It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Teeth Grinding & headache

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2006, 07:07 AM   #1
    waheshny
    (female)

waheshny HB User
    Teeth Grinding & headache

Hello Everbody;
    I have been to the dentist lately becasue I have been having alot of headache on the back and under jaw sensation, the doctor took x-rays and said that you have teeth grinding (bruxaisim) and that is due to stree and that is causing it. He said the teeth grinding is main reason for the continuouos headache that I have been having for over a month. Anythoughts on that. I do grind the teeth, I have been going through much stress lately. He told me you need a night guard. I don't want to buy the expensive night guard and turns out that this is not the problem and the headache is caused by something else.
    Anyfeedback is apprepciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: Teeth Grinding & headache

Although stress can cause teeth grinding so can malocculsion or a poor bite. I know mouth guards are expensive but sometimes they can make a big difference. You really want to address this before it gets any worse and you start to develop full blown tmj or facial spasms, of which I have both.

Some alternative treatments to help reduce stress related symptoms and grinding of the teeth include neck exercises, neck massages, a vibrating back pad (although I find they make me more tense), warm compresses to the neck and face before retiring, repositioning your head while sleeping - a cervical pillow may help, but do not pile pillows up on one another and sleep semi prone. While you are falling to sleep try and focus on keeping your teeth slightly apart even if it means your mouth stays slighlty open - kind of just let the lower jaw fall on its own - but don't obsess about it. The idea is you need to relax yourself while falling asleep and change some of the habits you may have formed due to the stress.

If you are interested in medications , my sister has been having grinding problems and she said xanex has helped quite a bit.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
    Sweetsingingp
    (female)

Sweetsingingp HB User

A wonderful man I know recommended holding a tennis ball and squeezing it every time I awoke from grinding my teeth..... I cracked one of my molars because I grind my teeth so intensly.... Stress is a factor in this...... I would get the mouth gaurd, or a sports mouth gaurd so you can grind your way through it and it wont be terribly expensive. hehehe... I bought a guard from a local store and it seems to be helping, at least I am not waking up from such intense pain from grinding any longer.......

Old 11-16-2006, 05:24 AM   #4
    waheshny
    (female)

waheshny HB User

Thank you very much for your feedback, that absolutely help

Old 11-16-2006, 05:28 AM   #5
    undercoat
    (female)

undercoat HB User

I have a mouth guard and I love it. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth every penny - no more headaches and no more snoring either! I sleep so much better now and I quite enjoy chomping on it at night. I am hoping too that it will stop me wearing my teeth down so much.

All the best!

Old 11-17-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I am a fellow Bruxer and was wearing my right side teeth flat. I have been wearing a specially molded hard occlusal night guard which I got from the dentist for over 4 years. Back then it cost me about $300 which was ALOT for me, but I am so grateful now that I made the investment. I find that I grind every night. The grinding is just worse when I am stressed or when I have one of my frequent sinus infections. I have such force in my grinding that I actually put a crack in my first guard within the first 6 months. Luckly it was still under warranty and I got another one. That is the guard I am still using 3 1/2 years later. I have some definite worn spots on it which make me appreciate it even more because that wearing would have been on my teeth. The guard took a bit of getting used to, but now I miss it if I don't have it in at night. I had a large tori (boney ridge that I formed as a result of the grinding) removed from my outer jaw last week and I haven't been able to wear the guard yet. The doc said it would be a while before I could. Anyway, I am so used to the guard that I have been waking up with my tongue between my teeth trying to take it's place. Unfortunately, I have been bruising my tongue. I never thought I would say this, but I am looking forward to the day I can wear the guard again.

I know this was long. I hope it helps.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:26 PM   #7
    ar58
    Inactive
    (male)

ar58 HB User

BB2GG,

You may like to try a couple of doses of Sepia 30c and see if this helps. Sepia 30c is homeopathic remedy and has been found to be helpful in conditions like yours. Hope this helps

Old 11-20-2006, 05:39 AM   #8
    scoob8000
    (male)

scoob8000 HB User

I picked up an over the counter night gaurd for $20 at Walmart to see if I can even stand to wear one. It helps a lot. The only time I can't wear it is when I'm sick and coughing a lot because it triggers gag reflexes.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:45 AM   #9
    waheshny
    (female)

waheshny HB User

I am am amzed that night guards are available at Wall Marts, what about their sizes, do they fit everyone's teeth?

Closed Thread