HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Dental Health (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/)
-   -   White coated tongue and it STINKS! (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/dental-health/34995-white-coated-tongue-stinks.html)

Louise2 09-01-2003 01:42 AM

White coated tongue and it STINKS!

I have tried almost everything that i can think of. I use a tongue scraper but it only helps for 5 mins, then the stench returns. I am 32 and have had this problem since i can ever remember. I can rember being 8 or 9 years old, and kids commenting on this problem. Its so embarrasing, I can not live life to the fullest because of this. After reading this forum, I have decided to give peroxide a go, thats something that I have not tried. Although I do not hold much faith that it will work for me.
Id really like to get in touch with others that have the same problem. I feel so lonley. Its ruined so much of my life and also so many relationships that I have held. I have become a bit of a hermit, and only feel safe in my own home where can relax.

cattys 09-01-2003 04:46 PM

Have you ever been to a dentist for this problem? Maybe it is some kind of yeast that needs treatment.

Good luck

Louise2 09-01-2003 07:22 PM

thankyou Catty, yes I have asked Dentists/Doctors ect. No one can give me a solution that makes it any better. Its nota yeast problem, as i have tried cutting out ALL yeast ect in my diet. It doesnt help at all.
I have tried Nilstat and so many mouthwashes. I have had my breath measured ina breath o meter machine, was sold $200 worth of products that again did nothing.

I just bought some peroxide, have just used it and yes most of the coating has gone, I havent seen my tongue this pink EVER! But I have a feeling that the coating will soon return. I can slowley feel that bad breath taste returning already and its only been 5 mins since I used the peroxide.

rileysmom24 09-01-2003 09:06 PM

Could this be something like thrush?

Louise2 09-01-2003 11:50 PM

I wish it was thrush, that is easy to get rid of. I have tried all type's of thrush oral gels, and they did nothing at all.

Since this morning I have used the peroxide twice. It does seem to help, as I said i have NEVER seen my tongue look so pink before.

I guess in a few days I will be able to tell if this is a cure or just something that will help ease the problem. Fingers crossed for me, and anyone else that is trying this.

extrablue 09-02-2003 07:13 AM

whats thrush?

Louise2 09-02-2003 06:10 PM

On the internet, it will give you every bit of info about thrush. I am sure if you do a search on this forum, you will also get some info.

[Edited to remove directions for websearch.]

[This message has been edited by Well-come (edited 09-03-2003).]

allergicinsw 09-04-2003 11:06 AM

What was the mixture of peroxide.

jack03 09-04-2003 08:07 PM

Louise2,

How has the peroxide been working? My son is almost 4 and he has chronic white tongue and chronic bad breath. He's had it for a couple years it seems, and now that he is becoming more social, I'm hoping to treat him effectively so he doesn't become insecure about it.

Thanks.

Louise2 09-04-2003 09:25 PM

I think I may have a solution that almost rids myself of my chronic bad breath. I can not believe that someything that just costs a few dollars has helped so much. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on other treatments that do nothing at all. I urge all you that suffer from this chronic problem to try what i have just tried. yesterday was the first day in my ENTIRE life that I did not go to work with a piece of chewing gum in my mouth.I had the best day, I was so confident and chatted and laughed all day. I deal face to face with our customers,( normally this is extremly hard, but I love my job so just have to deal with it) and it was amazing the rapport that I was able to build, just due to me finally being ME and not having to shy away cause of my fowl breath.
Anyway, what I did was search under allagies on this forum, and I started reading all about post nasel drip, as I think ( maybe) this is causing my coated tongue. The last 48 hours, I have been doing nasel irragation witha mixture of baking soda, salt and warm water. The first time I did it I was really amazed at all the mucas that came out. Sorry for the graphic details. After that I get straight 3% hydrogen peroxide and gargle, trying to leave it on my tongue as long as possible. You should see all the white coating dissapear. Then I spit it out and scrap my tongue with my tongue scraper. Finally brush my teeth and tongue with normal toothpaste. FRESH BREATH!!!!!My breath has NEVER EVER been this fresh in all my 32 years. It is amazing. This fresh breath lasted for HOURS. All I did was sip some water to moisten my mouth. After a few hours I felt a little bit of a disgusting taste, so I chewed one piece of gum, and felt like my breath was really quiet fresh again. ( Normally the gum doesnt even mask the stench)
I just hope that it keeps on working.
I am going to go back to my doctors soon and get him to check if I do have PND. In the meantime, this is the best I have felt in YEARS...no EVER!!!!!!

