It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Shallow Palate & Denture Question!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2007, 04:41 AM   #1
    wits end 47
    (female)

wits end 47 HB User
    Shallow Palate & Denture Question!

Does anyone that wears an upper denture have a shallow palate? If so does it create any problems for you wearing your denture?? Like not having enough room to form your words when you speak because your tongue is always hitting the denture..I would appreciate hearing from everyone that has this problem and if there is some way they have overcome the problem..

Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
    stick2013
    Inactive
    (female)

stick2013 HB User
    Re: Shallow Palate & Denture Question!

Hi,

I'm not sure if I have the same problem as you, but I will tell you my story. I just had a new set of dentures made. Apparently my mouth is so small that they had to use the pediatric mold for me. Anyway, I picked up my dentures on Monday, and I am NOT a happy camper. They look fine, but I can't talk...... I am slurring my words like a drunk that has had a 12 pack. CH TH and S's are BAD... I also (to me) sound like I have a mouthful of cotton while I am talking.

Yeah, I feel like going out and talking up a storm in a group of people....NOT!!!!! I am self conscience, and REALLY having a hard time with this.

Glad that I could type this, and NOT have to ssssssspeak.

Sid

Old 01-13-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
    wits end 47
    (female)

wits end 47 HB User

Sid,

I take it you had a denture before this new one...with it were you ok and able to speak correctly and did the same dentist make this one??

This is my second one in less than a year and I have had nothing but pain and trouble with both of them, and they were made by different dentist and don't know what to do now.

Thanks,

Old 01-14-2007, 07:20 AM   #4
    stick2013
    Inactive
    (female)

stick2013 HB User

Hi Wit,

This is actually my 3rd set in 8 yrs. I have had problems with all of them. All 3 sets made by different dentist. First set...If I smiled you could see where they stopped, they never went all the way up my gums.

Second set. NEVER FIT at all, and they were huge. But I struggled along for 7 1/2 yrs with them. Third set.... so tiny they look like they came out of the mouth of a five yr old, They fit ok, but I can't talk right, and right now, I have the bottoms out because of sores. I went back to my dentist, and he said that I talk fine... But EVERYONE I know has asked me if there is something wrong???

So I am NOT a happy camper, and I feel for you.......How long have you had the second set? Have you gone back in for an adjustment????

I will be knocking at his door on Monday... OH NO is it a holiday??

Hugs,

Sid

[Please do not use cuss/slang words. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 01-14-2007 at 09:16 PM.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
    momz129
    (female)

momz129 HB User

I am having the same problem it feels like I have a speed bump in front of my mouth and it is hitting my tongue. My upper lip also looks like the Grinch. I am having a hard time talking. I will be going back to my dentist Thursday to see what he can do. If I get any relief I will let you know.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:48 AM   #6
    Sandybeech
    Veteran
    (female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

I wear full dentures but do not have a shallow palate. I think the issues you are having are mostly the result of the denture being too thick. Try comparing this current denture with the one you just retired. New or immediate dentures are usually made by impressions taken when you still had some teeth so they will not be as exact as they should be- the new denture should fit like a glove and be somewhat thinner and more contoured to your mouth.

I know initially we think we sound strange and words get caught up in our dentures- try talking into a tape recorder or video camera so that you can hear what others hear- what we hear in our head is different.

By all means, make the dentist aware of your concerns about the denture- you have to wear it, not him or her. Did you have a try in stage before the denture was finished?

Sandy

Old 01-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
    momz129
    (female)

momz129 HB User

This is the first time I ever had dentures and yes they were immediate dentures with the impressions taken with my old caps which were in two pieces . one side broke off so I had an emergency visit to the dentist just before Christmas. I had eighteen teeth on top and two on the bottom removed, bone was shaved and bite was moved back. Boy I was a mess for the holidays, but I survived , Now If I only can talk right I will be a happy camper. I will see the dentist this Thursday and tell him my problems. Hope he can shave some of the fatness off and remove the speed bump in my mouth. Will let you know how it went.

Closed Thread