It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• need advice abt. extractions and new dentures

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
    mc1982
    (female)

mc1982 HB User
    need advice abt. extractions and new dentures

Hi all....I am new to this board and would like some feedback. I get all my top teeth pulled this coming Wed and an immediate upper denture put in. How did some of you do after the extractions? were you swollen, have alot of pain or what? (I hope no...lol) I am a big chicken and scared to death but it has to be done. Thank goodness I have a very nice and sympathetic dentist. He gave me Valium to take before I get there Wed. and will get an antibiotic and Vicodan when I leave on Wed. I have bought an ice pack and a big bag of Sonic ice ( it is almost like crushed ice, very small pieces) and have stocked up on soup, puddings, yogurt, popsicles, ice cream, Boost and other soft foods. Plus I have a very sweet grown daughter and she is making Paula Deens Homemade Chicken Soup and a Banana Pudding and bringing it over, for her dad to eat (the banana pudding will be without bananas and vanilla wafers for me...lol)Can you think of anything else I need to have on hand? I have to go back to the Dentist on Thursday also, I guess just for him to check bleeding, swelling and such. He didnt really say. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis and since he is giving me antibiotics that means I cant take my Humira or my methotrexate. My Rheumatologist also told me to leave off baby asprin this week and my Fosamax. We have a cold front coming Thursday so probably my arthritis will act up enough to take my mind off my mouth pain! Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am 61 yo and in fairly good health except for the darn Rheumatoid Arthritis. I live in East Texas on a lake, married, with grown children and grandchildren. Sorry to ramble so...lol...hope to hear from some of you soon. Thanks a bunch...Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
    crisma
    Veteran
    (female)

crisma HB User
    Re: need advice abt. extractions and new dentures

Hi Marcia! Try not to be so worried. I know that is easier said than done, but I am sure you will be fine. I had both upper and lower teeth removed, and got immediate dentures about 21/2 years ago. I had a pretty easy time with mine. The pain from getting my teeth pulled and getting used to dentures was not anywhere close to the pain I had with my toothaches.

Are you going to be knocked out or are they just going to numb you? The first several hours you probably won't feel much like eating anything. Just make sure you have something very cold to drink. That helps a lot. I don't know if your dentist recommends this, but mine said no dairy products for 24 hours. I had pinto beans for the first 3 days or so.

Upper dentures are the easiest to get used to, so I don't think you will have too many problems. What a nice daughter you have! I'll bet that is gonna be some tasty soup! That should be pretty easy to get down.

It sounds like you are very prepared. There is nothing else that I can think to add. I hope it goes well for you. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them if I can!

Good luck!
    Cristie

Old 10-10-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
    mc1982
    (female)

mc1982 HB User

Hi Cristie...thanks so much for replying...thought I was not going to get any before tomorrow. You do make me feel better, hope my experience is as good as yours was. I talked to my sister in law tonight and she had this done abt. 2 yrs. ago also and had no problems. She said she mostly stayed in bed and slept the first couple of days. My dentist hasnt said anything yet abt. dairy products but I will get instructions tomorrow. Glad you told me that because I have ice cream and Boost...might not need to do those right away. In a couple of weeks I will have 3 pulled in the bottom and 2 crowned and get partial. I think the Dr. wants to see how this goes first before making that appt. Thanks again for your encouragement, I will post again as soon as I am able and let you know how it went. Hugs...Marcia

Old 10-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
    mc1982
    (female)

mc1982 HB User

Hi Cristie...thanks so much for replying...thought I was not going to get any before tomorrow. You do make me feel better, hope my experience is as good as yours was. I talked to my sister in law tonight and she had this done abt. 2 yrs. ago also and had no problems. She said she mostly stayed in bed and slept the first couple of days. My dentist hasnt said anything yet abt. dairy products but I will get instructions tomorrow. Glad you told me that because I have ice cream and Boost...might not need to do those right away. In a couple of weeks I will have 3 pulled in the bottom and 2 crowned and get partial. I think the Dr. wants to see how this goes first before making that appt. Thanks again for your encouragement, I will post again as soon as I am able and let you know how it went. Hugs...Marcia PS....no, I am not being put out, just novacaine and the valium an hour before the appt. Oh and I guess dairy is ok because the nurse told me to get a malt or milkshake on the way home and take my pain med.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:13 AM   #5
    NYtoTN
    (female)

NYtoTN HB User

Hi Marcia
    I probably read your post too late to respond to you before your procedure. But I wish you well.
    In May I had all my upper teeth pulled and had no problem at all. Also very little pain.
    Please post when you feel up to it and let us know how you are doing.

Lynn

Old 10-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
    crisma
    Veteran
    (female)

crisma HB User

Hi Marcia! Just checking in to see how today went. I hope it went well and I hope you are doing ok!