Jack03....
I urge you to try to get to the root of this problem with your son. If it is the same as what I have, I hate to say this but it will altar his life. I am not sure how you will be able to get him to gargle with the peroxide as it does bubble and foam in your mouth. When it is spat out it looks like froth. maybe you could get him checked for PND too.

jack03 09-05-2003 10:32 AM

thanks for the very helpful info. I'm going to get him checked out for PND, and look into that gargling remedy you described.

I hope things continue to go well for you.

Louise2 09-05-2003 02:26 PM

Thankyou Jack03,

Let us all know what the outcome is regarding your son. Very curious. I often wonder if I also had the problem at 4 years old. I first recal it at about age 6. I can clearly remember I arrived at school, then realised that I had forgotton to brush my teeth that morning. I ran all the way home, as I thought that I was going to have bad breath all day if I didnt brush my teeth. I remember Mum telling me that it would have been okay for me to stay at school and just brush my teeth when I came home. But even at age 6 I knew that my breath was fowl.
Another time when I was young I remember Mum asking me if I had a sore throat, when I asked her why, she commented that my breath was a bit "off" that day. This panicked me, even at such a young age. Another time, around the same age, I remember my 2 cousins asking who has bad breath and then they pointed at me.
Sorry to alarm you Jack03, but as I wrote before I can not stress how important it is for you to take this problem seriously for your son.

Goodluck. xx

lwe 09-05-2003 04:15 PM

Using Nystatin (prescription anti-fungal) solution as a nasal rinse is also an option. Be sure it's the pure Nystatin powder intended for mixing into water for internal use, not a product mixed with talcum for use as a foot powder.

Cashodeen 09-06-2003 04:01 AM

I seem to remember a story on 20/20 back in 1995 or 1996 where some woman had this same problem, and she had her tongue professionally scraped by a doctor. Is anyone familiar with this kind of treatment for severe cases? It's been so long since I saw this story that I forgot what it was all about.

Louise2 09-07-2003 03:52 AM

Cashodeen,

I have never heard of such a thing, but it does seem to make sense. I would love to find out some more information.

If anyone knows anything about this please let us know, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also just wondering....if there is anyone else out there that doesnt post messages that has the same problem as me? Id really like to hear your stories and how you cope with having chronic halitosis. Have you tried what I have recomended?

lwe 09-09-2003 10:31 AM

Bad breath can originate in the mouth, nose, or from chemistry elsewhere in the body that affects the air exhaled from the lungs.

A doctor once recommended that I take chlorophyll capsules for intestinal cleansing when I complained of bad breath. I don't think it helped much, though.

If your dentist and doctor can't find any specific problems in the mouth, you should think about the possibility of a yeast or other fungus infection in your nose. I read somewhere that the majority of sinus infections are actually fungal infections, and doctors are doing a disservice when they prescribe typical antibiotics for that, since killing bacteria only helps yeast to grow.

Using Nystatin solution as a nasal rinse, as I described in an earlier reply, has been helpful to me.

By the way, I learned about using Nystatin nasally from one of the Yeast Connection series of books by Dr. Crook.

[This message has been edited by lwe (edited 09-09-2003).]

Louise2 09-13-2003 11:36 PM

How dissapointing! The peroxide does not seem to be working aas good as I thought. I went out to a nightclub, and had to talk really close to people. I cringe at doing this, its so embarrasing. I noticed other people touching their noses as they have always done as soon as i open my mouth. i have even had strangers come up to me to talk and introduce themselves, soon after they walk away. Attractive girl, but her breath is VILE! I am sure that is what they think.
Once again I feel trapped by my breath.

Please Please, if anyone else knows any other hints,cures ANYTHING just let us know.

I just want to be able to communicate like a normal person. Instead people think i am simple as i choose to just nod or say nothing at all in as many conversations as possible. my mouth is better kept shut!

natural monk 12-04-2003 12:50 PM

Re: White coated tongue and it STINKS!

Please don't stop reading if you don't have Candida!!!!!!

Well, I've been reading this post and others for some time now. I have been struggling with a white coated tongue for a few months now, and can pretty confidently say that is a result of a Candida infection. However, I'll get right to the WHITE COATED TONGUE, as it is by far, for me, the most pressing issue. Below that, I have written about Candida, and finally, why illness is sky-rocketing in the last fifty years.

