It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Excruciating teeth pain :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
    redworrier
    (female)

redworrier HB User
    Excruciating teeth pain :(

Hello. I was wondering if anyone here could give me any insight or advice on my situation....

I have been having extreme pain on the right side of my mouth. It started in July. I went to the dentist and he said that I had a very small cavity that shouldn't be bothering me at all. So, I went in a got that filled a month later. Mean while the pain slowly disappeared. I figured that the pain that started was a combination of maybe sinus issues along with the cavity cause I feel like in almost the entire right side of my mouth.

Fast forward to now... the pain on the right side of my mouth came back about a week ago and it's worse now. It radiates from the top right teeth to the bottom and even back where my molars are and sends shooting pain through my cheek and jaw. It's excruciating. Sometimes it's not the teeth so much but my jaw and and cheek bone is sore. I've noticed that applying pressure to the muscle helps alliviate some of the pain as well as salt water rinses but it's only a temp. fix. The pain is not completely constant either...it does go away for about an hour or so and then comes back with intensity.

I went to the dentist yesterday and they did lot's of x-rays of my mouth and found nothing. My dentist then asked me if I have allergy or sinus issues...which I usually don't but right now I *do* have a cold. He then asked me if I have been under any stress (I have) and thinks it might be teeth clenching. I do think that I clench my teeth sometimes as I have always had dreams on/off about my teeth breaking from pressure. He then did a mold of my teeth to order me a guard to wear at night.

Here is my question - (sorry for the book lol) Can teeth clenching really cause this MUCH pain. Can anyone else relate with this? Will the pain eventually go away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
    livinTX
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

livinTX HB User
    Re: Excruciating teeth pain :(

Oh, yes, teeth clenching can do it. I could be you except my pain is on the LEFT side of my jaw. And clenching at night you often don't even realize you do it. I'm in exactly the same boat as you are. In fact, I have an appointment in 2 weeks to get a mold for a nightguard made. Yes, it's almost unbelievable the amount of pain you'd expect some major tooth problem needing immediate attention but then it turns out to be the stupid clenching causing it. I'm glad my new dentist has finally diagnosed it as it has caused a lot of major wear on my tooth enamel. Hopefully, the night guard will help protect my teeth at least.

Last edited by livinTX; 01-12-2007 at 11:05 AM.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Yes - you can get aches from teeth clenching. I have been wearing a night guard for several years now and it has helped. Besides that I was constantly running to the dentist to have my bite filed down from the pain. Once I got the guard things greatly settled down. I'm sure you will find a difference once you stat wearing one. Often times people with TMJ will use a night guard and that will help that problem too.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
    redworrier
    (female)

redworrier HB User

An update - Yesterday the pain was at it's worse. I was actually sitting in the bathroom balwing when my husband got home. He called our dentists emergency # and he called us back and said he would prescribe Vicodin for me this morning if I want it. The pain isn't in my teeth anymore. It's in my jaw and the gums on the top of my teeth. It's just feels like a TON of pressure. I can't even bite down this morning. I don't know...I just have a hard time believing that alllllll this pain is from teeth clenching. It's been this bad for 11 days now. I'm calling my family Dr. on Monday too see if he thinks that should see someone else...

Thanks for the replies!

Old 01-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
    Thelma-Louise
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I was just wondering if you had any old fillings on the side that was in pain - the reason I ask is I once had decay under an old filling that did not show up on xrays. After several weeks of going back and forth to the dentist and repeatedly doing xrays the only thing he could think of doing was opening up a tiny hole in each filling to check if anything was there - I was very luck b/c the 1st tooth he tried - a back molar, ended up having severe decay underneath the filling. He pulled every xray of the tooth out and kept looking at them over and over again and could not explain why it did not appear on any of the films. Also - you could go see an endodontist and have him check the nerves of the teeth on the side with the pain - it could be a dying or infected nerve that is causing pain to radiate throughout the area.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
    Tman7
    (male)

Tman7 HB User

I also wear a bite splint at night. I used to wake up in the mornings and my whole mouth would feel a little sore. I never thought much about it though. But when i went to the dentists and got xrays. He said i was wearing my teeth down 4 times more then normal. stress...

How long did the pain go away for from after the filling? Also, You said the pain is not constant? Does it go away completely then come back?

I would keep monitoring it with the dentist or doctors, You'll figure it out eventally. In the mean time try and do everything you can to help or eliviate the pain. Maybe try some sinus medication to see if that eliminates it. Or acupuncture may help for the pain. Exersize?

