It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Biting pain 2 months after root canal.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #16
    mariazzzz
    (female)

mariazzzz HB User
    Re: Biting pain 2 months after root canal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daisy~
    Oh it would hurt me when I'd eat bread as well. Anything that required some kind of pressure would hurt though not as much as you. But yeah, wait it out a bit and see how it gets.

In my case, the pain didn't slowly diminish...it wasn't getting better each day, it just went away...Hopefully things will get better for you as well Hang in there!
    Hi Daisy, thank you so much for your story. It makes me feel a little hopeful. My pain is not slowly diminishing either. I think I will wait it out a while.At least I have the other side of my mouth to eat with. Thanks, Maria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2006, 10:58 PM   #17
    dale2004
    (male)

dale2004 HB User

Hi Maria, I have had a few failed root canals so I can relate very well to these stories. The reason why you're getting extreme pain when you are touching the tooth, even lightly, is because your periodontal ligament is inflamed. This can be inflamed for a number of reasons such as a sprain, bruise, or infection. When your tooth becomes infected and you require a root canal, it hurts to bite on it because you have a infection around the tip of the tooth which causes inflammation around the bone and ligament at the base of the tooth. So when you bite down, you irritate this and you feel pain.

Now whether your tooth will get better on its own or not is anybody's guess. I have heard of people taking many months for them to settle down, and it eventually does, but in my case they never seem to heal properly. However, I think if after two months you're still feeling extreme pain like that then I would be a little dubious as to whether the root canal has actually worked or not. I had failed root canals which have looked perfect on xray and yet pain would continue for years. Eventually I would get sick of it and have the tooth pulled and the pain would disappear. Just go easy as its only 2 m months, get plenty of sleep and take care of yourself in order to build your immune system to help fight the inflammation that is still there. After a root canal, your body is still required to heal the little bit of inflammation that is still there so try and help it along as best you can. If things are getting no better soon though, I would definitely get another opinion. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:16 AM   #18
    mariazzzz
    (female)

mariazzzz HB User

Hi, It's been 3 months now and I still have the pain on touch. It may be getting better but ever so slowly. I no longer have chin or ear ache/pain. It still hurts to touch it and forget about eating. I don't know what to do. I may go for a second opinon but I do not want any more xrays taken, maybe back to the oral surgeon? Don't know. I feel like my dentist endo and the oral surgeon all do not really care all that much. I did not have an infection or abcess in this tooth. All I had that made them recommend root canal was pain on biting in one spot.......I do not want to rush into having the root canal redone if this will go away even if it takes month. Now my gripe, big fat gripe is this...If it is so damn common to miss a canal in a molar why the heck don't they make SURE they have found and cleaned all of them. Wouldn't that make sense instead of having to go and redo a root canal. Instead of just guessing in the first place. It is like common place MALPRACTICE and I am so mad! Maria By the way, you say you had failed root canals. Did they go back in to make sure they didn't miss a canal? Was pulling the tooth the only resort? Great , I feel terrible!

[Do not use cuss/slang words. Please consider the smilies to show emphasis or expressions of emotions. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 04-28-2006 at 08:14 PM.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:49 AM   #19
    katzfriend
    (female)

katzfriend HB User

Maria, maybe they think we can always redo the root canal and make more money, LOL. I know that's a bit crass, but who knows? If I were you maybe I would find another dentist/endo, if you are getting the feeling that the one you are seeing doesn't really care you are in pain! Good luck to you!!!

Old 05-02-2006, 07:32 AM   #20
    ketan
    (male)

ketan HB User
    Unhappy Re: Biting pain 2 months after root canal.

Hello everybody,
    My tooth pain has brought me here to find some comfort. I will not take much time in narrating.
    - done root canal 3 weeks ago in upper left two molar befor last. Last was removed long back. Crown made yesterday.
    - after root canal filling I found that I was having faint pain in biting and chewing. No problem for cold or hot substances.
    -after fixing crawn this problem of biting continues. If I do not allow upper jaw to touch the lower then no problem.
    - since hot or cold substances are not creating problem can I believe that the doctor has done his job right? He assured me that X-ray showed perfact.
    - what is the most possible outcome?
    Your replies will certainly help me feel better.
    Ketan

Old 05-03-2006, 03:22 AM   #21
    mariazzzz
    (female)

mariazzzz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ketan
    Hello everybody,
    My tooth pain has brought me here to find some comfort. I will not take much time in narrating.
    - done root canal 3 weeks ago in upper left two molar befor last. Last was removed long back. Crown made yesterday.
    - after root canal filling I found that I was having faint pain in biting and chewing. No problem for cold or hot substances.
    -after fixing crawn this problem of biting continues. If I do not allow upper jaw to touch the lower then no problem.
    - since hot or cold substances are not creating problem can I believe that the doctor has done his job right? He assured me that X-ray showed perfact.
    - what is the most possible outcome?
    Your replies will certainly help me feel better.
    Ketan
    Hi Ketan, I am sorry you are having this problem. I am worried everytime I hear someone has to get a root canal. Seems like they are not the end all answer a lot of the time. I have somewhat the same symptoms as you. I wouldn't call it faint pain though. It is quite painful to bite on anything for me and it has now been 3 months since the root canal. My xrays are also picture perfect. This means nothing. Either we have a slow healing mouth, the dentist missed a canal or we have a failed root canal. I have researched till I can't see and I can not find another answer. I am at the point where I am just waiting to see if it gets better. I am very nervous about the dentist and the last thing I want to do is go back! I don't know what to tell you. Maybe this biting pain will go away. Keep the dentist informed and PLEASE let me know what happens with you. I am getting no where with my dentists! Sincerely, Maria

Closed Thread