It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Nervous about braces

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
    laina
    (female)

laina HB User
    Unhappy Nervous about braces

I am getting braces in about a week and a half, and I'm really nervous I have never had braces before, and I really don't know what to expect. I am in my mid 20's and I feel completely ridiculous getting braces. If anyone has any helpful info that I should know before I do this, I would appreciate it. Anyone else feel like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
    Re: Nervous about braces

Don't feel bad. I'm in my 50's and wore braces recently. You'll get used to wearing them fairly quickly. It's just a pain when you eat and food gets caught on the brackets. Try to brush and floss regularly. Good luck.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
    Daisy~
    (female)

Daisy~ HB User

Hey!

I know how you feel! I'm 22 years old, going to Univeristy...I'm graduating next year in 2 programs where the careers that I want have a lot to do with image...and I JUST got braces a few months ago!

I have ceramics on top and metal on bottom so it's not too bad. The top teeth are more visible but with the ceramic brackets...people don't really notice I wear braces unless I'm really close or constantly laugh.

Which ones are you getting?

Just keep thinking about your smile when the braces are off. That's what I do! I feel like giving up almost every day but I just keep thinking how my teeth and smile will look like once this is all done...

Good luck! And honestly, we always think its the worse thing but once you have them on for about a week or two...you start realizing that nobody cares that you have braces...

Old 04-28-2006, 04:44 AM   #4
    laina
    (female)

laina HB User

Thanks for all the encouragement. I am getting the ceramic ones too, so I hope mine aren't that noticeable too. I am a little scared about not knowing what to expect with braces. For example, how do you floss? Is there anything you wish you had known before getting braces that would have been helpful?

Old 04-28-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

There's a floss made for people who wear braces. You can buy it at the drugstore. One brand is Crest Glide. There are directions on the back of the box showing you how to use the floss. You can also do a google search and learn more about it. It's a hassle at first, but once you get the hang of it, it isn't bad.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
    laina
    (female)

laina HB User

Thanks for the info. What kind of braces do you have sunshine?

Old 04-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
    laina
    (female)

laina HB User

Daisy,

forgot to ask, are the ceramic braces harder to keep clean than the metal? Any problem with stains from foods or drinks? Thanks.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
    Daisy~
    (female)

Daisy~ HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laina
    Daisy,

forgot to ask, are the ceramic braces harder to keep clean than the metal? Any problem with stains from foods or drinks? Thanks.
    Hi

The bracket doesn't stain at all so don't worry about it. What does stain is the ligature...the little rubber band going around each bracket to keep the wire in place. There are various colors you can choose. If you take the clear ligatures, expect some staining...usually the stain isn't SO bad...it turns to a light yellowish color...but people won't notice it...you will...but the lig won't stain to the point where others will notice.

White and smoke ligs are pretty discreet...almost like the clear ones. They stain a bit less than clear ones but they do stain as well.

The silver ligs are a bit more noticeable but they don't stain at all.

Of course if you are daring, you can choose colors but some stain as well.

Staining is due to foods like curry...coffee...tea...tomatoe things...stay away from mustard!!!

As for your other question about flossing...you will get the hang of it. It's REALLY annoying in the beginning because you have to get the floss between each tooth...each bracket...it takes a bit of time but you will get used to it. I use regular floss but like Sunshine said, there is a special one made for people in braces where the ends are stiff. There are also floss threaders that will help you with flossing. Your ortho will show you how to floss when you get your braces on.

Don't forget to rinse at least once a day with warm salt water...1 table spoon of salt in a cup of warm water...it will make your mouth feel better...use lip balm...and use wax on the brackets that are irritating the inside of your mouth...expect to be on a somewhat liquid diet for a few days but you will get back to normal after a week or so...

Good luck

Old 04-29-2006, 06:10 AM   #9
    laina
    (female)

laina HB User

Daisy, thanks for all the info. Should I take advil before my appt to get the braces on, or should I wait in until after? Will I need advil on the first day? Sorry for all the questions.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:31 PM   #10
    Spandex
    (male)

Spandex HB User

take it from me, I used braces for almost 2 years and the end results were worth every single minute of it. Few things are more rewarding than the day you get them off. You won't regret it trust me.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #11
    Daisy~
    (female)

Daisy~ HB User

Laina,

Everyone experiences pain differently. For some, getting braces is painful, for others...there is no pain at all.

When your ortho will put the brackets on, you won't feel anything. The actual process of getting the braces is very smooth. The only discomfort is that your ortho will have to put a lip expander while he bonds the brackets...make sure to put lip balm before to keep your lips mosturized.

After a few hours, you might experience some level of pain. I never needed an advil prior to getting braced or after. I never experienced pain...But it varies for everyone. You can take an advil before the braces are bonded...to make sure you won't be in pain afterwards...but that's up to you. I've heard so many things about how getting braces feels like you were hit with a baseball bat...in my case that really wasn't the case...at all!!!

You will feel pressure and soreness...especially with your front teeth. Flossing will be a bit painful the first few days...in fact you might choose not to floss between your front teeth because of the pain...But that pain doesn't last long...Brushing is also hard the first few days with your front teeth...but that will go away too.

Your teeth will feel sore the first few weeks...but usually it's only when you apply some kind of pressure...such as brushing, eating, flossing, etc...You may choose to take an advil but it's not necessary...it's just a choice. Expect to be on a liquid diet for a bit...and your bite may go off for a little while...but you will get used to it all.

When are you getting your braces? Are you getting braced on both your upper and lower teeth at the same time?

Old 04-30-2006, 01:36 AM   #12
    wintersun
    Veteran
    (female)

wintersun HB User
    Talking Re: Nervous about braces

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laina
    I am getting braces in about a week and a half, and I'm really nervous I have never had braces before, and I really don't know what to expect. I am in my mid 20's and I feel completely ridiculous getting braces. If anyone has any helpful info that I should know before I do this, I would appreciate it. Anyone else feel like this?
    You will be BEAUTIFUL in about a year-CONGRATS!!

Old 04-30-2006, 05:44 AM   #13
    laina
    (female)

laina HB User

Thanks again Daisy. I am getting my braces on the 9th. I am getting both the uppers and lowers braced at the same time. I'm glad to hear that you didn't think it was painful to have the braces put on. Many people I know have been telling me how much pain I am going to be in, so I was kinda nervous. How long is your treatment time?

Thank you everyone for all of your support and kind words. It's just what I needed

Old 05-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #14
    sweeterthan
    (female)

sweeterthan HB User

I'm 22 and I am going to be getting braces soon. The problem right now is the $$ to pay for it. I am taking some time to save money, I want braces so badly! My teeth don't look horrible, but there is some noticable crowding in the front and I want straight teeth more than anything for myself. Don't worry there are lots of people our age and older with braces, its worth it. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #15
    US40126
    Veteran
    (female)

US40126 HB User

Hey Hun, I'm 26 and getting braces in a month or so. I have the same concerns you have, but I keep thinking about what I will look like in the end. That thought always makes me feel better

Closed Thread