It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Weird Stuff Related to Root Canal or Not

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
    Redeye59
    (male)

Redeye59 HB User
    Weird Stuff Related to Root Canal or Not

I just had a root canal started last Tue. For the first time, I had nitrous oxide, laughing gas, as well.

I came out of this experience with weakness like with a bad sinus infection, and I don't know if the gas did this or some of the bad stuff in the tooth eluded the dentist's eye. He told me the tooth wasn't that infected, though in need of repair, and that we had gotten to it just in time.

I feel bad, like I've been ill for a year, a bad smell in my head, and now today, I can barely taste some foods, but chocolate, I can't. I assume it is from the sinuses being infected or whatever it is.

Has anyone ever emerged from a root canal procedure, the first part, in particular, like this? When the mask was removed from my nose inhaling that stuff, it smelled like fire smoke in the room! I thought the office was on fire! That stuff temporarily altered my sense of smell, then by a day or two later, I'm feeling like I've been sick a year with a sinus infection. Weird stuff.

I'm getting to the bottom of this Monday and will talk to the dentist office, and maybe see an e.n.t. Dr. To me, this isn't the way it's supposed to go post-root canal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: Weird Stuff Related to Root Canal or Not

Although I did not experience what you did with nitrous oxide my nose and siuses were tender for a few days afterwards. It probably did affect your sinuses as well as your tastebuds since the 2 senses are closely related. I'm pretty sure both will reutrn to normal eventually but its good that you're going to have it checked out. If the tooth was an upper one it could also be due to the sinuses since they share some of the same nerves. You might want to try steam facials to ease your sinuses or taking a long shower and seeing if that helps.

Closed Thread