It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Root canalled tooth feeling loose?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
    annaf
    (female)

annaf HB User
    Root canalled tooth feeling loose?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by annaf; 01-30-2007 at 07:24 PM. Reason: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
    Re: Root canalled tooth feeling loose?

Just keep it clean, floss, use a proxy brush and a water pik. Its natural for some teeth to have a bit of movement but sometimes the roots of a root canaled tooth erode or dissolve (usually attributable to bone loss). If it has a crown this could also cause bone loss. I'm not sure if this would help but you could ask the dentist if putting a sealant over it would help prevent the plaque from accumulating as much.

Also, go see a periodontist and have it checked out. Too often regular dentists and oral hygieniists don't refer patients early enough to allow preventive measures to be taken (sometimes I think its b/c the patients then start to go to the perio for routine cleanings).

Old 12-07-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
    annaf
    (female)

annaf HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by annaf; 01-30-2007 at 07:25 PM. Reason: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 12-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

When the crown is being fitted the dentist normally puts a thread or piece of "string" around the base of the tooth to allow the crown and underlying metal the room necessary to fit securely around the tooth slightly below the gum line - so it "seats" properly and you don't get a dark line between the tooth and gum - often a dead give away of crowns. Since this is not your natural tooth over time the gum tissue resting against the crown erodes or is absorbed or just shrinks. Add to this the fact that crowns tend to be bulkier than natural teeth, harder to keep clean in between teeth and near the gum line and that food sticks to them more than natural teeth all of which promotes gum tissue loss and eventually bone loss. But its not an overnight process - it can take a few years before there are any apparrent visible signs.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:21 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Bryanna,

Thank you for that post.
    It is wise for all of us know that a root-canalled tooth is NOT a healthy tooth. Just because they stay connected, to whatever degree, to the jaw doesn't mean all is well. I think viewing them as dead theeth that haven't falled out yet might be appropriate.

annaf,

Take care to avoid putting too much pressure on the tooth during eating but start making plans to replace that tooth...maybe next month or next year. But that loose toothe is telling you something.
    There is ONE possibility though; the CAP may be getting loose, not the root. Have your dentist make that call. If the latter is the case, maybe a re-cementing will give you a better outcome.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-08-2006 at 05:23 AM.

Closed Thread