It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• bone loss & dentist wants to do a crown?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
    hcvsd
    (male)

hcvsd HB User
    Question bone loss & dentist wants to do a crown?

hello,

I have bone loss on my teeth 3-6 maybe 7mm I'm 35 and recently had braces and they are now removed, (my bottom teeth still look bad because of so much bone loss.)

I go for cleanings every 3 months and do the best I can at home. My last visit the dentist did x rays and said a few teeth have alot of bone loss and I could loss them, I have had so much done I feel tired of all the money, and pain.

My question is I had a root canal done a while back (one of many) and the dentist wants to do a crown? I have to pay 400 do I realy need this done?

Also i know im going to have to have dentures soon i asked for them a few years ago but of course they said nooo, we can do this and that...my last visit she said I may need gum surgery to help with a certain pocket, blah blah

any advise support please.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: bone loss & dentist wants to do a crown?

Teeth that have root canal run the risk of becoming brittle and breaking or fracturing down the road or becoming re-infected should the filling become loose or dislodged. The crown supposedly protects both from happening. However I had a upper front tooth root canaled in my pre-teens and it lasted without a crown for more than 20 yrs. It even withstood braces during that time as well.

In terms of perio disease and bone loss, the goal of all dentists is to prevent the loss of natural teeth at whatever the cost. Some dentists will guilt you into doing the "right" thing however despite their best intentions no dentist can guarantee the success of treatment or the longevity of the teeth. For some people treatments work and for others it merely buys them more time or postpones the inevitable. So it comes down to how bad or severe is the perio disease right now, how much time and money are you willing to commit to saving the teeth and how important are your teeth in terms of other life issues and responsiblities.

B/c you recently got your braces off you don't really want to lose that investment you made in that already, do you? You may want to first find out how far gone the perio is - if its limited to just a few teeth, then do what you can to save them and prevent the disease from progressing further. If the perio disease is already in an advanced stage and is widespread - and given the fact you already feel you will eventually be wearing dentures - then maybe you do the minimal amount of treatments such as a deep cleaning or root planing and see how long the teeth last. My sister opted not to do the gum or flap surgery and does the deep cleaning every other year and she still has all her teeth and supposedly she had intermediate to advanced perio back then.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
    hcvsd
    (male)

hcvsd HB User

Thanks, for the info Im just tired of the money and the pain, by the way how painful is it getting the crown?

Old 11-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Since the neve has already been treated its really not painful - but since the tooth can still be sensitive they usually give you a local, at least that's what I did. The prepping of the tooth does take some time depending on its size and the noise of the grinding or filing of the tooth to prep it is annoying so wear ear plugs if the sound of a drill bothers you.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:43 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

As Thelma-Louise says, dentists will do every conceivable procedure, no matter how expensive or how short lived and give you the same story: "You should save your natural teeth whenever possible." My last riposte was that there is nothing "natural" about a root canaled and capped tooth...it is as dead as Hamlet's father. My dentist laughed...and then gave me some guff about it being "not dead but 'preserved'."
    We must each make the call when to throw in the towel.
    For some people with unlimited resourses the endless "deep scalings," periodontal work, root canalling EVERYTOOTH, crowning with glowing pocelein worthy of the finest toilet bowls, veneering, bone grafting for support and then the loss of tooth ANYWAY is tolerable.
    Now the NEW "natural tooth" is the implant. Until infection sets into the jawbone at least.

Play your cards exactly WRONG and you could wind up spending $10 grand on every tooth in your mouth.
    That's fine for Cher an Julia Roberts but nobody pays me $21 million per movie (JR's fee.)

Remember, you may loook at a tooth as a personal and lovely friend you've had most of your life; a dentist sees it only as a money stream! Your goals are different.

I have called it quits on root canals, or WORSE , RE-root canals. My decision was made on an upper bicuspid that has chipped away to nothing after the 5th amalgam failed and there was nothing left of real tooth but an enamel shell. It would require "root-lenthening" <a euphemism for gum removal before root-canal post and crown...$3 grand. Trouble is the tooth NEXT to it looks ifffy and may need to be RE ROOTCanaled, REposted and RE crowned (new crown of course)...another couple grand. So I said NO, I'll remove the stump when it hurts and remove the second tooth if it fails...and get an upper removable partial with two teeth.

I think anyone with periodontal disease should keep their pockets clean and lose the teeth gracefully and inevitably using a partial plate where necessary (you can keep having teeth added) and then dentures when the time comes.
    If you can forestall that time by 3 or 4 years for $20,000 then do so if you have money to burn.

I USED to go through the whole 5 steps of dying for every tooth problem in in my mouth. I finally came to the conclusion that having a near nervous breakdown 32 times is NOT a way to live.
    Teeth were not made evolutionarily to live 60, 70 or 80 years. THey have a limited span and when they go, a healthy approach might be to say BYE-BYE. Worrying an paying over and over for the same doomed tooth is sort of a "death by 1000 cuts."

There are also probably some immunilogical problems that dentists will NEVER mention with keeping dead material <like rootless, blood-supplyless dead teeth> in your mouth for a couple decades. Other places on your body, such dead material is called gangrene.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-01-2006 at 03:56 AM.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
    arlmon18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

arlmon18 HB User
    Unhappy Re: bone loss & dentist wants to do a crown?

Lenin - This past year, I have undergone gum surgery that lasted 6 months. This was all due to a horrible dentist who didn't watch me carefully enough, even though I went for cleanings every 4 months. There really is no guarantee with gum surgery. I have at least 7 teeth that are mobile - 4 of which are the bottom front teeth. I have a splint for these teeth, but my new dentist told me that he can't guarantee how long it will last. It's already fallen off once, and it's a real pain to clean around. I can't have implants on the 4 front teeth because of bone loss, and who has the $$ to do all this?? I take it day by day - I'm sure in the long run, I'll have to have them removed and a permanent bridge made. My teeth are cleaned at the perio's every 3 months. Dental problems are the pitts!!!

Old 12-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
    noodles3
    (female)

noodles3 HB User

Did your periodontist tell you that there are ways to rebuild bone? I don't know if that it a possibility in your case but you might want to look into that. I don't want to scare you but bridges put force on other teeth and that can lead to more problems. Having a crown done isn't painful...if you get the root canal as an adult you are in MUCH better shape than a child getting a root canal.

Old 12-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #8
    JCW247
    (male)

JCW247 HB User

Enjoyed your no-nonsense direct response Lenin.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
    annaf
    (female)

annaf HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by annaf; 01-30-2007 at 06:23 PM. Reason: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #10
    noodles3
    (female)

noodles3 HB User

I can certainly relate to the near nervous breakdown everytime I have to deal with another tooth problem. Maybe one of the hardest things to do is coming to terms with the realization that no matter how well we care for our teeth they probably won't last forever. That is hard to come to terms with.

Closed Thread