Addressing the more pressing issue of the coated tongue and breath.....
Well, I have very recently used two of nature's very potent antibacterial/antiviral/antifungals with success. I bought pure OREGANO OIL and pure TEA TREE OIL, and began using these (separately) to mix for mouthwashes and simply dropping some on my toothbrush and tongue scraper (almost painfully strong--I liked that because I knew it was destroying whatever that damn coating was).

I read on a very comprehensive Candida website that oregano oil is more powerful as well as gentler than the popular NYSTATIN (natural is almost always better than man made). In addition, I bought some 'PerioTherapy Toothpaste' from that money mongering jerk who owns TheraBreath, Dr. Harold Katz, as it's the most predominant when searching for a 'white coated tongue'). I have to say that this stuff must help some, as it addresses foul breath bacteria, but the oils are the powerful agents (just wanted to mention, in order to be thorough).

Please be aware that these oils are EXTREMELY potent and dilution is very much advised (they suggest 4 parts olive oil to 1 part oregano), although not required. I have not been using these for very long at all, so I cannot say that this coating won't return, however, my tongue is pink again and my breath is back to normal. Finally.

CANDIDA
Reasoning for my candida diagnosis (I have diagnosed myself, doctors are too expensive, and nature almost always makes a better, well-rounded, less harmful medicine than synthetics). My diet used to consist of absurd amounts of sugar and other terrible foods. I developed a urinary infection, where I'd have to urinate about 4 times within two hours in the morning, and frequently otherwise. Also, this disgusting tongue coating and bad breath.

With that, I have drastically changed my diet...Almost exclusively organic foods (the taste is infinitely better and don't have the toxicity of herbicides, pesticides, etc.), where I am sure to eat large quantities of raw or slightly cooked vegetables, as well as other proteins. NO Sugar! I feel stronger and happier as a result. Bottomline.

The rather expensive stuff................
Further, I have begun taking the reputable 'Garden of Life' products that are beginning to receive more attention and more praise. 'Fungal Defense' which is a 14-day program made for destroying yeast and the like, is full of the right stuff. Specifically, STRONG & RESISTIVE probiotics. I'm also taking 'Perfect Food' which is also a powerful detoxing agent, full of vitamins, nutrients, enzymes, etc. but also Homeostatic Soil Organisms (HSO's, highly stable probiotics). So far so good. They also recommend continuing on the popular 'Primal Defense', in order to maintain the healthy internal flora balance.

My Views.........
Our diets are ruining NATURE'S ability to protect us from pathogens. PROCESSED FOODS are the root of evil, as well as pesticides and the like. When we don't get the beneficial bacteria found on plants and all living organisms, from our foods/produce, then the pathogenic bacteria is able to grow unchecked. Nature is perfect. There's no disputing that....for every condition in nature, there is a NATURAL BALANCING. When we disturb this balance, as we are more and more drastically every day, particularly with George Bush as our president (Houston became the most polluted city in the US while Goerge W. was governor!!--and that's just scratching the surface), then problems occur--natural checks and balances are unable to occur.

Sure, we have increased our life spans as humans...this is due, I believe, in large part to better SANITATION practices. But today's increasing illnesses are clearly a direct result of our habits. Traditional societies used Sauerkraut and various other cultured vegetables because they knew that it had medicinal properties, as well as PRESERVATIONAL properties. The Romans recognized the process of fermantation (which cultured vegetables go through) as 'alchemy'. When they would go on 'journeys', they would be sure to have 'sauerkraut' with them, because it kept them healthy. This day and age, we process everything, we pasteurize everything....this kills all the bacteria, good and bad, and therefore, WE DON'T HAVE NATURES HELP AND PROTECTION from pathogens. Quite simple really, you cannot industrialize the ways of our ancestors, so we have taken easier and quicker and more PROFITABLE approaches to food. MONEY is the root of this issue.

You are what you eat.

[Edited to remove websites. Free advertising is not permitted.]

natural monk 12-04-2003 12:52 PM

Please Let Me Know Of Your Experiences With What I Have Mentioned.

Good Or Bad, I Am Extremely Interested In Hearing From You!!!!

Sebum 01-09-2004 08:41 PM

" The last 48 hours, I have been doing nasel irragation witha mixture of baking soda, salt and warm water. The first time I did it I was really amazed at all the mucas that came out. "

Sorry to bump this up, but I have Post Nasal Drip and I was wondering how I do nasal irregation. I have baking soda and salt, but what is nasal irregation and how does it work? Is it painful? Thanks.