Old 01-13-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
    redworrier
    (female)

redworrier HB User

Thanks for the replies!

Well, all day today I've had no teeth pain....as long as my top and bottom teeth don't touch. It's migrated up above my top teeth on the right. It's def. nerve pain. When my top and bottom touch even slightly it feels like the most painful shock that goes through the right side of my face. It's the worst feeling...like being electricuted. I have a cold right now so I'm thinking that sinus pressure was putting alot pressure on my nerves.... I'm not sure though. I'm just glad the pain has moved out of my teeth. Yeah, when I said that the pain wasn't constant - it's like the pain would come on very fast and VERY intense and then over about 15 min. or so it would start to alliviate and ease up. It would do this allllll day and I was at my limit last night the pain was so intense.

There actually IS an old filling right below the nerve pain but I'm not sure if that's coincedence or not?

Old 01-14-2007, 04:28 AM   #8
    Petronilla
    (female)

Petronilla HB User

Hello Redworrier,
    I am experiencing something very similar right now!! I try to sleep (I sleep during the day) and then I wake up ten minutes later like you said, as if I am being electrocuted. I cant even remain still because the pain is so intense. I pace back and forth and yell and try to breath, sometimes getting dizzy.. But then I get the pain to go enough for me to sleep (around a 3) and wake up fifteen minutes later (or 30 if Im lucky) only to repeat this cycle again. Right now the pain stays with my 24 hours/day, with intermittant "attacks". The pain started in Novemeber, left for a month, and now is back with a vengeance.
    The pain is in the back of my head, both upper and lower jaw, in my face, etc.
    As I am without all forms of health coverage, please let me know what happens with you! I am wondering what is wrong with me and I hope you continue to feel better!
    (btw I have never had a filling)

Old 01-14-2007, 09:03 PM   #9
    suzyisdizzy
    (female)

suzyisdizzy HB User

I just want to chime in here.
    10 years ago I was going through the exact same thing as you. I was in BLINDING pain and the dentist couldn't find anything. I too was told it was from grinding my teeth at night. They even made me a mouth guard to wear. The pain was unreal. I couldn't believe that teeth grinding would cause so much pain. Well.....it WASN"T teeth grinding after all. One day the pain was so bad, and I noticed that my lower jaw was swollen and the gland there was swollen. I went to an emergency dental clinic, where, upon inspection, they didn't think there was anything wrong with the tooth either! She asked if I wanted a root canal anyway, I said YES. Well, she drilled down into the tooth and LOW AND BEHOLD... THE TOOTH WAS BLACK AND DEAD AND INFECTED!
    I was in desparate need of a root canal for 2 months and yet NO ONE KNEW IT! So the moral of the story is, sometimes infections and dead teeth don't always show up on xrays.
    If the pain in unbearable, something must be seriously wrong.
    I hope you find help and feel better soon.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
    s.g.
    (female)

s.g. HB User

I hope it's only an infected tooth, sinuses or clenching and grinding. Although very rare your symptoms and the symptoms of someone else on this post sound like trigeminal neuralgia. This pain is ungodly. I know alot about this since I have had a lot of pain and inflammation of the trigeminal nerve. It seemed like I went to every Dr. and dentist in the state and then an endodontist who did a root canal that I ended up not needing. THe 2nd endo I saw said I needed to see a neurologist. I did and he knew right away what it was. I also had an MRI to rule out a brain tumor or MS. This is very rare and very, very, very rare in anyone under the age of 50. I am 30. i was 29 when it started. Thankfully, I did not have a tumor or MS, but the MRI showed major inflammation of the trigeminal nerve. I went on meds to help and eventually it settled down to a bearable point. Some people have to have brain surgery to fix this. Sonetimes it cannot be fixed. I hope it never gets to that point for me. I pray to God this is not what it is and I do not intend to scare you. The info out there on this type of problem doesn't sound very positive, but it does not have to be a death sentence. Like I said it is rare, you won't die from it, but you might wish you would. The electric shocks and the way they come and go sound very similar and that is a symtom of this terrible disorder. It is also very hard to diagnose. Hang in there and if your dentist does not know what is going on or it does not get better consider seeing your family dr. or a neurologist. I hope you feel better.

Good luck,
    s.g.

[Please do not use cuss/slang words. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 01-18-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #11
    ween
    (female)

ween HB User

I experienced this same thing about 15 years ago. I went to the dentist and they said everything was fine. Finally I went to the doctor and it turned out that I had a severe sinus infection. They gave me augmentin and it cleared it right up. No more pain in my teeth.

Closed Thread