It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• soft bump formed between upper gums and cheek...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
    taylorj
    (male)

taylorj HB User
    soft bump formed between upper gums and cheek...

It almost feels like a blister, it just started a few days ago, and part of my left cheek area is slightly swollen. It doesn't really hurt, and the swelling hasn't increased either. Any ideas what it could be? I didn't cut my mouth there either. I've been taking advil occasionally and have iced it a couple times. Any insight would be appreciated. I don't have dental insurance at the moment, so I need to know how serious it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: soft bump formed between upper gums and cheek...

Is it actually on the inside of your cheek itself or on the gum tissue above or near a tooth? Try rinsing with either warm salt water or a non-alchohol mouth wash or rinse that soothes gums & irritations and see if that helps. If it forms a white pimple or white bump I would have a dentist check it out since it could be the sign of tooth infection. I used to get reddish bumps on the inside of my cheeks from time to time as if I bit it or pricked it with something but they would go away on their own in a few days.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:43 AM   #3
    Shgar
    (female)

Shgar HB User

This sounds like it could be an abscess or infected tooth. Hurry to your dentist for treatment.

I am dealing with an abscess right now and it requires strong antibiotics and quick intervention. That swelling in your face can get worse and spread very rapidly. My whole left side of my face swelled up -- into my temple, under my eye, down into my neck. I don't know where it was headed next, and don't even want to think about it.!! Good Luck

Old 10-27-2006, 04:56 AM   #4
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by taylorj
    It almost feels like a blister, it just started a few days ago, and part of my left cheek area is slightly swollen. It doesn't really hurt, and the swelling hasn't increased either. Any ideas what it could be? I didn't cut my mouth there either. I've been taking advil occasionally and have iced it a couple times. Any insight would be appreciated. I don't have dental insurance at the moment, so I need to know how serious it is.
    I currently have the same problem and I have been on a strong antibiotic and will be having the tooth area looked at by an oral surgeon for possible biopsy. The antibiotics have not affected the size of the lump. It is not painful at all and just feels like I have a piece of food caught between my gum and cheek. The preliminary diagnosis was a fistula. The first dentist said she could not see where the problem was coming from as the xray did not show a drainage problem from a tooth or the sinus cavity. So, that is another situation to look at. Mine has been there for six months already but no swelling any other place.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:19 PM   #5
    cfoxj
    (female)

cfoxj HB User

I have had a strange feeling above my tooth on my cheek for a number of months now. I can feel it when I smile. It kind of feels tender like a nerve is being touched. Not painful or intolerable just sensitive. I went to my Dentist about it several months ago and he x-rayed it and tapped the tooth and all seemed to be good. He also took some kind of machine and ran it from the bottom upward to test the health of the tooth. That seemed to be ok also. I had been sick with the flu about a week before I visited him, so he thought maybe there was some connection and that this would go away. He also told me to start using toothpaste for sensitive teeth. So I did. Well, it still has not gone away. Sometimes when I am eating and bite down on something slightly hard like a peanut or something it feels like the tooth is going to break and is painful. Today I started to rub around up there. I found a lump. This thing that has been bothering me is a lump. It is kind of hard, but, not completely. Now I am really concerned. Any ideas anyone? Please help!

Closed Thread