It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Dental Implants

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
    eye_4_got
    (female)

eye_4_got HB User
    Dental Implants

This is my story. I had to have a root canal and cap on a the tooth that is right in front of my large molars (it is tooth number 18, I think). Since it was not a large molar with 4 roots I had to have a post put in in order to hold the cap. Long story short - post loosened up & cracked the tooth. Tooth was removed and a permanent bridge was installed that spans the teeth on either side of the space.

So this is my problem. One of the teeth that was holding the bridge in place has broken and is rotting underneath the bridge that was cemented on top of it. I was told I could have a removeable bridge put in but that since I am 40 the dentist considered me "too young". He suggested a dental implant instead. It would involve removing the bad tooth and putting a post in on either side of the now two missing teeth. They would then cement in a permanent bridge.

I was told the entire process takes about 4 months because you have to let the jaw heal. What I would like to know is if anyone has had implants and what impression is of them? How was the healing process? Would you do it again? It is going to cost me several thousand dollars to do this (insurance only covers it partially because it is considered "cosmetic" compared to a removeable bridge).

Any info. would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2005, 01:10 PM   #2
    anitak1982
    Veteran
    (female)

anitak1982 HB User
    Re: Dental Implants

Oh yes I can give you my story. The easiest way will be for you to read these posts.
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=286090[/url]
    which is the beginning of my journey.

And the finish of my journey
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=334375[/url]

There are other posts if you do a search for my name. I have been active discussing this for a while now.

Anita

Last edited by anitak1982; 12-16-2005 at 01:11 PM.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
    eye_4_got
    (female)

eye_4_got HB User
    Re: Dental Implants

Wow! What an inspiring story. I was feeling so sorry for myself when all of this happened. Much of this could have been prevented if I did not always put off going to the dentist and some of it is genetic (weak teeth run in my family). But your story has given me a different outlook.

My biggest fear is that the temporary "flipper" will look funny. I work with small children and they are always so honest about how you look. I think as long as I can scrape together the money implants might be the way to go.

Closed Thread