Cristie

Old 10-11-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
    mc1982
    (female)

mc1982 HB User

Hi Lynn and Cristie...thank you for responding to my post. It is 7:15pm in East Texas now. My appt. was at 2:30...I was in and out in an hour!! The worst part were the shots of novacaine. I really feel pretty good right now. The taste of blood was pretty nasty but thank goodness did not last too long. Right now I am pretty sleepy feeling from the Vicodan. I really have a great Dentist, he is very kind and understanding. He and the nurse said I did great...sort of like to tore the arms off his chair from abt. 4 of the injections...lol... (the rest werent too bad) and I didnt even need any sutures. I have to go back in the morning at 11am and then anytime I feel that I need an adjustment. He also has me scheduled for a reline in 2 months on the upper denture and then in around 1 yr. or so. I still have to go back in a week or so to get impressions on two crowns I need in the bottom and the partial impression and a couple of fillings in the bottom. Only had to have 4 pulled in the bottom and he did those today too....didnt realize he was planning to do those also but oh well...it is all over now...yeaaa!!!. All in all it was not near as bad as I had conjured up in my mind...lol. Now I can smile again without putting my hand or something else in front of my mouth and can laugh with my mouth open. The upper looks really good too and very natural. Well I think I am going to eat some yogurt and go to bed. Feel really tired but that is prob. from all the stress I worked myself into...lol. I had turned it over to the Lord....but as usual I took it back and worried. He would probably like to smack me sometimes, but He answered my prayer that it would go well and I would not have alot of pain...God is good!! Hugs and prayers to both of you....Marcia

Old 10-13-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
    crisma
    Veteran
    (female)

crisma HB User

Hi Marcia, glad to see that it went pretty good! How are you feeling now? I think that is why the dental chairs have arms, LOL!!! It sounds like your dentist is doing about the same thing that mine did. I really liked mine too. It makes a big difference when you have a good dentist! At least you got the bottoms out of the way, so at now you won't have to worry about that. Isn't it nice having a pretty smile? I love mine!!! Let us know how you are doing!

Cristie

Old 10-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
    NYtoTN
    (female)

NYtoTN HB User

Hi Marcia.
    I'm so happy for you that all went well with you extractions. I agree that the worst part was the injections. But once you are numb it all goes smoothly. It's good that he did all your extractions in one sitting. I remember that I didn't really need the pain meds after the first day. I hope it will be that way for you too.
    How did it go when you went back for your first checkup? It's great that you didn't need sutures. That should speed up your healing.
    Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:32 PM   #10
    mc1982
    (female)

mc1982 HB User

Hi Lynn and Cristie...well it is Friday night and had a pretty good day. I was hurting a little when I got up this morning and did a little this afternoon. Had hoped to not take pain meds today, but that is what they are for I guess. I only took 2 today and could take every 4 hrs. but didnt. I am going to take one before bedtime tonight tho, seems to help me sleep better. There is just this couple of really tender spots on right upper side. They told me to start yesterday taking upper plate out and rinsing with warm salt water 5 or 6 times a day so am faithfully doing that. If still having pain in that same place Monday I will probably go in and let them check it just to be sure it is not infected or anything. I started antibiotics Wed. afternoon tho and take one every 6 hrs. so it shouldnt be. So far the denture is still fitting really well with good suction but I know that will change as my swelling goes down more. I assume that is the reason for a reline at 2 months. Well, it is late so am going to get off here. Thanks so much to both of you for checking on me. It is really good to have someone to talk to that knows where I am coming from.
    catch ya later...Hugs...Marcia

Old 10-19-2006, 06:50 PM   #11
    crisma
    Veteran
    (female)

crisma HB User

Hi Marcia!!! How are things going? I just wanted to check in with ya. I have gotten a temporary job at a costume shop through Halloween and I haven't been on here in a few day! I forget how hard it is to work with a hubby and kids! Thank God it is temporary! LOL!!!

It sounds like things have been going pretty good. Are you just gonna have one reline? Let us know how you are doing!

Cristie

Old 10-19-2006, 07:44 PM   #12
    mc1982
    (female)

mc1982 HB User

Hi Cristie...I was just thinking tonight that I needed to get back to you and Lynn. I have really done good this week...a few little sore spots but not bad. I go in tomorrow to get cleaning on bottom teeth, one filling and they will prepare the two teeth that get crowns and do temp ones...they said it would be about 2 weeks for crowns to be ready. They said I would come back in two months for a reline and then prob. in a year....little less or little more according to how the top plate is fitting. I have been eating pretty good, soft and semi soft tho, nothing really hard or tough. Will be glad when I get the bottom partial (it will be abt. 5 wks. after I get perm crowns they said) then maybe I can dig into a steak...lol. Things have not been near as bad as I imagined and I thank you so much for checking on me. It means alot. Try not to work too hard...lol....Hugs, Marcia

Closed Thread