It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• After Gum Surgery (update)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
    mayansun
    (female)

mayansun HB User
    After Gum Surgery (update)

There were a number of threads here inquiring about gum grafts. I was slated to have one yesterday on my top left canine tooth. Folks here have been discussing free gingival grafts in which tissues from the roof of the mouth is transplanted to the area of recession.

I got to the doctor and found out I was only have Phase I done which is to prepare the tooth by doing the same osseous surgery (read below) as I've had before becuase the grafts are less likely to take and be successful if there is not enough bone and gum tissue to support it. Thus the first step is to create the "base." This require only local anesthetic and a period of ice, it is a little sore today but that is expected. I have an evaluation in July where he will decide if this is enough to stop the recession or if I still need a graft. I'm thrilled that there is a possibility of not having the actual graft.

I had previously had two osseous (where they peel back the gum, clean, and place a plant substance to encourage new bone growth) surgeries on left and right lower first molars which were quite quick and painless (just local anesthetic and period of ice after)

SIDE NOTE: the dentist gave me (which I didn't know was an option before) a bite guard (squarish sem-soft plastic peice) to hole open my jaw on the right (surgery on left) which relieved much of the pain and stress of holding my jaw open for 45 minutes.

Hope this information helps others. Sutures come out next week but I'm optimistic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
    64player
    (male)

64player HB User
    Re: After Gum Surgery (update)

Your dentist needs to explain to you two things: 1) What caused the recession to begin with. 2) What percentage of the time this procedure has worked in his hands.

First, by simply doing a graft or treating the site directly, it is like filling your car with oil when it is low and not understanding what caused it to be low in the first place. Sure that will solve the problem for a while but unless the source of the problem is addressed you will have a failure in less than two years. Recession is usually caused by one of two things (usually), either periodontal disease or occlusion (abfraction).

Second, the success rate of treating recession through the periodontist isnot high. It varies so much, but even in the hands of a great periodontist the success rate can be less than 50/50. But that is also dependant upon what you define as success. In dentistrty every dentist defines success of his work differently. I think that 5 years or greater is a good starting point for work that is supposed to work (you have some things in dentistry that are specifically patch up work that is designed to only last a short time).

My main concern is wasting time and money for something that may not work. I have seen it over and over and over again.

Good luck,
    David

Old 03-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
    mayansun
    (female)

mayansun HB User

To the previous response to my post:

While I appreciate your concerns, my post wasn't intended to be a sales pitch for work I've had done or for anyone else to do. I posted it b/c there have been a number of posts on here about people asking what this particular procedure was like, how long to heal etc.

And just so you know... There has been full disclosure between me and my dentist about current problems / underlying issues / long-term success and I've made informed decisions about which procedures I'm willing to have done and which not. And Of course there are no guarantees--

Old 03-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
    emmyy
    (female)

emmyy HB User

Thanks Mayansun,

I've posted on the other threads about gum recession and gum grafting. Good news that you may not need a graft.

My recession is from brushing too hard and at the moment my teeth are fine, she said that there has been hardly any bone loss. I think I'd be ok for the graft without the osseous but it's good to know that it's not particularly painful, just in case.

Good luck for your next appt in July, fingers crossed no grafting for you. Keep us up dated

Closed Thread