winded, but perhaps it was half emotional release/half advice needed. I thank you for listening.

--Shiloh
    Honey, you don't need to apologize, anyone who has dealt with this situation can sympathize. It can be very difficult to get used to wearing false teeth. (I hate the word denture, sound like I'm 80). My teeth were pulled and I wore flippers for a while I think 'till my gums healed. But I have existing teeth that they fit around.If there is any way to save any teeth that will provide some support for a partial, overdenture or denture, get the root canals and try to save them. There are so many options now adays if you have say, your 2 or 4 canines or eye teeth intact there are more options. Implants or a clasping device called the "dolder bar" which is what I have, is one of the best inventions that works if you can keep certain teeth intact. If the bone is good around those teeth that is a huge difference in losing them or not. How is the bone structure? Take it from me. You cannot go back and change time. The choices you are making or letting a dentist make for you are permanent. Do yourself a big favor before(if you haven't already)you get your teeth pulled, find the money and go to another oral surgeon for a second opinion, on the condition of the bone structure and the teeth that can possibly be saved. Also there is someone called a Prosthiadontist. (may be spelled wrong)who specializes in oral prosthetics. either way if your teeth don't fit right at first you'll have to keep going back to have 'adjustments' Basically just taking a nip here and there to make them more comfortable for spots that hurt.And if they are too big or become too big as things shrink down, you can get a 'reline'. See if you can get something when they pull the teeth that is a temporary. They are much cheaper than an actual plate, these are made of light plastic. Then for future use if you have to get relines you don't have to go toothless. TIP Unless your gums and structure are in great shape you will almost certainly have to some day have a relining. Ask for sure about a temporary and then the actual plate later on. I know money is hard to get, but it will be well worth it. You'll get it right sooner or later. Depends really on how good the lab that makes them is. But just have patience and you will get used to them. Sometimes, especially in a case like yours, oral surgeons will do a free consultation. Just give you his opinion. Look for one. Good luck and best wishes to you honey. I feel for ya.

Closed Thread